Quantcast
Building a Recording Studio for a School - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Building a Recording Studio for a School
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It just occurred to me that you could have used the inserts on the soundcraft as unbalanced tape send/returns with the HD24. Each channel would automatically follow the corresponding HD24 channel input setting. Wire it to the patchbay so outboard can be patched pre/post HD24. There is zero latency when the HD24 passes analog audio inputs to it's analog outs, and the digital and analog outs always follow the input.

I decided to post this because it may prove useful to someone that finds this thread with a keyword search.
Old 25th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
UPDATE!!!!!

We're not able to buy from Amazon or Ebay because the school needs a salesperson to speak to.

So the ADAT interfaces are out. And now they've discontinued Profire 2626 too so that's out as well.

So it looks like we're going with the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid, which is quite above our original budget but it does allow 24 I/O which I think is important.

The next thing they're asking for is a "no holds barred" option where we put in a "real" console and spend a bunch more. To see if it gets approved.

My original thought was to get an Avid C24 but that takes us back a bit as we're not learning signal flow as much using a controller as opposed to a mixer.

Thoughts about what we should get instead?
Old 25th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Kenny, looks like I'm late to the party with this thread but a simple used RME 9652 PCI card interface (get the newer version with 2 midi I/O) for $300 when teamed up with their Alesis HD24 for it's converters will give you 24 channels of I/O via ADAT optical cables. Make the HD24 master and just send clocking thru the ADAT cable (standard of having the A/D converter as master). The RME interface will be the best for lowest latency under full load with their rock solid drivers. It's been a very proven combination for years here. If you can't buy one off ebay look at craigslist and the classifieds here and on other audio sites so they can talk to the seller. By the way you or a friend could buy one off ebay and then resell it to the school at no increase in price so that they would have a person to talk to. In addition, if you ever decide to expand and do more than 24 channels of analog mixing using the computer as a tape recorder and editor (more hybrid) you can have multiple 9652's in a computer (you can run three 9652 cards for 72 channels I/O). Many other interfaces won't expand or have very limited expansion. And yes you can still build a new computer using a new CPU that has three PCI slots on the motherboard. I can't see how you are going to beat a proven, expandable 24 channel I/O interface like the 9652 for only $300. IF you are stuck buying new for the interface the RME Raydat PCIe card will have 32 channels of ADAT cable interface (again just team it up with the HD24 for converters) but be at least double the price.

There is a free app for the HD24 and in combination with picking up a specific cheap USB drive caddy for the HD24's IDE drive will let you use the HD24 as a stand alone hard disk recorder (remote recording) and just pop the drive out of the HD24's drive caddy into a caddy in the studio computer to do quick file transfers to your DAW of choice. Details and links can be found here with old threads and using the search function.
Old 26th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
^^^^^^^^^^^^

New from a dealer seems to be the only way to go for the school. Otherwise I would have picked up this guy:

M-AUDIO PROFIRE LIGHTBRIDGE | eBay

Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Maybe you can contact this guy since he is selling two of them and runs a commercial venture otherwise you are looking at $650 for a new RME 9652 PCI and $850 for a new RME Raydat PCIe.

RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 DSP 24 96K Digital PCI Card with Expansion Board | eBay

If you go the Profire route do some research on the drivers as I remember some old posts about problems (maybe that is all ironed out by now) and check what their real world latency is.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Unfortunately we don't have a PCI based mac so it needs to be Firewire.

The problem with buying from anyone with limited stock is that the PO could take 30 - 60 days. If it gets approved and the piece is gone, we're screwed.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Kenny, you know enough about computers to know the problems with firewire interfaces (right chipset / usually choke after 16 channels) to know what you'll need to research before committing to one that will handle your 24 channels of I/O at low latency. If that doesn't work it looks like a new PCIe card option from a dealer would be the RME Raydat for $850 (maybe better if you shop around).
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➑️
UPDATE!!!!!

We're not able to buy from Amazon or Ebay because the school needs a salesperson to speak to.

So the ADAT interfaces are out. And now they've discontinued Profire 2626 too so that's out as well.

So it looks like we're going with the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid, which is quite above our original budget but it does allow 24 I/O which I think is important.

The next thing they're asking for is a "no holds barred" option where we put in a "real" console and spend a bunch more. To see if it gets approved.

My original thought was to get an Avid C24 but that takes us back a bit as we're not learning signal flow as much using a controller as opposed to a mixer.

Thoughts about what we should get instead?
What about PrismSound Orpheus and teaching the kids how to short circuit the streaming services to get unlimited freedom to music, I love it...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I know there is some uncertainty about M-Audio and Avid, but the Profire line (2626 and 610) are the only devices that aren't going disco just yet.

Firewire can handle far more than 16 channels before choking. What gets dicey is when you have a HDD on the same FW bus and your session is many channels deep. PT10HD Native (or PT10 +CPTK) solves that problem with disk cache. I record 32 channels with 32 samples latency on a regular basis. Disk usage never tops 3%. Also latency is a non issue if you're building cues from the mixer's channel input path. If you must punch in and monitor the DAW instead of the zero latency analog path, the PT low latency monitoring feature allows a pair of channel outputs to run at frighteningly low latency.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins ➑️
I know there is some uncertainty about M-Audio and Avid, but the Profire line (2626 and 610) are the only devices that aren't going disco just yet.
Where have you heard this?

profire 2626 | Sweetwater.com

I found one dealer that had a few but can't hold them for me.
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm going to have to dig around to find my source again.... I'll see what I can find.
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I guess I'm wrong. The price seems to have dropped below $400 across the board.

That's actually good news if you can get someone to hold it for you until the purchase order goes through. Any good sales rep would do that if you're buying several pieces from them.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins ➑️
I guess I'm wrong. The price seems to have dropped below $400 across the board.
Well I was rooting for you.
πŸ“ Reply