Quantcast
Studio Setup Help Needed - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio Setup Help Needed
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Studio Setup Help Needed

Hey there, im wondering if you could help me. I have a small studio setup in my garage and i need help setting it up.. Ill explain my problem.

I got into a DIY frenzy over the past year and build myself a dual API preamp clone, dual neve 1073 preamp clone, an LA3A clone and a few other things including a u47 clone. I also have a universal audio 6176.

What im wondering is what would be the best way for me to go about racking these (mainly the compressors) that i can use them whilst tracking and also whilst mixing without have to go routing at the back of them changing cables.

At the min for example i have 1 of my api's going into my 1176 then into my la3a and then into my computer whilst tracking. If i want to use my 1176 or la3a whilst mixing i have to go changing cables from my converter etc.

I know a patchbay is the obvious answer, and it would make sense for when i wanted to use them for mixing but if i connected the compressors to my patchbay how could i use them during tracking considering i track through my racked preamps? is it a done thing to connect preamps up to a patchbay? if this was the case id also have to connect up my daw inputs and outputs to the patch bay also.

I have a desk but its a fairly crapy studiomaster, i only really use it for talkback and extra channels if needed.

Apologies for the long winded question.. I hope it made sense.. I know it probably a simple answer but any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks a million
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
is it a done thing to connect preamps up to a patchbay? if this was the case id also have to connect up my daw inputs and outputs to the patch bay also.
Studios have pres attached to a patch bay all the time. That's what they're there for. And yes, you would have to have your converter in/outs on the patch bay as well.

The only thing is if you are using phantom power on a mic preamp don't unplug or plug in a mic (using the TT or 1/4" patch cable) to the patch bay channel that leads to that mic pre input if the phantom is on. You'll pop the diaphragm on that mic.

You could set it up so all of the mic preamps are XLR inputs on the patchbay.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
cheers, thanks for the reply..
๐Ÿ“ Reply