Quantcast
Sony C-37a polarity Question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony C-37a polarity Question
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Sony C-37a polarity Question

The Sony C-37a Has two polarity options. I read that One is "N" for non directional (Omni) and the other is "U" for Uni directional (Cardioid).

My question is when I put it on The "U" setting, Sound is still getting picked up from the Backside.

Should I be getting sound from the backside on this position? Is the "U" not a true cardioid setting or is my mic polarity switch broken?

Thanks
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
the reason I say that sound is getting picked up from the backside is because when I tap on the back of the microphone on each polar position, I am picking up those taps on both positions.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Well if your judging by tapping, that is not the best method, tapping makes the whole microphone vibrate and if you have an even slightly microphonic tube THAT'S what your going to be hearing. Try lightly scratching the grill or better yet whisper into both sides listen to the HF response as those waves are more directional. Hope this helps!

Sent from my LG-VS700
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Put on headphones and talk while turning the mic around and listen for how much rejection you get in cardioid as compared to omni.
I often do finger snaps while listening on headphones if I'm questioning my polar pattern is not correct.
It'll let you know real fast!

The Sony does have mechanical switching for the polar patterns to change.

I believe James Gangwer could help you out if you end up having a problem.

Last edited by mattallen; 15th September 2012 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake
๐Ÿ“ Reply