Quantcast
Best piece of equipment to compliment headphones? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best piece of equipment to compliment headphones?
Old 15th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Best piece of equipment to compliment headphones?

I am looking to upgrade my music listening experience. I currently use onboard audio with some relatively decent cans (sennheiser pro 280), but as you probably understand it is not quite there interms of music playback quality. What I am looking for, is new headphones and something that will compliment them. Onboard audio is terrible no matter how you look at it. I Would also like something that is semi-portable, something I can connect to a different PC easily when I need to. I have looked into USB interfaces but all of them seem to be build with recording in mind, features that I will most likely not use. Basically what piece of equipment will make a great pair of headphones sound the way they where meant?

Thank you.
(Apologies if in the wrong section, just registered and I am not quite familiar with the forum)
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
here is a page at Amazon with a bunch of usb headphone amps

you might want to search out reviews of them for relative sound quality, but I would imagine any of them will beat the on board earphone jack of your laptop by a country mile

real hi-fi headphone amps can be very expensive as can real hi-fi headphones. Only you can decide what your budget is.

Headroom audio is a good source for reviews and pricing information. They have always struck me as relatively unbiased as opposed to some places that seem to pushing certain brands.
Old 15th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
So what I need is a headphones amp? Is it basically like a sound card for headphones? Or do I still need a dedicated sound card?
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Slickman0o ➡️
So what I need is a headphones amp? Is it basically like a sound card for headphones?
Yes it would be your "sound card" via USB - though it probably doesn't have audio IN to your computer the way an audio "interface" for a DAW would

Hopefully they are putting some attention to the analog side of the amplification as well as the converters

that's where reviews of the sound quality would be useful, but as I said, any of them almost have to be better than the earphone jack of your computer
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…