Quantcast
Console Advice: H1000 or Pm2000? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Console Advice: H1000 or Pm2000?
Old 15th September 2012
Console Advice: H1000 or Pm2000?

Hello all
I have found myself with a choice to make, a local audio warehouse is clearing its back stock and I have an opportunity to pick up these two consoles:

Yamaha Pm2000 32channel frame w/power supply
or
Midas Heritage 1000 32channel (16 mono/16stereo) w/Power supply

They have both been sitting for at least 4 years without any signal being passed through them and are available to me very cheap. The slut in me says take both, but the female the runs the household says bring home both and find a new house. I would be using them to mix returns from a DAW and in future to track and mix from a 16track tape machine and DAW combo.

I have used both boards in a live setting but wondered what the possibilities of studio work for each might be? Preferences? Maintenance nightmare stories? Recommendations? Thanks!
Old 3rd November 2012
no love for either huh?

I really liked the midas for live work and know its sound and eqs. Plus it has dual input modules and direct outs as standard. All "pros" in my book as it is easy to interface and route.

But I got the PM2000 home and reaaaaalllyy loved listening to some zeppelin records through it! This thing sounds like rock n roll!

Anybody have experience and can offer any advice here?
Would you deal with the extreme weight and the mod costs needed (stereo/master bus, eqs, solo, recap and fader maintenance) with the PM2000 just to keep the transformer sound?

thanks
Old 3rd November 2012
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have no direct experience specifically with the 2k, the Midas Heritage 1000 is a very nice desk though, unfortunately some of these had serious issues..apparently..
I worked on a Midas H2000 and it's a great board.. Even if somehow I still preferred the XL2 to that though...

Cheu
Old 3rd November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you like having the rock and roll transformer sound then it seems like the pm2000 is the way to go. It uses api 2520 style op amps on the outputs too so you have the option to swap the original yamaha op amps out and try others in their place. I think there are eq mods that you buy through JLM audio as well as another option or just use the console stock!!

I have a transformer console and love having that warmth from the console!!
Old 3rd November 2012
Thanks guys!
Cheu- what do you mean by issues with H1000?
Were there issues specifically with the H1000 models and not the 2 or 3000 models? Thanks

Axis- yeah thats what I (and my sore back from moving the beast) am afraid of. Damn Out on the tiles! Why did I turn it on?

Last edited by 6293; 4th November 2012 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: the the
Old 4th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfish ➡️
Thanks guys!
Cheu- what do you mean by issues with H1000?
Were there issues specifically with the H1000 models and not the 2 or 3000 models? Thanks
Yep, apparently there are problems with the connection on the motherboard.. I never had direct experiences but I was told so.. Only on the 1000 though.. But I'm not sure if it's with every 1000 or only some of them..

I had no worries on the 2000.. (was a freaking large desk! heh)

Cheu
Old 4th November 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
We have a 1k - great sounding board but it has gremlins with the logic which make its way into the audio path in the form of pops, solos behaving erratically etc - has happened a few times. The board is currently out of service and seeing it has happened more than once I'm a bit reluctant to let it out the door which is a shame but $ and time to constantly repair it are over taking the rental you get for it.
Old 4th November 2012
Ah!!! I was wondering if there were any problems with the assignment of groups and auxes via the automation system. The H2000 had pots that depressed to select assignments for auxes like an XL250 and a more traditional group assign panel. Thanks for the heads up guys!
📝 Reply