Quantcast
How does the monitor speaker business work ?? Help from experts please ?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How does the monitor speaker business work ?? Help from experts please ??
Old 15th September 2012
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
How does the monitor speaker business work ?? Help from experts please ??

Hi guys, my team and I have been working on quite a revolutionary monitor speaker design and very helpful concepts and ideas built in to help mixing engineers provide a better quality of work and much quicker.

We are on our last stages of design and testing and the final perfect product will be finished very soon.

We already have the suppliers of raw materials, we already have the manufacturing plant.

Guys who have experience in the domain and know how the business works, would you mind helping us by explaining us how to distribute a product ??

How do we get the product from the manufacturing company, to online shops, to the professional shops etc ??

How to get this product known to the world ??

How to prove the quality of the product? (we have tested and know that it excels in what it does.)

I am curious about those things because we will have only 1 prototype from the manufacturing company and we have to manufacture at least 2000 of those.(The company doesn't work if we order less than 2000). And it costs a lot of money.

We also have to ship everything directly to shops or distributors etc, as the manufacturing plant doesn't offer any storage capacity.

So logically, we will have to find our clients first, and once the products are manufactured, they will ship the products directly to the respective shops.

But how to sell a product before it is actually manufactured, if we only have a prototype and a solid, well documented project??

This question might sound very stupid but actually we a small team of engineers, sound passionate and designers working on this project, but we don't really know how the business works :(

Thanks a lot in advance for your precious help

Kirk
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
make a website or printed material about your product and send it out to industry people to introduce them to your product. include contact info.

get in touch with a bunch of distributors, stores, and engineers to setup a meet and greet to show your product. people will want to hear it.

look for trade shows, get a booth, show it off.

maybe some real world engineers can endorse your product?

get a warehouse to take care of storage and inventory management. they can manage shipping too. of course this will cost. this is what my family business (I am not involved) does when shipping their goods to their clients.

just some ideas.

hire marketing and sales people?

oto
Old 15th September 2012
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Monitor speakers are like the viewfinder for a camera. It's all about how they affect one's creative decisions and not about how impressive they sound. Some speakers are easy to learn while others seem to never produce predictable results. Some are reliably uniform from unit to unit while others have huge variations that result in never being able to count on them. I've never been able to tell how good monitors are in less than a month of daily use. Obviously some strike out sooner than that.

You need to arrange for people to try doing real work on them because word of mouth is your main marketing tool. Brick and mortar stores are dying so you'll probably need to start out by selling direct. You'll also need your own warehouse because you need to QC the speakers to make sure there are no unacceptable variations.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74 ➑️
make a website or printed material about your product and send it out to industry people to introduce them to your product. include contact info.

get in touch with a bunch of distributors, stores, and engineers to setup a meet and greet to show your product. people will want to hear it.

look for trade shows, get a booth, show it off.

maybe some real world engineers can endorse your product?

get a warehouse to take care of storage and inventory management. they can manage shipping too. of course this will cost. this is what my family business (I am not involved) does when shipping their goods to their clients.

just some ideas.

hire marketing and sales people?

oto
Thanks a lot for those very useful insights Sir !!! I am noting them Good Idea

The meet and greet show is an amazing idea !!! I was wondering how it would cost to go and meet each one of them lol

When you mean a warehouse , do you mean creating one ? or there exists warehouses that store and manage products ??

Again thanks a lot for your time I have so much to learn in this domain :D
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➑️
Monitor speakers are like the viewfinder for a camera. It's all about how they affect one's creative decisions and not about how impressive they sound. Some speakers are easy to learn while others seem to never produce predictable results. Some are reliably uniform from unit to unit while others have huge variations that result in never being able to count on them. I've never been able to tell how good monitors are in less than a month of daily use. Obviously some strike out sooner than that.

You need to arrange for people to try doing real work on them because word of mouth is your main marketing tool. Brick and mortar stores are dying so you'll probably need to start out by selling direct. You'll also need your own warehouse because you need to QC the speakers to make sure there are no unacceptable variations.
Thanks a lot for your ideas and reply Bob!!!

Yes actually it was meant to be a serious viewfinder to help engineers find very specific flaws that even top engineers tend to leave ... like harshness in sounds and piercing sibilances, to name a few. It was made to compensate for the design flaws of speakers out there ... to compliment setups

Would you mind hearing it sometime ?

It's got a bunch of weapons(1 secret) in a relatively cheap package , for the good of the music community :D ... it's a little intelligent game changer

Having our own warehouse sounds very expensive :( IS there an alternative to this ?? for example performing the check at the manufacturing facility itself, just after assembly and before packing ??

The question of storage is a very delicate one, that's why I thought about distributors, who supposedly have their own storage, from what I have read ??
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you're welcome.

regarding the warehouse, you don't have to buy one. there are companies that offer warehouse services and manage inventory and shipping for companies like yourself. for an example, one warehouse could cater to 20 different business. your cost will depend on how much you are storing and shipping. I think that, based on what I've understood, there is a base price per month or year and also a percentage fee involved with each item shipped.

where are you located? I can provide you with a few names in CA and NJ to get you started.

I would look for a company who have dealt with high end electronics before since you don't want your products being tossed around like a box of bras.
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74 ➑️
you're welcome.

regarding the warehouse, you don't have to buy one. there are companies that offer warehouse services and manage inventory and shipping for companies like yourself. for an example, one warehouse could cater to 20 different business. your cost will depend on how much you are storing and shipping. I think that, based on what I've understood, there is a base price per month or year and also a percentage fee involved with each item shipped.

where are you located? I can provide you with a few names in CA and NJ to get you started.

I would look for a company who have dealt with high end electronics before since you don't want your products being tossed around like a box of bras.
Again thank you for your advice and help my friend

I am actually from Denmark but my other colleagues are from around the world, but we are planning to make the assembly in China, where they assemble electronics for big name speaker brands and China is also quite a strategic platform for shipping.

Oh yes please, I would be very grateful if I could have the names of those companies and begin to make some research and build a strategy

Thanks a bunch Otobianki!!!

The gearslutz community is indeed a great platform with really amazing people
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AES San Francisco

Get a booth and some pamphlets. Sell speakers.
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Just a thought - if you're selling top of the range, high end monitors, do you really want the stigma of 'Made in China' on the box? I know it's cheaper, but it's not going to help you when trying to build a quality reputation.

Also, do you have your patents sorted out? If these things are that good, you don't want other companies stealing your design. Make sure to get that sorted in you major countries of interest.
Old 16th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis ➑️
AES San Francisco

Get a booth and some pamphlets. Sell speakers.
Thank you a lot Greg!!!! noted
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattLyonsMusic ➑️
Just a thought - if you're selling top of the range, high end monitors, do you really want the stigma of 'Made in China' on the box? I know it's cheaper, but it's not going to help you when trying to build a quality reputation.

Also, do you have your patents sorted out? If these things are that good, you don't want other companies stealing your design. Make sure to get that sorted in you major countries of interest.
Thank you Matt for your time and insights!!!!

Actually it is not "made" in china but "assembled." Many of the parts, speaker , electronics are from Denmark/Germany ...

Actually the speaker is supposed to be very cheap and accessible to all , our prime vision was to make a positive impact on the musical and engineering world, and rid music from problems like harshness, hardness , ear piercing sounds that are sometimes not tamed or heard by even the best mixing/mastering engineers. .. because their monitor speakers soften those problems instead of frankly revealing and EXPOSING them to the engineer.

It is also built to be a precision tool, a scalpel to really taylor the sound, and dynamics with great precision... The speaker is here to show you how your sound really is, it is not here to compliment you at all, or pat you in the back if your sounds sucks. I think it is a tool made by perfectionists , for perfectionists, which I think we all are if we are in the recording/mixing/mastering domain :D

We studied all the flaws that monitor speakers have and all the aspects of the design that can color your sound and compromise the truth ... and we worked for years to solve those problems(just as a challenge) + we added some goodies(which will be patented of course)

The aim behind the idea is to share this technology and thinking with all the engineers out there, to compliment their systems , at a stupid affordable price It could seriously make the world a better place ...and this is our prime motivation
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Interestingly, a lot of harsh or limited-sounding speakers are very popular for mixing... the Yamaha NS10 is notoriously harsh, and a lot of mixing gets done on Auratones, which are severely and deliberately bandwidth-limited.

If you've designed a speaker that is really pleasant to listen to and removes harshness, you might have more luck working the hi-fi field than the studio monitor field. We're not mixing for perfect speakers. We're mixing for cars and iPod earbuds and whatever other horrid thing people might be using to reproduce our mixes. So the mixing speaker ideal (for me at least) is about translation, not accuracy.
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kludge ➑️
Interestingly, a lot of harsh or limited-sounding speakers are very popular for mixing... the Yamaha NS10 is notoriously harsh, and a lot of mixing gets done on Auratones, which are severely and deliberately bandwidth-limited.

If you've designed a speaker that is really pleasant to listen to and removes harshness, you might have more luck working the hi-fi field than the studio monitor field. We're not mixing for perfect speakers. We're mixing for cars and iPod earbuds and whatever other horrid thing people might be using to reproduce our mixes. So the mixing speaker ideal (for me at least) is about translation, not accuracy.
My dear, I think you have not read well what I have written

Or maybe I did not express myself well. I apologize. I am Danish :D

Let me explain again.

We want to EXPOSE problems like harshness, hardness , ear piercing sounds that are sometimes not tamed or heard by even the best mixing/mastering engineers... BECAUSE SOME MONITORS TEND TO SOFTEN THOSE PROBLEMS.

We want engineers to learly hear and get rid of those problems by EXPOSING them to the engineer, instead of softening them like lots of monitor speakers do.

We have even created a GOODIE that simulates distortion that can occur on large PA systems that accentuate those harsh sounds , so that Engineers can make sure that their mixes won't tear people's ears off, when played in less than ideal sound setups.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk_Johansen ➑️
Let me explain again.

We want to EXPOSE problems like harshness, hardness , ear piercing sounds that are sometimes not tamed or heard by even the best mixing/mastering engineers... BECAUSE SOME MONITORS TEND TO SOFTEN THOSE PROBLEMS.

We want engineers to learly hear and get rid of those problems by EXPOSING them to the engineer, instead of softening them like lots of monitor speakers do.

We have even created a GOODIE that simulates distortion that can occur on large PA systems that accentuate those harsh sounds , so that Engineers can make sure that their mixes won't tear people's ears off, when played in less than ideal sound setups.
Dude I think you've got the answer to my prayers

When are those coming to Cali ? Who will be selling them and when ?
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1. Get patents sorted for various territories, particularly US and EU.
2. Get some basic blurb sorted: pamphlets that actually describe what is unique, rather than simply saying how "Awesome" they are; a decent technical manual with waterfall plots etc; a professional looking web site with contact details.
3. Tell some people about it. Get some people to listen to the things and give you some opinions. You'll need that sort of opinion/endorsement to talk to people when you show them. Get permission to quote people on your seb site and promo blurb.
4. Get them on show: AES, Winter NAMM & Frankfurt Messe in particular. Try to interest some distributors/major resellers there - there are plenty of them looking for new lines. When it comes to pricing, bear in mind that they'll need to make some money too.
5. Organise some follow-up demos in an environment that's conducive to critical listening. Eg, get to LA, NY, London etc and hire a studio for the day and get the journalists and producers along. Encourage them to bring reference material of their own...
6. Get them on sale and get them reviewed in Pro Audio & home recording mags: send press releases to SOS, Resolution, Audio Media, Mix/EQ, Tape Op, Future, Music Tech etc etc

7. Re-mortgage all your houses so you can risk all your worldy goods backing this one horse Seriously, if you've not got a great idea about this already, then I suspect you'll be in for a rude awakening. At the very best, your product will probably start off with a rather higher retail price than you're hoping for.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It sounds like you need to complete your business plan. You appear to have identified the market (studio monitors), identified a need (even more accurate/neutral/revealing sound transducers), have a unique technology/design that solves for the need and have determined a process to make the product. Good

What's missing is a manufacturing and operations plan that is integrated with a sales, marketing and distribution plan. What also seems to be missing is a financing plan, as you are going to need money to get this enterprise off the ground.

At a minimum I would bring someone into your team that can help write a complete business plan. (a finance person would be great) and you have to get someone who has experience in the sale and distribution of similar products.

PS: The sooner you can get a number of respected sound engineer/producer in front of these the better to 1) Validate the quality/value of the product 2) gain endorsement/support. Before I spend a lot more money or time, I would want to test market the product to validate that

" a critical need has been met by a correctly priced product"

Good luck
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecsribet ➑️
Dude I think you've got the answer to my prayers

When are those coming to Cali ? Who will be selling them and when ?
Hi Alecsribet !!! Well yes we decided to create this line to actually answer the prayers of people like you

But what exactly do you like about what you could read about our concept ? I would be very interested to know.

I don't know when we will be selling them sorry , there are so many things to sort out first
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedup ➑️
1. Get patents sorted for various territories, particularly US and EU.
2. Get some basic blurb sorted: pamphlets that actually describe what is unique, rather than simply saying how "Awesome" they are; a decent technical manual with waterfall plots etc; a professional looking web site with contact details.
3. Tell some people about it. Get some people to listen to the things and give you some opinions. You'll need that sort of opinion/endorsement to talk to people when you show them. Get permission to quote people on your seb site and promo blurb.
4. Get them on show: AES, Winter NAMM & Frankfurt Messe in particular. Try to interest some distributors/major resellers there - there are plenty of them looking for new lines. When it comes to pricing, bear in mind that they'll need to make some money too.
5. Organise some follow-up demos in an environment that's conducive to critical listening. Eg, get to LA, NY, London etc and hire a studio for the day and get the journalists and producers along. Encourage them to bring reference material of their own...
6. Get them on sale and get them reviewed in Pro Audio & home recording mags: send press releases to SOS, Resolution, Audio Media, Mix/EQ, Tape Op, Future, Music Tech etc etc

7. Re-mortgage all your houses so you can risk all your worldy goods backing this one horse Seriously, if you've not got a great idea about this already, then I suspect you'll be in for a rude awakening. At the very best, your product will probably start off with a rather higher retail price than you're hoping for.
Thank you Sir for your tips and observations actually doing the patenting procedures Your other points make a lot of sense as well, me and my colleague are actually noting everything we can find about this subject and find strategies to get things moving
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephi82 ➑️
It sounds like you need to complete your business plan. You appear to have identified the market (studio monitors), identified a need (even more accurate/neutral/revealing sound transducers), have a unique technology/design that solves for the need and have determined a process to make the product. Good

What's missing is a manufacturing and operations plan that is integrated with a sales, marketing and distribution plan. What also seems to be missing is a financing plan, as you are going to need money to get this enterprise off the ground.

At a minimum I would bring someone into your team that can help write a complete business plan. (a finance person would be great) and you have to get someone who has experience in the sale and distribution of similar products.

PS: The sooner you can get a number of respected sound engineer/producer in front of these the better to 1) Validate the quality/value of the product 2) gain endorsement/support. Before I spend a lot more money or time, I would want to test market the product to validate that

" a critical need has been met by a correctly priced product"

Good luck
Thank you Ephi for your great advices and your time! very much appreciated

Oh yes we seriously need a business plan ,financing plan & sales marketing and distribution plan ... but those are possible, we will work for it We know that we have a great product and definitely are confident that it will be a game changer ... definitely not the conventional or ordinary speakers people are so used to see and hear
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
From a business plan perspective, don't get too caught up in manufacturing plans until you've had prototypes evaluated in studios operating at your target price point, by experienced engineers.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➑️
You need to arrange for people to try doing real work on them because word of mouth is your main marketing tool.
That's the Word.
Old 17th September 2012
Village Idiot

🎧 15 years
This is based strictly on empirical experiences on Gearslutz.com

Post on GS about your revolutionary new monitordesign.
Set the price high and start taking pre-orders.
Figure the rest out as you go along

Or hire someone who knows about distribution and marketing?

Gustav
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
@kirk

Good luck with your new venture.

Would love to hear your product sometime
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk_Johansen
we will have only 1 prototype from the manufacturing company
I hope that means a pair.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbonmicguy ➑️
@kirk

Good luck with your new venture.

Would love to hear your product sometime
Hello Ribbonmicguy , I will sure send you a pm about it Thanks a lot for your interest
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompEq ➑️
I hope that means a pair.
Actually the concept is a hi-tech single speaker system to complement anybody's stereo system, BUT is it not an auratone or another gimmick like this.

This is serious precision, innovation, invention, quick problem solving capacities for professionals, that we are talking here

If this project takes off, we can say bye bye to harsh sounds, aggressive burts in the hf regions and ear piercing sibilances. For the benefit of the world of music
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Congratulations! Sounds like a very promising product.

It sounds like you need to hire a business consultant to help you finish your business plan. This will cover many of the cost details like storage overhead, expenses, and of course potential income from sales!

It also sounds like you need to hire a promoter / sales manager. You need a person who reaches out to companies, organizations, and individuals that could help raise the profile of your product. We here at gearslutz don't know your company; you need to change that! A savvy sales rep or manager will know the best points to leverage in your potential markets, and can show the studies and numbers to back up their decisions.

Don't do this on guesswork; it would be tragedy to have a great new product fail because it wasn't well introduced and promoted to those who might wish to buy it!

Hire a pro business consultant for this once you've collected some general ideas and info. Sounds like you're neck deep already in planning the product, but you need to spend more time developing the business plan. You will need a good one to corral any real investors, whom you will likely be needing soon.

Best of luck!
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
"Actually the concept is a hi-tech single speaker system to complement anybody's stereo system,"

I felt doubtful about your system up until I read the above. What you describe is something quite different from speaker/amp design. THAT has been done before (and been tripped up to various degrees by the usual bugaboos). It'll be interesting to find out how it works.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk_Johansen ➑️
Actually the concept is a hi-tech single speaker system to complement anybody's stereo system, BUT is it not an auratone or another gimmick like this.

This is serious precision, innovation, invention, quick problem solving capacities for professionals, that we are talking here
Have you seen the Manger? - A single driver that goes from under 100Hz to over 20kHz.

Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Bringing a product to market is very difficult and expensive (and risky) regardless of how innovative that product is - once you get all your patents and are protected - the best course of action might be to team-up with an established speaker company... one with sales, storage, distribution, manufacturing, etc you would work out a licensing/royalty deal for each sale but they would provide capital and infrastructure... It's at least something to explore as you move forward
πŸ“ Reply