What are you guy using, Tom Mics
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Booms. 421's or oktava 012's ...even though no one asked
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear
I used to get fantastic HUGE tom sounds out of my Yamaha Recording Customs using 421s with rim mount clips: no stands. However, as always they trashed the cymbal sound due to their nasty off-axis response unless gated.

But back on topic; I don't think vibrations transmitted are negative sound-wise. In fact I typically like what the transmission does to the sound. It's far from a true sound anyways, as you're close miking.

What's bad is what it can physically do to the mic. It knocked something loose in two of my 57s and now they rattle when using clips.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan ➡️
I use booms, not only for vibration transmission, but because the clip on options do not give me enough flexibility for mic placement.
Yes. IMHO, that's the huge difference that will be clearly audible to the end listener. Get that sucker in the right place. Sometimes 1/2 inch back makes the track. Clips are limited there.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Booms are obviously better for the previously mentioned reasons.... but in tight spaces/cramped studios (mine) I find that using tom clips drastically helps keep clutter under control. And considering I'm almost always manually gating toms in Pro Tools, vibration transfer isn't that much of a concern (...with heavy music/dense mixes).

When I do use clips, I use the Shures. With CAD M179s.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSueMe ➡️
But back on topic; I don't think vibrations transmitted are negative sound-wise. In fact I typically like what the transmission does to the sound. It's far from a true sound anyways, as you're close miking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory ➡️
considering I'm almost always manually gating toms in Pro Tools, vibration transfer isn't that much of a concern (...with heavy music/dense mixes)..
As mentioned above, clipping a piece of metal - with a heavy mic like a 421 attached to it - onto your tom-tom not only adds to the vibration of the mic, it inhibits the vibration of the drum itself.

Remind me again why I spent the extra money to suspend my toms from RIMS mounts?

Call me a snob, but to me, tom clips are a "live sound" practice.

I wonder how many engineers who think tom clips are "fine" are guitarists? I wonder how they would feel if they went into the studio and the engineer used a shortcut-y "live sound" technique to mic up their guitar?
Attached Thumbnails
What are you guy using, Tom Mics-lame-live.jpg  
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Live, I usually go for clips, IF I use them. It looks better and never caused me any vibration/sound problems. Boomstands have, since venues sometimes don't have enough to cover it all (yes, it happens, even in a very fancy place owned by very big rentalcompany...) or the arm slips, tom's move etc.

In the studio I always go with boomstands. Also because an MD421, M201 or C414 (my favourites on toms) isn't easy to position from a clip...
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yea I realized that after sorry

Sent from my PG86100 using Gearslutz App
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
ST.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I use clips -and- booms. It's the best of both worlds. I have two mounted toms and a floor tom. What I've done is set up ONE boom for my mounted toms and ONE boom for my floor tom. Two booms vs. three drums.

I have a boom stand with the boom totally horizontal in front of my mounted toms. I connected two snaking microphone clips to the horizontal boom. This gives me a decent amount of flexibility as far as positioning goes as well as compactness. Since the microphones are clipped on, I have a floor-ceiling axis as well as a left-right axis. Not only that, but regular mic clips attach to the end of the snakes allowing for more (although slight) placement options (should that be necessary).

FWIW, my mounted-tom mics are an ATM25 and an D112. I prefer the ATM25's sound to the D112, which, incidentally, can be a bit fussy with my set up due to its weight. You have to make sure to REALLY tighten the available hinges etc. on snaked microphone clips to avoid sagging.

I imagine my setup would also work with a three-mounted-tom kit as long as you use lighter microphones.

YMMV
I hope that helps!
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➡️
As mentioned above, clipping a piece of metal - with a heavy mic like a 421 attached to it - onto your tom-tom not only adds to the vibration of the mic, it inhibits the vibration of the drum itself.

Remind me again why I spent the extra money to suspend my toms from RIMS mounts?

I wonder how many engineers who think tom clips are "fine" are guitarists? I wonder how they would feel if they went into the studio and the engineer used a shortcut-y "live sound" technique to mic up their guitar?
It's not my business to question the engineer's methods as long as he's getting a good sound. He could stretch XXL trojans over the mics for all I care (better not be mine though LOL).

But seriously, if you want to capture that bit of extra resonance RIMS afford and by not using clips, etc., theoretically that sounds like the best method. But, in the end all that matters is that tom sound in the mix!

Personally I've never had to remove clips and use booms to get the sound I was looking for, although lately I've been only using booms. When using clips with 57s, for example (I realize they're a lot lighter than 421s), never did I say, "those toms sound choked" on my Sonor Beech Infinites. Of course, those are not your average drums, and the way I tune makes them resonate for days.

My Yamaha Recording Customs didn't seem to resonate as much as my Sonors, but the tom sound I got with clips and 421s was just killer. There was no need to switch to booms with that kit at all.

Admitedly, I haven't recorded many drummers' kits that they've tuned in a studio setting, and wouldn't be surprised if my experiences with clips vs. booms could be different. I can see how many factors could make the toms' resonance, for example, be effected more by weight being added to the drum. Theoretically I would imagine the heads, tuning, shell type, shell thickness, shell roundness, covering (if any), etc., could play a part to this sensitivity. I've struck some drums while holding them by their rims that retain their resonance/sustain better than others compared to when those drums are mounted using conventional methods (not RIMS).

But again, to me, it's the end result in the mix that matters. If it's easier to get that sound by using booms, indeed use booms.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
414s, C12As, or MD421s on booms. I made a few booms where I took out the arm from the clutch and I chopped it in with a saw, so it's only like 1' long or something. That helps for the rack toms and hat, where space is always limited.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➡️

well said sir
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
sm7s
Old 17th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
I've been using my $39 MCA SP-1's loaded with CK-12 capsules on toms, sound great, very low noise, full sound. No worries about a missed hit either. They cost me less than a Beta 58. Great mics don't have to be expensive.

Must use my $10 ******** booms with them.
which CK 12’s are you using?
📝 Reply