Quantcast
Stereo distortion/saturation unit? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stereo distortion/saturation unit?
Old 14th September 2012
Stereo distortion/saturation unit?

I've noticed that all the audio interfaces I've tried produce a nice and clean saturation/distortion effect when I drive the signal in too hot. This sounds especially tasty after processing drums with an analog compressor. My question is:

Which dedicated analog distortion/saturation stereo unit would give me the same sound? I assume the unit would only need to clip the incoming audio signal. I don't want to use my audio interface as a distortion box because I fear I'll damage it by driving the signal in too hot.
Old 15th September 2012
If someone has Thermionic Culture Vulture, I'd be interested in hearing what the unit sounds like if it shaves off 3-5 dB off the following drum loop:

Test drum loop wav file
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
im gonna give it a go, if you are asking yourself if you need one, everyone using synths need one !
Old 15th September 2012
I'm sure everyone needs a Culture Vulture, but I'm going to need it for a specific purpose, which is shaving off the drum transient peaks after the compressor I prefer saturation over traditional limiter when keeping the drum bus peaks in line.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
it s capable of lot of sound, transient shaping , i sampled a few example in triode, one in pentode but i m not sure it really shine for your application.
With gain staging and the bias the possiblity are big but i was not really sure about the sound you are after.
for buss it need pre and post equing it s too colored , pre/post eq make it shine with frequency depend saturation otherwise the low end and highs may saturate too much if you crush it (best is to mix into it when using on a bus)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5107801/Little%20CV.zip
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
depending how it s tweaked it can make the transients rounder and inject a little punch ! great for plugins.

i hope it was helpfull to you

cheers
Old 15th September 2012
Hmm, it's hard to judge from those examples if Culture Vulture would work for me or not. I'll try to provide examples of what the saturation sounds like when it's done by my audio interface.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yes i doubt it's the tool you need indeed, but more something that hard clip the signal
πŸ“ Reply