Quantcast
SSL Matrix: it still worth to purchase it?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Matrix: it still worth to purchase it??
Old 14th September 2012
SSL Matrix: is it still worth to purchase it??

as title says....

considering is a product of the year 2008....
something new will be presented in the near future??
Old 15th September 2012
Old 16th September 2012
so none of you has a Matrix and none of you has news on SSL products
Old 24th September 2012
Old 5th October 2012
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It was worth it for me! Integrates very well with pro tools 10 for DAW control and automation and the recall features and insert matrix are awesome - heck, the thing even sounds good!

There have been software and firmware updates to keep the digital side of things working nicely but remember that it is primarily an analog console with lots of headroom, flexible routing options, a great monitor section, and lots of insert points. Those things never become obsolete!
Old 5th October 2012
GSF
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Still love mine and have no plans to replace it.
Old 5th October 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread ➑️

remember that it is primarily an analog console
mmm, I can't understand in which part is analog!!! to me seems like a big remote control
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticazzi75 ➑️
mmm, I can't understand in which part is analog!!! to me seems like a big remote control
Think of it as an X-Desk with automation. Very much analog and awesome sounding. Big controllers are Icons.
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wish it had more than 16 channels.
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta ➑️
I think they want to keep a strong demand for the AWS. While there are obviously differences I think if they were to offer a 24 channel Matrix it would border $27-32k which one could also grab a used AWS for.
Old 6th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta ➑️
Aren't there banks though? I thought I remembered something like 40 inputs on mixdown? To me this seems like the perfect compromise between ITB and console; I'm hoping in a few years used prices come down some, for when I'm ready to get a board.
Old 6th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic ➑️
Aren't there banks though? I thought I remembered something like 40 inputs on mixdown? To me this seems like the perfect compromise between ITB and console; I'm hoping in a few years used prices come down some, for when I'm ready to get a board.
I believe you're right. I think it has dual inputs. So maybe 32 inputs.
Old 6th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
40 inputs...
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think if you have the money and don't need the preamps/channel strips it's a great product. The only downside that I could see would be that one of the strong points is the routing options, and eventually other companies will catch up with SSL as far as competing with ITB routing solutions in moderately priced console format. That could potentially drive the price down and offer similarly featured products for much less.

I've never heard the matrix, I just think function-wise it seems pretty perfect, or at least in the right direction.
Old 6th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I hope it's still worth it....
I just bought one from Jason Cropper at Vintage King
Actually, I've been researching them for a long time and read the manual front to back a few times, for my work it seems perfect and only time will tell.
I can't wait for it to arrive!
Then I'll need tips from owners who've had some time with them ........please
Old 6th October 2012
I know it has up to 40 channels in mixdown....more confortable 32....but in the end I see it as a summing box with insert (16) and automation
Old 20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Then dont buy one if its just a summing box with automation..

Quote:
I know it has up to 40 channels in mixdown....more confortable 32....but in the end I see it as a summing box with insert (16) and automation
Old 21st October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No digital audio passes though the console - its 100% analog. It also functions as a DAW controller. Unlike a summing mixer, it as busses, aux sends, inserts and automation and total recall (and a great master section and inset matirix).

It's pretty freakn' bad ass and an extremely powerful tool but if you can't figure out which parts are analog and it appears to summing mixer to you then it's prolly not the right tool for you.

If it has piqued or interet, however, why not own load the manual and find out exactly how it works?
Old 21st October 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread ➑️
No digital audio passes though the console - its 100% analog. It also functions as a DAW controller. Unlike a summing mixer, it as busses, aux sends, inserts and automation and total recall (and a great master section and inset matirix).

It's pretty freakn' bad ass and an extremely powerful tool but if you can't figure out which parts are analog and it appears to summing mixer to you then it's prolly not the right tool for you.

If it has piqued or interet, however, why not own load the manual and find out exactly how it works?
thanks!!!! now I understand. when I enter in the Matrix here all is real analog, no digital process.
Old 21st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Exactly, don't be distracted that it can also be see as a DAW controller - be ecstatic about that part, of course, but don't let that fool you into thinking that it's not a hundred percent analog console.

For me, it's about the smartest and slickest thing on the market right now. Some will wonder how it can possibly be called a console without mic pres and eqs but to me that's the beauty of it - we've all gotten so used to picking and choosing our mic pres and outbard that it's nice now to have to buy them with the console (and SSL was smart in realizing that others simply make better (or at least more desirable) mic pres than they do). I do like SSL eq's but the x-rack allows you to add them on in a very slick way if you choose and, of course , if you'd rather have a 500 rack full of Chandler, API or other eqs that's easily done as well. And, if your like me and don't need eq on every channel (or are happy with some of your plugins in this department) then your not paying for them.

SSL's are known for being great mixing desks because of all the features that their consoles provide. They are not as well known as the other two of the big 3 (Neve and API) for tracking (which, in my opinion, is due largely to Neve and API having better sounding preamps - again, just my opinion from working with all 3). So, by loading the front end of the Matrix with other mic pres, you basically get to track on a Neve and mix on an SSL all on one console.

Add to that great DAW control, a really smart automation system that uses midi tracks in your DaW for control (yeah, I wished the analog faders moved with the automation but I still have my fingers crossed for a firmware update) and an incredible insert matrix and you have a console that's a joy to work on and makes life a lot easier. It's not for everybody but if you, like me, are in their "target audience" for the console then you'll find that they did their homework and made a very elegant and intelligent console.
Old 22nd October 2012
there are diffrences between analog signal path in Matrix and analog signal path in X-rack modules????
Old 22nd October 2012
Gear Addict

This may seem like a trivial question, but has anyone who owns one found the "sunken in" design to be detracting to the physical process of mixing?
Old 22nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchfactor ➑️
This may seem like a trivial question, but has anyone who owns one found the "sunken in" design to be detracting to the physical process of mixing?
I dont, personally, and I love that I can put my keyboard on top and not inhibit the moving faders when they are reading DAW automation. For me, it was yet another "they really thought of everything!" moment when I installed it and started using it.
Old 22nd October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I think it sounds great and has Good Functionality. On the other hand, me personally, would rather buy Rack based Summing or something more modular so i can build as I go. the X-Rack Summing Modules are pretty impressive while sounding great and I'd personally prefer them over a Matrix. Although you do miss out on automation/DAW Control, but you still gain in tone. Matrix is a great choice nonetheless.
Old 4th November 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I can't believe there isn't something else that can do the things the matrix does by now. I know it's an impressive piece, but it has been 4 years.
Old 5th November 2012
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Believe it. Nothing else that does quite what the Matrix does at that price point on the market.
Old 5th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgeorge ➑️
Believe it. Nothing else that does quite what the Matrix does at that price point on the market.
It's very tempting and exactly what I need, but the price is hard for me to justify. I know there has been much debate about the price and I'm not trying to start another one! The Allen & Heath GSR24 may be what I'll go with. It's going to be hard to pull the trigger on this decision.
Old 5th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have used this thing extensively and it is worth every dollar, those who see it as expensive have obviously not spent enough time with it.
My friend owns this in his studio and I own an AWS and they sound exactly the same at in end of the day except the options differ.

This thing is crazy and nothing in the market comes even close to what this thing can do. Insert points will never become redundant ever.
If you have outboard gear that you want to incorporate easily into an all anlog mixer with automation, smooth analog motorized faders, easy routing options then I would say SSL Matrix has it covered well.

The software is so easy to use in terms of setting up insert chains with your outboard.
Anyway had I not owned the AWS this would be my first choice and if I ever sell the AWS I will be ordering one right away, nuff said.
πŸ“ Reply