Quantcast
SSL Matrix: it still worth to purchase it?? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Matrix: it still worth to purchase it??
Old 5th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread ➡️
Exactly, don't be distracted that it can also be see as a DAW controller - be ecstatic about that part, of course, but don't let that fool you into thinking that it's not a hundred percent analog console.

For me, it's about the smartest and slickest thing on the market right now. Some will wonder how it can possibly be called a console without mic pres and eqs but to me that's the beauty of it - we've all gotten so used to picking and choosing our mic pres and outbard that it's nice now to have to buy them with the console (and SSL was smart in realizing that others simply make better (or at least more desirable) mic pres than they do). I do like SSL eq's but the x-rack allows you to add them on in a very slick way if you choose and, of course , if you'd rather have a 500 rack full of Chandler, API or other eqs that's easily done as well. And, if your like me and don't need eq on every channel (or are happy with some of your plugins in this department) then your not paying for them.

SSL's are known for being great mixing desks because of all the features that their consoles provide. They are not as well known as the other two of the big 3 (Neve and API) for tracking (which, in my opinion, is due largely to Neve and API having better sounding preamps - again, just my opinion from working with all 3). So, by loading the front end of the Matrix with other mic pres, you basically get to track on a Neve and mix on an SSL all on one console.

Add to that great DAW control, a really smart automation system that uses midi tracks in your DaW for control (yeah, I wished the analog faders moved with the automation but I still have my fingers crossed for a firmware update) and an incredible insert matrix and you have a console that's a joy to work on and makes life a lot easier. It's not for everybody but if you, like me, are in their "target audience" for the console then you'll find that they did their homework and made a very elegant and intelligent console.
Perfectly said. Like I said my friend owns one and I use it more then he does lol.
Anyway this is exactly why he purchased it as he did not see a need for paying extra to have eq and compression on every channel. Like he said I own all of this in outboard already so why the hell double up?
Makes perfect sense to me.
Also the fact that he has no latency issues when using outboard compression and eq is also a big deal for him.
Question is if it has been 4 years and the market still has not caught up are you going to wait another 4 years to wait for something similar? Nope I would not wait......and so what if the market catches up with something similar it still is going to be different and not an SSL right?
Old 6th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I may end up pulling the trigger on the SSL. What do these usually go for used? Does anyone know? They're probably fairly hard to find used as well!
Old 6th November 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
It is absolutely worth it if the feature set is what you're looking for. The manual is available online- I read it dozens of times before pulling the trigger and received some wonderful hands on at AES a few years ago from Jim at SSL. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Just ask yourself if you want the workflow of a $70K board but want to bring your own variety of processing to the table. Now buy it and help us petition Avid to get Eucon on this thing.
Old 6th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gergface21 ➡️
I may end up pulling the trigger on the SSL. What do these usually go for used? Does anyone know? They're probably fairly hard to find used as well!
I am guessing around $22k USD maybe more maybe less.

Used not sure. I cant imagine to many on the market with about 600 units sold to date.
Old 7th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yeah considering how happy people are with these I figured there wouldn't be any used ones around
Old 7th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gergface21 ➡️
Yeah considering how happy people are with these I figured there wouldn't be any used ones around
You never know though but I doubt it.
Good luck if you decide on purchasing one.
Old 7th November 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
SSL - Matrix

Just seen this on the used list at Funky Junk...
Old 8th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin ➡️
SSL - Matrix

Just seen this on the used list at Funky Junk...
argh it's a shame I'm in the states
Old 6th October 2013
after one year, I'm thinking about it ;-) but this time I'm convinced it is the board i'm looking for....do you think SSL will renew it??? I've spoken with a local dealer which had told me that there will be a software update for matrix, do you know about something???
📝 Reply