Quantcast
I've totally reworked my mixing setup this week. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I've totally reworked my mixing setup this week.
Old 14th September 2012

🎧 15 years
I've totally reworked my mixing setup this week.

Spent the past two days changing my mix flow and gear inserts on the desk. It has been a summer of learning so many new things. It started with helping the guys do the final editing of the Joe Baressi mixing video, it gave me an opportunity to watch endless hours of footage of Joe's setup and mixing technique and philosophy. That was a glimpse into some serious greatness and it really got the wheels turning. Then I went out and sat in while Ryan Williams mixed a record, that was really great. I've learned a lot over the past 2 years from Ryan but this time was better for me because now I know the desk so I was able to just absorb everything and not keep thinking 'oh what did he just do', cuz I didn't know the SSL cold. It was also great to see the band show up and listen to the mixes and love them and watch Ryan interact professionally with a band. Really cool. Then the whole thing was topped off with 7 days with the Jedi master Michael Brauer, just amazing. Michael is brilliant and learning from him and watching him mix was incredible. Some of what I changed in my setup is the common knowledge 'multi buss' aspect of MB but that only scratches the surface of what I learned from him. Anyway I documented the journey from hooking up a boom box to sub harmonics to multi buss etc....

Old 14th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
That was awesome Mr. Lugo! Thanks so much for doing these videos!
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Always love the videos. Thanks for posting, keep 'em coming!
Old 14th September 2012

🎧 15 years
Thanks guys. So I've mixed my first song with the setup, man it was hard. Getting all the gain staging right has been a lot of work and trouble shooting. Also getting the fx to get hit the same way I use to hit them took some messing with. I think I'm there now, mix sounds good and I can hear the potential with the vocals to get some massive sounds.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
James-awesome video and quite a nice tune! Question: are you using the punch 10 as an insert on the kick OR snare (or bass), or are you using the punch 10 on a send for kick AND snare AND bass, etc. how does the kosmos v2 sound compared to the furman?
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Big difference on the video between your old mix and the new one with MB multibuss.

Any chance you could post a mp3 of the old and new mix in order to get a better idea ?

Thanks for the videos
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looking forward to watching those once girlfriend is asleep!
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by once a roadie ➑️
James-awesome video and quite a nice tune! Question: are you using the punch 10 as an insert on the kick OR snare (or bass), or are you using the punch 10 on a send for kick AND snare AND bass, etc. how does the kosmos v2 sound compared to the furman?
The Furman P10 is and insert and is much quicker and tighter then the Kosmos. The Kosmos is bigger and fuller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krid ➑️
Big difference on the video between your old mix and the new one with MB multibuss.

Any chance you could post a mp3 of the old and new mix in order to get a better idea ?

Thanks for the videos
I will when I get done mixing the record i'm on.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks James! I really enjoyed watching those and appreciate your thoughtfulness in making a video and posting-sharing what you learned from MB with all here! Bravo! Nice studio! Nice tune! Nice tracks! You are on the money!
Michael
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker ➑️
Thanks James! I really enjoyed watching those and appreciate your thoughtfulness in making a video and posting-sharing what you learned from MB with all here! Bravo! Nice studio! Nice tune! Nice tracks! You are on the money!
Michael
Thanks man. I've mixed 3 songs and getting the feel better. The client just emailed me and said the mixes sound great, so that was encouraging. More then anything I find it easier to get the kick, bass and vocal where I want them and actually way too loud very quick...lol Which is nice I feel a sense of power and ease in those areas that I didn't feel before. The key is to find the balance, I think my first mix or 2 were a bit kick heavy, mostly cuz I think I was just having so much fun with all the added power and depth. The other thing is the vocal is so massive and solid it can't sit to high or it dominates to much. I've been referencing some of the more recent Brauer mixes that have the big vocal in a dense mix and really starting to get a feel and understanding of where it needs to be and where it needs not to be. The other thing I've been referencing is the CLA mix Ameryllus (Shinedown) and the Ryan Williams mix This Is War (30 Sec To Mars) and feeling how those vocals are parked in the mix like they were cemented in there. So on each of the 3 vocal compressor returns I just tapped it with the SSL channel comp and just cut a touch of lows, it really got the vocals so stationary without sounding compressed to death at all. Then I have been doing very minimal vocal rides in protools and the vocal just sits perfectly, it's crazy I've never been able to get a vocal to sound or feel like this before, very exciting!!! Slammed and stable yet still vibrant.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You have to be VERY careful here James. You SO desperately want this to work and be better, but you have to make sure you can attribute the differences to what you think is causing them.

Some of the things I hear you saying are different (very little of which is coming through the video I'm afraid) could be aided by that 300hz cut on the Hammer. Stuff like that. Not trying to rain on your parade, but just throwing it out there.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew ➑️
You have to be VERY careful here James. You SO desperately want this to work and be better, but you have to make sure you can attribute the differences to what you think is causing them.

Some of the things I hear you saying are different (very little of which is coming through the video I'm afraid) could be aided by that 300hz cut on the Hammer. Stuff like that. Not trying to rain on your parade, but just throwing it out there.
That's cool, no I originally set it up with the same eq curves on the master. I realized my board leans about .6db to the right, so I put my BAE 1073MPF at the end of the Programme insert, set the gain at 0 and 300 ohms, set the output to about 9pm on the left and then adjust the right with a signal generator to balance. Seems to add a nice grunt to the mix, a little more everything, almost like a slight color. Seems to make the vocals more forward and the lyrics more predominant. I tried the Line input but it sucked. Man this mixing is rabbit hole.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks so much for paying it forward with all of your insight and knowledge!
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Looking forward to checking this out on a break!
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So James, I probably missed you saying so in the videos, but it looks like you aren't using any compression on the main programme bus just EQ? Correct? You have instruments going to Bus B with the API 2500 and Vocals with subharmonic stuff on Bus A with it's own compression. But those busses are summed to the Main bus without more compression right?

It's a great idea and I'm wondering if I could do the same thing with the 2 Cue/Mix busses on an SSL X-desk that I'm contemplating purchasing.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs ➑️
So James, I probably missed you saying so in the videos, but it looks like you aren't using any compression on the main programme bus just EQ? Correct? You have instruments going to Bus B with the API 2500 and Vocals with subharmonic stuff on Bus A with it's own compression. But those busses are summed to the Main bus without more compression right?

It's a great idea and I'm wondering if I could do the same thing with the 2 Cue/Mix busses on an SSL X-desk that I'm contemplating purchasing.
I'm tapping the SSL inline buss compressor on the desk about 2db. That's on the whole mix.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
How do you find those Sansamp distortion units?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCount ➑️
How do you find those Sansamp distortion units?
Really nice, the sweapable mids are great.
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hey james,

In your video you put music and effects to go through buss B and vocals and sub-harmonics through A. I wanted to know if your even sending the vocal fx returns to B, or are you passing them through A with the vocals?
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leco21 ➑️
Hey james,

In your video you put music and effects to go through buss B and vocals and sub-harmonics through A. I wanted to know if your even sending the vocal fx returns to B, or are you passing them through A with the vocals?
I tried the vocal fx's in A and it just didn't gel to me, it was best with everything other then vocals and sub harmonics going through B.
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the response James. Also let me say it is awesome watching your videos and the fact that you document and share what you learn is f***ing awesome. I just did a R&B/Hip-Hop mix with the multi-buss idea and holy crap!!!! Music pumping and vocals just sitting in front with their own life. Can't wait to try it on a Rock mix!!
Old 21st September 2012

🎧 15 years
Yeah it is really cool and fast. Mixes come together so naturally.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo ➑️
The other thing I've been referencing is the CLA mix Ameryllus (Shinedown)
i think CLA did naaat mix that album (?)
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLois ➑️
i think CLA did naaat mix that album (?)
I think he did:
Shinedown - Amaryllis

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/chris...e-mn0000775446
Old 7th November 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Awesome Videos again James - Thanks so much for this. Loving the A/B buss mixing, it sounds crazy good even through the camera microphone!
Old 7th November 2012 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFiAudio ➑️
Awesome Videos again James - Thanks so much for this. Loving the A/B buss mixing, it sounds crazy good even through the camera microphone!
Thanks man. Its a work in progress, each mix gets better. The Bruaer mix into compression concept has taken me a while to get the feel for but it's definitely working, here's a few setup and conceptual changes this this thread started:

πŸ“ Reply