Quantcast
How has technology influenced production? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How has technology influenced production?
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
How has technology influenced production?

Hi all!

I would like everyone who is interested in this to mention a period in our recording history (lets say from the 50's until now), which sounded like it does because of technology. I am aware of the big reverbs in the 80's, the digital revolution, the loudness war, but I am sure that many of you experienced guys know of a lot of small things that changed the production aesthetics though time.

Thanks and I hope there will be some insightful contributions
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Pre multi track recording all the musicians had to play well enough together to make it sound like a record.

No punch in, no over dubs. The role of the producer was less important musically and more of the sound came from the musicians and the arranger. The producer managed the session details, like getting 46 union musicians paid before they left the studio.

So picking up Frank Sinatra and the entire orchestra "off the floor" live and making it sound like it does, was a completely different production skill. Most producers today do not know how to do that.

So that's a change.

BF
📝 Reply