Quantcast
Multitrack Recorders with more than 8 simultaneous inputs? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Multitrack Recorders with more than 8 simultaneous inputs?
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Multitrack Recorders with more than 8 simultaneous inputs?

Hey guys. With my current situation, I do ALL of my drum/reamping recordings at different locations, and my rig is a saffire Pro 40 + 56 into my laptop. As you can imagine, carrying all of that plus mic stands, a heavy bag full of cables and microphones, it can get annoying travelling. I'm looking for some sort of portable standalone multitrack recorder with more than 8 inputs to make the load a lot easier, and then I'd just dump it all into my main computer at home.

Requirements:

More than 8 inputs (12+ would be even better)
each input needs a preamp
24bit recording

I'm looking at chaining two R24's together, they're pretty portable looking and efficient. This would set me back around 1k. Any other ideas?
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Aurora 16 with 500 series rack and pres of your choice in a nice little rack? Still use the laptop
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Haha, I think you missed the point! I want to leave the laptop and the rack at home.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ah, sorry. Standalone multitrack recorder with pres? I believe there's a plethora of those
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
With 8+ tracks? I haven't seen any. I'm thinking there are some in the used market but I'd need the names of some good ones.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
You got me. Sorry, it's late.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

The new Sound Devices 664 recording mixer with a CL6 Expander (available in October) records (12) independent tracks (built-in mic preamps) and actually records (4) more "mix" tracks for a total of (16) output tracks if you want them.

Not inexpensive, but it is very small, very light and very high quality gear.

There is a SD664 thread going already.

It's also possible to easily link multiple SD 744T and SD 788T recorders for (32) synchronized tracks or more if you can afford it.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Alesis HD24XR $1200 used, plenty of thread here about them, use the search function.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfahb44 ➡️
Hey guys. With my current situation, I do ALL of my drum/reamping recordings at different locations, and my rig is a saffire Pro 40 + 56 into my laptop. As you can imagine, carrying all of that plus mic stands, a heavy bag full of cables and microphones, it can get annoying travelling. I'm looking for some sort of portable standalone multitrack recorder with more than 8 inputs to make the load a lot easier, and then I'd just dump it all into my main computer at home.

Requirements:

More than 8 inputs (12+ would be even better)
each input needs a preamp
24bit recording

I'm looking at chaining two R24's together, they're pretty portable looking and efficient. This would set me back around 1k. Any other ideas?
I’d suggest a used Roland VS 1880/1824…you can record up 10 10 tracks simultaneously if you use the digital ins (8 analogue and SPDIF inputs). Then go to vsplanet.com and download one of two conversion options (there’s a Wave converter and/or Ripper, which will allow you to directly rip the files and open them in the DAW of your choosing)….works like a charm. ….the VS 1880/1824 can be had for cheap these days…..best thing going IMO.

Chris
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Im in the same bag right now.. sort of. I have just bought the zed r16 firewiremixer. And im looking for some kind of digital harddisk recorder that can record 16 tracks over the firewire connection from my mixer. I was hoping this could be an alternative instead of buying a laptop. Any suggestions?
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Used:
Akai DPS24. They don't make 'em like these anymore. It's the only multitrack recorder I can think of with 12 preamps
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
what about an RME UFX?
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Korg D3200 would seem to fit the bill. I've had one for years. It is rock solid and has a host of tricks up it's faders for tracking and mixing.

They are discontinued, but it is easy to pick one up in good condition for around $600.

Korg D3200
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC ➡️
Korg D3200 would seem to fit the bill. I've had one for years. It is rock solid and has a host of tricks up it's faders for tracking and mixing.

They are discontinued, but it is easy to pick one up in good condition for around $600.

Korg D3200
EDIT: Yes, that has it. (I thought it was 8 inputs, but only 8 are on XLR, 4 more on TRS jack)
The Korg D32XD does have 16 inputs, and for the D16XD it's an option too (expansion board with 8 extra inputs).
Then there's a bunch of the 19" 24 track recorders, Mackie, Alesis, Fostex and Tascam all have them. And Fostex came out a few years ago with a 16 track with integrated mixer as well (or 16 track live mixer with integrated recorder), the LR-16:

Another option would be a Yamaha AW4416 or AW2400, but both would need their expansion boards; otherwise they'd be 8 inputs only.
📝 Reply