Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro cable fault... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro cable fault...
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro cable fault...

Hi all,

I had a look around but still not sure if this is the best section for this thread - please feel free to move if it's in the wrong section!

I have a question. The cable/jack on my DT770 Pro (250 Ohm) headphones have been on and off for the past year or so. I've had the headphones for about 4 years. All was fine but eventually, the signal was lost, and all I had to do was wiggle the jack/cable very subtly and I was back in business. Over the past two weeks, it's gotten to the point where, if I'm lucky, sound is only coming out of the right speaker, and it's very hard to "adjust" the cable to get the signal to come through properly. I imagined it to be a soldering issue... but I've just been recommended to send off the headphones to be repaired (to get the cable replaced altogether) and have been quoted about $120 here in Australia. That's not including what it'll cost me to ship it interstate...

Just wanted some advice... and second opinion.... does this seem right? Has it happened to anyone else? Or am I being ripped off? I asked about a simple re-soldering of the jack connection but was told the warranty might be completely void if that happens. I honestly don't know how long the warranty lasts on this model (I've moved and don't have the box/warranty with me) and wondered if there was another, cheaper way about it, or whether getting the entire cable replaced as I've been advised is the best option.

Just curious. Thanks in advance!
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I don't know what the going price for a DT770 Pro in Australia is, but here in Europe you can get a brand new DT770 Pro for just a bit more than 120 Australian Dollars.
I would say it's an overly expensive repair.

By the way, I've also been a DT770 Pro user for about 5 years, and I'm not familiar with your problem.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks for replying. Yeah I also thought it was expensive, but then everything imported in Australia is really expensive....

It's strange because I've heard from a few people that it's a somewhat common issue with the headphones, but haven't found too much online about it.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you are entirely sure the intermittent is at the phone plug end of the cable, just cut the plug off and install another TRS plug. If you can solder and have the equipment, the repair will cost you $5 USD. If the warranty is void or not, it's not worth $120 to repair the problem. The warranty was probably for just a year anyway.

Dennis
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have three sets of Bayers including the DT770 pro. I have not had the problem you describe but the cable on all three are lame; they twist very easily.
If you are paying to get the cable replaced, you could consider seeking out someone who can put in a superior lead, or ask Bayer if they can do it Check out the geekslut forum.
I am going to change mine, when i get the confidence. I am okay with a soldering iron but headphones seem to be delicate, although they may not be.
Here a pair of DT880,s get the treatment. heh
beyerdynamic DT880 re-cable guide(in progress)
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks Dennis - Yeah I'm pretty sure it's at the plug end, because it's wriggling that end that causes the crackle/interruption/signal cancelation etc... I think I'll give that a go first

Macky - Your guide looks good, thanks! Although I think there's no issue with re-cabling it, but probably take a look at getting a new TRS put in. I think you're right about the cable twisting easily. It's probably why I'm getting annoying cancelations etc... something's not right in there!
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
While we a talking Beyer here. Are these both semi-open?
The DT880 pro and the DT 880 (Edition 2005)
Or, is the DT880 pro a closed back set ?
Link
FAQ for Headphones

Beyer site does,nt say.
In explaining the differences they draw a comparison to
The following headphones:
DT 990 PRO - DT 990
DT 770 PRO - DT 770
These also have a very similar difference, they say

Well the DT 770 PRO are closed back, the DT 990 PRO are semi-open so thats why i am asking.
Are the DT880 pro and the DT 880 (Edition 2005)...both semi-open ?

Cheers
Mackie

EDIT..Its okay i found it
Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO Headphone Review

Beyer have come up with a design which is more half and half, or semi-open, in order to create the best possible sound. Consequently, the DT880 PROs do offer a certain degree of isolation, but also sound remarkably clear.
Old 1st December 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagavi ➑️
Hi all,

I had a look around but still not sure if this is the best section for this thread - please feel free to move if it's in the wrong section!

I have a question. The cable/jack on my DT770 Pro (250 Ohm) headphones have been on and off for the past year or so. I've had the headphones for about 4 years. All was fine but eventually, the signal was lost, and all I had to do was wiggle the jack/cable very subtly and I was back in business. Over the past two weeks, it's gotten to the point where, if I'm lucky, sound is only coming out of the right speaker, and it's very hard to "adjust" the cable to get the signal to come through properly. I imagined it to be a soldering issue... but I've just been recommended to send off the headphones to be repaired (to get the cable replaced altogether) and have been quoted about $120 here in Australia. That's not including what it'll cost me to ship it interstate...

Just wanted some advice... and second opinion.... does this seem right? Has it happened to anyone else? Or am I being ripped off? I asked about a simple re-soldering of the jack connection but was told the warranty might be completely void if that happens. I honestly don't know how long the warranty lasts on this model (I've moved and don't have the box/warranty with me) and wondered if there was another, cheaper way about it, or whether getting the entire cable replaced as I've been advised is the best option.

Just curious. Thanks in advance!
Happened to me today. The 6.5mm jack that screws onto the 3.5mm got screwed on so damn tight I couldn't unscrew it. I ended up twisting the entire housing within the hard plastic end part around the jack area trying to unscrew it. And that must have stuffed up the connections inside.

I've clipped the whole jack off now and have a gold wire, green wire and red wire.

Anyone know what colours Beyerdynamic associate for Tip, Ring, Sleeve?

I'm going to put a new jack on.

Cheers
πŸ“ Reply