Quantcast
quality and consistency - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
quality and consistency
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
quality and consistency

How do you maintain mix consistency and quality across a project? I'm currently working on an EP for a folky female singer duo, four tracks. Lots of harmony and countermelody work in the vocals. I'm totally in love with two of the mixes. The other two... not so much. The performances are fine, as is the basic tracking. It's the mixing that isn't good enough.

Song 1: vocals, main acoustic guitar, lead acoustic guitar, bass, hand drum, tambourine. Sounds jumbled and rough right now.

Song 2: A fast, angry rock song with drums, bass, acoustic guitar, sparse electric rhythm, and a fuzzy/feedback guitar counter-line to the vocals. Having trouble balancing the acoustic guitar and drums in a way that translates, while leaving space for an up-front vocal and maintaining dynamics.

Song 3: Just an intricate, dynamic acoustic guitar and two vocals. Sounds huge and rich and wonderful.

Song 4: Vocals, acoustic guitar, cymbal, tambourine, EBow'd guitar, bass synth. An "underwater" feel to match the lyrics and mood with tons of reverb. Everything is gelled beautifully and the sound matches the song so well - one of my best mixes ever, I think.

So what's killing me is that songs 1 and 2 sound so crappy compared to 3 and 4. Again, it's not the songs or the performances or the tracking. It's just that I can't get the mixes to snap into focus like the other two. It probably wouldn't bug me so much if the contrast wasn't so stark.

So does this happen to you? How do you cope with it?

(We're under schedule pressure - I'm coming back to these mixes on saturday, and they'll be finished come hell or high water)
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…