Tame Impala home studio gear ID - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tame Impala home studio gear ID
Old 28th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3k ➑️
Lonerism was mixed by Dave Fridmann I believe.
OK that explains a lot ... I never understood Dave Friedmann use of distortion, and boy do i like overdriving circuits. But It's like he just keeps on saturating in the wrong places. And do it again to be sure .
not for me
Old 28th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I guess I'm noticing a trend in that through the discusion of gear, a band can find a new way to market themselves. I have heard of this band and even seen some old footage from a NYC show a few years back. Trippy synth does come to mind. Also heard them on the local college station, not my thing musicly speaking but they do sound like their gear selections. The quasi DYI ethic goes a long way on the forum circuit these days and I guess opens them up to a bunch of new potentail listeners. The various Tame Impala threads have become quite common here recently. Just an observation on a new potential trend.
Old 26th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Ok, new picture, anyone identify this ,except the re201 and..mac.. ?
Listen to Tame Impala's Cover of Michael Jackson's "Stranger in Moscow" | News | Pitchfork
Old 27th April 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Who can tell about some of the new gear?
Attached Thumbnails
Tame Impala home studio gear ID-images.jpeg   Tame Impala home studio gear ID-4736240436_da00bd8d30_b.jpg   Tame Impala home studio gear ID-iuv5png.jpg  
Old 28th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I saw some Facebook video my niece showed me where Kevin showed fans how they made that vintage sound, in their house. They had a 1640 mackie, but said overdriving tascam converters were what made the drums sound 60's. There was Some gear lying around, stereo speakers for monitors.. Very basic stuff...
I was like "huh?" Are you kidding me???!!!!
Then I saw the mixing is done by Dave fridmann/tarbox studio..check that gear list, then things makes sense...

Id love to see Dave Fridmann spill the beans about how their records sound so killer. Maybe he bypasses all his own gear and just mixes all ITB?
Old 28th April 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The last picture i posted is the only new one. I know the moog, possibly the juno106, the lynx aurora interface, dbx 165a, manley compressor, but not the patch stuff?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneb ➑️
The last picture i posted is the only new one. I know the moog, possibly the juno106, the lynx aurora interface, dbx 165a, manley compressor, but not the patch stuff?
the lynx aurora is sandwiched between a neve 1073 dpa and the motu ultralite, under the patch bay is a focusrite saffire pro 40
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21doors ➑️
I saw some Facebook video my niece showed me where Kevin showed fans how they made that vintage sound, in their house. They had a 1640 mackie, but said overdriving tascam converters were what made the drums sound 60's. There was Some gear lying around, stereo speakers for monitors.. Very basic stuff...
Then I saw the mixing is done by Dave fridmann/tarbox studio..check that gear list, then things makes sense...
Kevin recorded and mixed the Melody's Echo Chamber album and it still very much has "that sound".
Old 29th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Kevin's secret guitar sound is his old crappy digital Boss portastudio. He plugs DI into it. And even uses them live. Actually love the sound of it. It's bad digital distortion.

Too bad some of you don't like the records. I guess it's for taste. Try listening to the early Verve stuff or My Bloody Valentine. The 60's influence is what it is. But a lot of that cool early 90's British shoegaze is very lo fi. And kind of the purpose. To have too much verb or distortion. I guess it doesn't meet everyones Steely Dan "perfect sound" palette.

He uses one maybe two mics on the drums for his whole sound. It's 98% the player and the drums. And I'm sure Dave adds his flare to things and drops samples under the kit to fatten it up in choruses.
Old 29th April 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I actually believe the boss br600 digital recorder is only used on the specific impala lead guitar sound. Live, I'm almost sure this is the only thing the recorder is being used for, nothing else.
Old 29th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneb ➑️
I actually believe the boss br600 digital recorder is only used on the specific impala lead guitar sound. Live, I'm almost sure this is the only thing the recorder is being used for, nothing else.
Yes thats what i just said.
Old 21st May 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21doors ➑️

Id love to see Dave Fridmann spill the beans about how their records sound so killer. Maybe he bypasses all his own gear and just mixes all ITB?
could you post this video please?
Old 22nd May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Folcrom on the top of the stack in that newest photo has to be a recent acquisition (we changed the logo from white to brown last fall). It is presumably receiving audio from the Aurora and then feeding the pair of Neve preamps underneath it. Not a bad setup. It deserves a rack to put it in, don't you think?
Old 6th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
tracking to his tascam 122 cassette recorder?

is he using the cassette recorder for tracking? For lonerism I know he said he didn't bother recording it with tape, because, "It would take 5 times longer", but in the new picture for the release of the stranger in moscow cover... you see him sporting a tape recorder, with only one channel on the tape machine being used... meaning whatever he's got going through there is a mono signal... (bass, guitar, drum buss, vocals, synths...) The dbx 165 he uses on drums for sure as he stated before... but he also sends his synths through it for limiting distortion... I'm just wondering what his process might be now, with the tape recorder.. does he track to tape after his preamps and fx.. then goes to computer via audio interface, or does he just use it as a track insert? I'm asking because I have the same tape recorder, and I'm wondering If I should track every instrument to tape, then send the whole tape to cubase, and mix inside the box ie. Guitar through all pedals, to KTG-1 Guitar preamp, to dbx 166xl (for light comp b4 tape), to tape (TDK SAX-90), then to DAW... Or should would it be smarter to use the tascam as an insert... I realise the signal would go through another conversion, but I have a good audio interface so I'm not too worried about audio degradation.. I mean I recording to cassette tape so.. lol.. I'm not looking for the cleanest audio... But I hear people saying it sounds much better to hit the tape first, as apposed to recording into DAW then sending to tape, then back to DAW.

Your thoughts on what you think his path is.. in terms of use of his tape recorder usage, or your take on what you think would get the best benefit of tape saturation, or any other methods I may be missing. Thanks sluts!

Old 14th September 2014
Deleted User
What monitors are these?

Old 14th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
tame impala is great, but melody's echo chamber is even better. I've been dying to know how he got the drum sound on this song...

Old 17th September 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Its actually really simple, ableton live has bitchrusher
πŸ“ Reply