Quantcast
Daft punk, how they sampled back in the day? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Daft punk, how they sampled back in the day?
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Daft punk, how they sampled back in the day?

Back in the day did they have sampling machines? how did they do it back in the day and what do people do now to sample and remix?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"Back in the day"?!

"Back in the day"?!?!?!?!?!

Wasn't their first album released in the late 1990s?

We were using samplers back in the 1980s you know! heh

Thanks for making an old man feel very much older...
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
First album, 1997.

I think someone's having fun.

15 years, though... isn't that the opening for them of the revival window that stretches on into a likely future of lip-synched oldies shows...
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️
First album, 1997.

I think someone's having fun.
Tis some quality trollity :banghead:
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ha awesome...
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@bill your link wasn't working for me:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampl...ent)#section_1
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahKim ➑️
Back in the day did they have sampling machines? how did they do it back in the day and what do people do now to sample and remix?
they had actually developed iron and bronze by that time, so they could carve the audio as grooves into a plate of stone using an iron chisel

then they would take a small bird and place its beak in the stone groove and the vibrations would come back as sound

Old 13th September 2012
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I was serious :(
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
From a Mix magazine article - "...they are using many different samplers... including a Roland S-760, an Ensoniq ASR X, a Roland MPC and an E-mu SP-1200 drum machine."

I have a Roland S-760 lying around here somewhere - I can sell it to you for 5000$ and you will become big like Daft punk... just kidding...

Sampling today - a friend of mine just bought this cool machine:

Octatrack | Elektron

Octatrack meets Classic Breakbeats - YouTube

I think you could have much fun sampling and "remixing" live on this...

It's becoming too easy nowadays... you could be Daft punk, Skrillex, whatnot in five minutes with this thing...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener ➑️
It's becoming too easy nowadays... you could be Daft punk, Skrillex, whatnot in five minutes with this thing...
And all the while it seems as if NO ONE has any desire whatsoever to be THEMSELVES and try **** out until they form THEIR sound and grow into their own shoes.......
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
im actually a complete newcomer in electronic music im just trying to learn how daft punk got there sound so I can go in that direction but I am actually a vocalist
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
im actually a complete newcomer in electronic music im just trying to learn how daft punk got there sound so I can go in that direction but I am actually a vocalist
Well good luck and remember that much of their newer stuff will be done inside a DAW
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
And all the while it seems as if NO ONE has any desire whatsoever to be THEMSELVES and try **** out until they form THEIR sound and grow into their own shoes.......
Oh but there are... the ones who are eventually successful in this game...

And every now and then something slightly new emerges... even in this game of sampling based music...

The beginners should not be afraid to ask "stupid" questions... and there are NO stupid questions... If you don't ask - you won't know.

To the OP - you should really look at that Oktatrack thing - it will give you a creative approach and much fun to discover your own "voice" in sampling. Much better than clicking a mouse - stand behind the thing - sample yourself playing or singing - sample vinyl - CDs, whatnot - tweak, dance behind the thing - enjoy life!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Groovey.

The simple answer is Daft Punk aren't old enough to have pre-dated samplers and DAWs. So yes - not much in the way of Cubase and Logic as an audio editor (although they were doing it) but lots of MPC2000s, S1000s, Emu systems and ProTools.

You have to back to the 70s to get away from sampling. Learning about older sampling techniques will certainly help you in understanding what is going on inside your copy of Logic (or whatever you end up using).... good for you for asking.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
i just dont understand how like madeon remixed 40 different pop songs together on his launchpad which i think is pretty much an mpc with ableton. So for me to understand im trying to get to the roots and see how the first person did it and daft punk came to mind because there pretty old to me and yet they have a great sound.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You need to go back a little further. Before digital recording there were artists using tape to cut up audio and produce new works - search for 'Musique concrète'.

Then take a listen to such as The Art of Noise, Jean Michelle Jarre's Zoolook, Peter Gabriel's fourth album, and Kate Bush's 'Hounds of Love'. All early examples of the ground-breaking Fairlight sampler, released around 1979.

A few Internet searches and use of the forum search engine will get you on your way.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
i just dont understand how like madeon remixed 40 different pop songs together on his launchpad which i think is pretty much an mpc with ableton. So for me to understand im trying to get to the roots and see how the first person did it and daft punk came to mind because there pretty old to me and yet they have a great sound.
The roots of sampling are already in musique concrete - when people starting recording whatever - either music or objects and field recordings and cutting and recombining pieces of tape. Look up Pierre Schaeffer or Pierre Henry... the first sampling guys?

The concept is the same - you record a bit (sample), then you splice it - cut it - loop it (and more: break it, fix it, trash it, change it, melt - upgrade it, charge it, pawn it, zoom it, press it, snap it, work it, quick - erase it, write it, get it, paste it, save it, load it, check it, quick - rewrite it, plug it, play it )

Back in the days before Daft Punk who are pretty recent to us a bit older guys,hehehe... they had things like Synclavier, Fairlight and E-mu samplers that costed a fortune and only the biggest games could afford.

If I'm not mistaken Akai and Ensoniq paved the road to wide-spread use of samplers among more underground acts with their a bit cheaper offerings. Others followed and eventually also E-mu offered cheaper samplers. Roland had some accessible ones, too. Like W-30 workstation that I had once in my life and that also Prodigy use(d).

Today you can do it all in the DAW, but it's boring and not so intuitive as when you have samples at your finger tips and you press keys, pads and tweak and turn sliders and buttons like you can with some contemporary "performance" samplers.

edit: oh, the elf beat me to it...
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
dont get too caught up in how DP used to make their music - its different to how people do it now and youd be better off going to Sonic Academy and watching some of their videos to understand the basics of making music in a computer...
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I already use fl studio and watched many tutorials but it is very hard for me to understand the context because the songs they make on the tutorials arent really what I am going for and there style of making music really hinders my creativity :(. It seems like madeon had alot of fun making his remix while I cant seem to mix and match samples together. But I can already compose music im just trying to get samples into my compositions or just like daft punk get ideas of from other songs by sampling them but its so hard!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
but its so hard!
If it were easy it wouldn't be worth doing!

I sense you are trying to run before you have learned to walk.

Whatever DAW you have, sit down with it, fire up the manual and learn the skills you need - it will all be in there if you have the patience and aptitude.

If FL isn't doing it for you then try Reaper - it has everything you need to cut/paste and play back samples. I'm not saying it's any better or worse than FL (I've never used FL), but I do know it has all the tools you need.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
nuoooooh! more pain! :(
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Since you are a vocalist, I would recommend sticking with singing and finding a producer to work with. The reason is that making music will distract from what your true ability is, and in the end you'll only be a halfway competent vocalist and halfway competent producer. It takes many, many years to learn all sorts of little details that go into making music. If you want to learn about this then you simply need to be a little more patient. Expect that you won't have anything approaching a full grasp for another 5 years. All the info you want is out there on the internet, and a lot of it is on this site. There are 'newbie', 'electronic music' and 'rap/hip-hop' forums as well. Use the search function, look at posts from people who look like they know what they're talking about.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Totally reasonable question. Id like to know too!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Gearslutz App
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There is no "back in the day" with Daft Punk!

- c
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
SarahKim > you could probably approach the technical level of Madeon in less than a year, because he doesn't do much transformation to the samples he uses. But I'm not talking about his artistic level, because he is very good at choosing and matching samples from a variety of sources.

So, if you want to mix-match a lot of samples, you would have to do 2 things:

- time stretch, to make them go at the same speed
- pitch shifting, to make them sound good in harmony

To do that, it's easy in FLstudio, but you have to use your ears.

Once you have the basic arrangement, the rest is just production, and you have all your life to learn that (and it's not that important, anyway)

Good luck!

And remember: if it seems hard at first, keep trying, it will become second nature!
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpet ➑️
SarahKim > you could probably approach the technical level of Madeon in less than a year, because he doesn't do much transformation to the samples he uses. But I'm not talking about his artistic level, because he is very good at choosing and matching samples from a variety of sources.

So, if you want to mix-match a lot of samples, you would have to do 2 things:

- time stretch, to make them go at the same speed
- pitch shifting, to make them sound good in harmony

To do that, it's easy in FLstudio, but you have to use your ears.

Once you have the basic arrangement, the rest is just production, and you have all your life to learn that (and it's not that important, anyway)

Good luck!

And remember: if it seems hard at first, keep trying, it will become second nature!
thanks for the response, im having a problem with pitch shifting where in fl studio if I make the sound deeper the tempo will slow down and if the pitch is higher the tempo will go faster do you know what to do for that? there isnt a tutorial on youtube instead they have it for keeping the tempo the same but the ptich the same also.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Back in the day did they have sampling machines?
they bought them at the stores or borrowed them.

Quote:
they sampled great sounding records and looped and arranged and mixed the samples with great skill
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
people are making jokes because you are making them feel old

the 'back in the day' you are referring to is like 'yesterday' to some of us, and the technology you are referring to is not that different compared to what people had to do when this type of thing was first attempted
πŸ“ Reply