Mic., Pre-amp, Popfilter, Table Stand - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic., Pre-amp, Popfilter, Table Stand
Old 13th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Mic., Pre-amp, Popfilter, Table Stand

Hi everyone,

first post on your forums. I hope I found my way through all the (sub)categories relatively ok.

I own a poorly setup set of gear and recently discovered I completely missed 4 out of 5 fundamental aspects of home studio recording ;-) (don't ask me which these are, I forgot again). Lovely.

Whilst I'm discussing matter with Auralex (yes, I failed that one too), I would like some advise on aquiring a Mic. and peripheral gear. I guess its safe to say Stevie Wonder has better sight, than I have tech. experience;

I am looking for a condensor Mic., used for production of vocal sounds/fx/alternative percussion, a little actual singing and potentially some guitar/keys. Budget is not endless, so this is what I was considering, purely judging reviews;

- M-Audio Nova (Mic., allegedly does it all and quite well)
- Samson ps01 (popfilter, cheap, univeral mount)
- Behringer MIC 200 Pre-amp (cheap, versatile)

Now, I'd like to hear your opinion on this solution, as well as any advise on alternatives and cabling. I own an RME PCI card, with breakout cable, 2 Genelec's 8030 and a M-Audio SBX10 Sub (is this going to work in the first place?). I will need to connect pre-amp w/ soundcard breakout. Furthermore, what type of table top stand would you recommend? I don't care much (yet) about shock absorption, as recording doesn't need to be super tight. Budget = better with this one and I have come across a couple of 3/8" screwthread stand solutions, but have no clue if this'll work with the Nova?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!
Ray
📝 Reply