Quantcast
To BLA mod the Digi 003R? Or outboard converters/pres? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
To BLA mod the Digi 003R? Or outboard converters/pres?
Old 13th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
To BLA mod the Digi 003R? Or outboard converters/pres?

I'm in a rough spot.

Should I get the BLA Mod? Or buy lasting gear that will survive an upgrade to my next system? The in the box converter and pre upgrades to the 003+ no doubt sound amazing, but when I'm looking to expand I/O in the inevitable future should would my money be better spent on external converters and preamps and hooking them up via lightpipe for the time being?

I understand I may be outgrowing the 003 eventually, and when that time comes I just want to make sure all of my eggs aren't in one basket.

What do you think?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
This version of Pro Tools (10) is the last one that will support the 003 so, since you have an eye on upgrading, your money may be better spent elsewhere. The BLA mod does sound great - I had it on my 003 - but I've since sold it and bought a LYNX Aurora.
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack ➡️
This version of Pro Tools (10) is the last one that will support the 003 so, since you have an eye on upgrading, your money may be better spent elsewhere. The BLA mod does sound great - I had it on my 003 - but I've since sold it and bought a LYNX Aurora.
Thanks for this info, I was not aware about PT10 being the last to support eh 003.

I have been looking at the Universal Audio 4-710d for some time. I think it might be best to use the preamp via ADAT with the 003, and then upgrade to an Apollo when the next version of Pro Tools rolls around and sell the 003. Again, thanks a bunch.
📝 Reply