Mountain Lion and PT 9 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mountain Lion and PT 9
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Mountain Lion and PT 9

I have been waiting to see how things will play out, and have decided to buy Mountain Lion.

I just have some questions:

Is ML compatible with Pro Tools 9/are there any major bugs?

Do I have to do a clean install, like I did with Lion, or will just an upgrade work?

Thanks
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Go to Avid user forum DUC and look it up. I am sure the answer is there.
Old 30th December 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've been searching around, and it seems like Pro Tools 9.0.6 works with Mountain Lion for some people, but not for others. Officially though, according to Avid, it's not really supposed to be compatible. So far, it's not working for me. I keep getting the error:

Could not create a new document because You do not have appropriate access privileges (-5000) while creating "IO Settings".

It seems that for some people it just magically works without issues. I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out if there is a way to make it work or not--it'd be awesome if I could, so I wouldn't have to drop the $300 to upgrade. For me, it is possible that the issue could have to do with that I'm using a completely new laptop (as opposed to just updating the OS on the same laptop)... Apple transferred everything from my old laptop (which is kinda dying) with Snow Leopard, to my new laptop, which has Mountain Lion.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or tips or links or anything on how I might be able to fix this, I'd really appreciate it!
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I probably should have updated this a while back, but it works flawlessly for me. I've been using it, no issues.
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
There is precious little on the DUC. Their advice is to upgrade to PT10 which is little solace for people who have spent good money on PT9 and just want it to work.

If you have the download version you are in good shape as you can get 9.06 from their website. However if you bought the discs, they won't install at all on to ML system so you cannot go on to install the update either. At least this is the position I have found myself in and DUC's answer was that it is unsupported so I am waiting and waiting for some kind of patch.

As a registered owner of PT9 disc version, why they won't let me access the same resources as download customers is beyond me. But if you are upgrading from SL to ML I think the best solution is NOT to uninstall PT9, then you might have a chance of it working. I was trying to do things properly, as recommended by Avid, by uninstalling. Big mistake!

Happily I prefer Cubase anyway, I only bought PT in order to have compatibility with other studios. But still very annoying.
Old 30th December 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebemonster ➑️
I've been searching around, and it seems like Pro Tools 9.0.6 works with Mountain Lion for some people, but not for others. Officially though, according to Avid, it's not really supposed to be compatible. So far, it's not working for me. I keep getting the error:

Could not create a new document because You do not have appropriate access privileges (-5000) while creating "IO Settings".

It seems that for some people it just magically works without issues. I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out if there is a way to make it work or not--it'd be awesome if I could, so I wouldn't have to drop the $300 to upgrade. For me, it is possible that the issue could have to do with that I'm using a completely new laptop (as opposed to just updating the OS on the same laptop)... Apple transferred everything from my old laptop (which is kinda dying) with Snow Leopard, to my new laptop, which has Mountain Lion.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or tips or links or anything on how I might be able to fix this, I'd really appreciate it!
Just wanted to pass along for anyone who comes across this post and had the same problem--a friend of mine showed me a simple way to fix it!! Just hold "n" on startup, and this will open the playback engine settings prior to trying to make a session. Select the proper one, and the access privileges for IO thing shouldn't be a problem any more.
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Also, it never hurts to ask, so try asking Avid for a download link for it. That's what I did when I lost my PT 8 disc.
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear
I own PT9 and plan on upgrading to a new mac mini with ML. After reading on Duc, it seems if you get 10.8.0 then you can install PT9 and upgrade to 9.0.6. and pro tools 9 will work. If you get 10.8.3? its seems PT9 will not update and install. Not sure about other versions of ML. like 10.8.1.

I bought PT9 w/ disc and I can download 9.0.2 and 9.0.5 full installers in my account. J.S. Vega III you should check your account out I bet you have the same downloads as me. Its in your products section>PT9.Downloads.
Old 30th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribedescribe ➑️
I own PT9 and plan on upgrading to a new mac mini with ML. After reading on Duc, it seems if you get 10.8.0 then you can install PT9 and upgrade to 9.0.6. and pro tools 9 will work. If you get 10.8.3? its seems PT9 will not update and install. Not sure about other versions of ML. like 10.8.1.

I bought PT9 w/ disc and I can download 9.0.2 and 9.0.5 full installers in my account. J.S. Vega III you should check your account out I bet you have the same downloads as me. Its in your products section>PT9.Downloads.
Thanks for the info, there is nothing showing in my account - I'll give them a call about it in the new year.
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have been wondering this as well since I recently picked up a new Macbook Pro Retina with preloaded 10.8. I own a boxed version of PT9 and had to call Avid customer service to get a download link since my new MBP has no disc drive. All in all they were quite helpful over the phone and provided me with an installer link. FYI, even with a registered copy of PT9, if you have a disc version the downloads will not appear in your Avid account. This I was told by Avid.

That said I was not aware that PT9 was not supported for use with 10.8 when I called them and left the conversation disappointed.

I was told however by someone at a pro audio shop that the only issue with PT9 and Mountain Lion is the new Gatekeeper function in Apple's 10.8. By default it is set to only allow Apple supported software to be installed. You can override this (do a Google search) and by doing so apparently allows you to install PT9. The same person told me that there should be no difference in functionality using PT9 with either 10.7 or 10.8, it is the same. A simple patch that "approves" PT9 is all that's required but I doubt Avid will fix this since they've already moved on to PT10.

I have not tried this workaround (yet) but it does sound to me that it is an Avid play to force users to unnecessarily upgrade to PT10.
πŸ“ Reply