Quantcast
Your Favorite Hi-Hat Mic? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your Favorite Hi-Hat Mic?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Your Favorite Hi-Hat Mic?

Hey guys. I'm looking into getting a great hi hat mic soon and I was wondering what mics you like and why. Right now, I'm considering the AKG C451B or the Neumann KM184. What other options would you recommend? I'm using these for studio work. My main hi hats are the Sabian Paragon 13" Hats in natural finish. Thanks a lot.

-Owen
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I never mic' 'em, but if I did, it'd be with a 57.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
None. The overheads were always enough, even though I miced the high hat, but that channel/track was never used EVER. The hats comming in the overheads always sounded best to me.
Old 13th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Sm7 all the way.
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted ➑️
None. The overheads were always enough, even though I miced the high hat, but that channel/track was never used EVER. The hats comming in the overheads always sounded best to me.

I understand and that's what I'm currently doing. If I'm working on a track where the drums are in the forefront, it works perfectly. The only thing is that when I start adding other instruments, the hats start to get lost. I'm not sure if that's the lack of a mic, or if that's the EQ of everything else overtaking the hi hat frequencies (or as Chris Lord-Alge would say, it's "parking space").
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I only use the HH mic for the definition/sizzle when there is something I want to hear (important/complex HH part) and to cheat a little bit more stereo placement... I use an old 451 as it's bright but not harsh, and the OH/SPOTS pick up enough of the body/crash of the hats.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AKG 451 EB with CK1 capsule. sometime 57 .............
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sm7
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The overheads
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
AKG C460/CK61 for balanced sounding hats or for harsher hats an Audio-Technica AT4060 (handles transients from aggressive hats beautifully, yielding a more natural presentation).

If bleed is a problem, then AKG C414 in figure 8 with null pointed at nearby cymbals.

For placement I try to 'hide' the mic from the snare by placing it in such a way that the hi-hat cymbals block all direct sound coming from the snare.

Joel
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
SM7 gives me always great results
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
If you have to

I don't often find a need for it anymore, but when I need that extra bit of support on the hats I use either a SM7, or a Neumann KM184
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

I don't always use a high hat mic, but when i do, I throw a Ldc or ribbon down there to get snare bottom and hh
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wow, hi hats get their own mic...?
drummers...what will they think of next ?...
i know a guy who just puts the mics on his sticks...that way you only need two...
Old 13th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Royer 121
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Beyer M500 or 160
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Groove Tubes GT-40 (with hypercardoid capsule)
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand rec ➑️
Royer 121
+1
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
IF, i put on a Beyer M260 ribbon, which has good side rejection and a built-in lowcut. Angle to taste for more or less mids and there you go. AND the m260 is dirt cheap. The old AKG 451 overloads on loud snare hits... because i don't got the pad for it... but in my world i don't like the extended highend and up-there-resonances of condensers very much on anything sheet metal.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sennheiser MD441 or the Sm7...
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You can use anything small and robust. You'll have to EQ it heavily and tuck it in at a low volume, since, as most people say, 90% of the sound should come from the overheads.

I've used dynamics (M201, SM57) and small condenser mics of all kinds, they all do the trick.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
No mic. I am usually trying to get rid of Hi Hat. The less mics I use the happier I get.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
+ + BeyerDynamic M160, Royers, shure ksm and akg stuff are nice too, but for more dynamic stuff. SM7 does the job well. If the drummer hits the hat evenly hard. I did a band last night, where the drummer hit the hat pretty hard, and I was suprised by the dynamic mic. First time I tried it on hihat. It worked out great although it was a small room. He only used two larger symals, so I didn't go for a typical overhead method, just spot-miced everything, and then I needed thet hihat mic. I often find the overheads to cover the hihat needs in a mix too, but its nice to have one there.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Neumann KM184

(to answer your question, for me it's 184 it's better, AKG sound a little bit "harsh")
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
AKG 451, 460 or a Shure SM81.

Dennis
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The better drumer, instrument and room the less microphones you need...
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
SM 137 Also I like to use this mic beetween toms when recording Blues/Jazz/Bossa Nova stuff, gives a super natural rich tone.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

I'm sorry....someone had to do it.

Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to mic the HH. Just overheads? So unfocused. Seems almost lazy to me
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I always want the option to add a tiny bit of close hat mic to the mix to help place the hat in the stereo field and give a nice 'tick' to the mix. My favourites are the KM184, AKG C451, MXL 603 and Rode NT55. In the context of finding the 'tick' the MXL 603 is startlingly good in this company, but it needs a pad. I occasionally use a VTL CR3 and that is also very good - but a waste of a good mic if it's needed elsewhere!

I don't subscribe to the approach of 'don't under-mic the snare', 'don't mic the hat' , 'don't mic outside the kick', 'don't use a sub-kick'. All of these signals are *options* for the mix and not to allow yourself these options seems odd to me.
πŸ“ Reply