Your Favorite Hi-Hat Mic?
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchfactor ➡️
I'm sorry....someone had to do it.

Ahhh, love it!

Have your baby yet? We need to set up round 2 of those vids.

JROD
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal ➡️
because of that 10% that saves the day, makes you the hero, rest of the time its stays muted.
Yep!
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchfactor ➡️
Yep, Stewart Copeland vs. Lars Ulrich. Different Styles, different mic setups
Great point. You'd be missing out if you didn't mic Copeland's hi hat.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Whatever is already on room/overheads.

The odd time I do put a mic specifically on hats it's usually an EV RE-10.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted ➡️
Have you tried compressing the overheads to make the hats come up more?
Yes I have. I find that when I compress the OH's, I get too much of that New York style 70's hip hop drum sound. Yes, that's good for some things, but the album I'm producing now is modern funk/jazz and I need a super sensitive sound that's not too big. Also my studio doesn't have the best acoustics and I find that compressing the OH's puts a little too much emphasis on the room sound.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I usually avoid micing the Hihat since the overheads usually grab enough for a good balance in my opinion. However, I had a session recently where the hats needed a little more of the focus than normal. I grabbed a km86 and threw it on the hats in figure 8 to null out the neighboring crash cymbal. I've never been so pleased with a HiHat sound. I'm not saying that I'll always mic the hihat from here on out, but when I do I'll reach for one of my km86's.

Obviously the player and his/her cymbal choice has a lot to do with what mic will work well and sound right in the mix. I absolutely love the way Lanois mics Brian Blade's hihat with an RCA 77. The way that guy plays the hat is pure magic.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear
It depends on the drummer and if/when he/she can bring attention to the hi hat (rare but some drummers can do this). For example, intricate playing that *needs* more attention, especially if it's played relatively softer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
You need a better drummer.
+100
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Can't beat my old 451's for hat. KM84 close second, but a very different, edgier flavor.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
Can't beat my old 451's for hat. KM84 close second, but a very different, edgier flavor.
I'm happy with either. One studio I use has KM84s, one has 451s. Both work great for hats/ride.

JROD
Old 21st September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colour Field ➡️
Make sure you use a heavy duty pop filter, plosives from that region can be nasty.
And:

Heavily compressor the sound captured by the stool (mic) and increase the gain on the recorded squeaks and farts to an insane level.

It is important to use a mic preamp that has very high gain so as to capture the silent farts. A compressor/limiter is required to tame the violent ones to prevent clipping.

The mic should be placed off axis to the source (sound hole) for hygiene reasons.
Old 21st September 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➡️
The overheads
Since the ancient thread has been bumped, I figured I tell the world I've changed my ways. I would usually only mic the hats if the drummer played them lightly. Often I'd still hate the sound, until one day I tried a dynamic mic instead of a condenser. Condensers always sound like an icepick to my eardrums.

I've settled on Beyer M201. In the days of not needing to worry about tape real estate, I just put a 201 up as matter of course. What I've really grown to like is how it helps define the stereo field. I record it at a really low level, but it just add some nice definition.
📝 Reply