Quantcast
Your Favorite Hi-Hat Mic? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your Favorite Hi-Hat Mic?
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Guru
AKG 460B with the transformer removed. Sounds very natural, if you like that sort of thing.
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
even as a drummer i don't see the point in micing the hats 90% of the time. for those that don't understand that logic, what's the point of wasting time with something i know i'm not going to use? it's not lazy, but everyone has their own tastes and ways of doing things. do you bottom mic the toms and spot mic every cymbal too? just in case you need that one splash cymbal too be a little louder at mix time.

anyway when i rarely do i like an m160, 441, km84, 57. pretty much in that order.
Gear Guru
You put a mic on it and everything else to CYA. Not all drummers play the same. I see if you have a modern rock cymbal basher you may not need that mic, but a finesse player will need it.

You don't have to use it if you don't want to, but if you need it and it's not there, you'll have some 'splainin' to do.

If I could, I'd put a mic where the drummers ass is, who knows, he just might fart in time? I'd call that mic CHA, (cover his ass).
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
I see if you have a modern rock cymbal basher you may not need that mic, but a finesse player will need it.

Yep, Stewart Copeland vs. Lars Ulrich. Different Styles, different mic setups
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You don't have to use it if you don't want to, but if you need it and it's not there, you'll have some 'splainin' to do.

If I could, I'd put a mic where the drummers ass is, who knows, he just might fart in time? I'd call that mic CHA, (cover his ass).
i am totally micing the drum "stool" from now on.
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedesound ➑️
Make sure you use a heavy duty pop filter, plosives from that region can be nasty.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
do you bottom mic the toms and spot mic every cymbal too? just in case you need that one splash cymbal too be a little louder at mix time.
Eff yes I'd mic the splash!! Duh!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensDrumming ➑️
I understand and that's what I'm currently doing. If I'm working on a track where the drums are in the forefront, it works perfectly. The only thing is that when I start adding other instruments, the hats start to get lost. I'm not sure if that's the lack of a mic, or if that's the EQ of everything else overtaking the hi hat frequencies (or as Chris Lord-Alge would say, it's "parking space").
Have you tried compressing the overheads to make the hats come up more?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I mic it with a 57 and then mute it. If the hi hat is obnoxiously loud in the OH's despite your best attempts to curtail the drummers stinking, red faced, hi hat hatred (Hi Hatred, I like to call it) then you can use it as the sidechain to a compressor so a pair of metal discs dont fly out a pair of speakers some day and cleave the listeners skull in two.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
1st Choice: AKG 224E

2nd: AKG 451

3 Anything
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Overhead mics. A couple of times I used the KM184 and SM81.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
KM84
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
An AT3031 can work well on hats. Sadly, it's been discontinued.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
even as a drummer i don't see the point in micing the hats 90% of the time. for those that don't understand that logic, what's the point of wasting time with something i know i'm not going to use? .

because of that 10% that saves the day, makes you the hero, rest of the time its stays muted.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use an AT3031 for my HiHat mic. I also have it low in the mix with a slight but of eq depending on which set of hats I'm using.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
KM85!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use an AKG-451
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hm, gotta say I'm quite surprised at people's response regarding hat micing. Guess to each their own.

JROD
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi-hat mic, what is that?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase ➑️
Hi-hat mic, what is that?

You got a lot to learn ............
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Best hh mic? The snare mic of course. I kid, I kid. :-)

I was on a session at blackbird studio A in Nashville and the engineer had a u47 on the hh! Talk about overkill.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers ➑️
wow, hi hats get their own mic...?
drummers...what will they think of next ?...
i know a guy who just puts the mics on his sticks...that way you only need two...
Thread winner!
Quote:
Ask Chris Mara about the A$$ mic sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily ➑️
Best hh mic? The snare mic of course. I kid, I kid. :-)

I was on a session at blackbird studio A in Nashville and the engineer had a u47 on the hh! Talk about overkill.
That's kind of like the Jeff Porcaro video where his toms are miced with Elam251s...all 5 of them I think.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Usually an AKG c451eb.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone ➑️
You got a lot to learn ............
Can I find one in the classifeds? Gotta try one!

Ok, well if I have to use one, I get good results with miniatyre mics I got, they are intended for micing ppl in tv studio, but works great duck taped under the hihat!
Old 14th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
KM184 it you can afford or spare it but as recomended by loads of people here you can't go to wrong with an Sm7. My old fav which you won't allways find in studios is the Sennheiser 441.. works like a charm!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase ➑️
Can I find one in the classifeds? Gotta try one!

Ok, well if I have to use one, I get good results with miniatyre mics I got, they are intended for micing ppl in tv studio, but works great duck taped under the hihat!

You mean lavalier mic............
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NandoOg7 ➑️
I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to mic the HH. Just overheads? So unfocused. Seems almost lazy to me
Ah, cmon. Most of the time the hihat is too loud in EVERY microphone.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meistersounds CH ➑️
Ah, cmon. Most of the time the hihat is too loud in EVERY microphone.
Loud? Yes. Focused? No. I intentionally position my OHs closer to the cymbals and away from the HH. The snr mic 180 from HH. Always manually gate toms and I try not to over compress rooms. I mostly record rock so I guess that makes me biased to mic'ing HH and being somewhat "liberal" with the quantity of mic's used on a kit. Bottom snr, kick in and out, HH, ride, splash? Guilty!
Old 14th September 2012
Deleted 04d60e1
Usually an I5, 57, or some pencil condenser mic I have from CAD, dont remember the exact model. Even for metal mixes, ill have the fader super low, panned hard left, its just enough to give a little more definition to the hats. Ive been using ORTF for overheads a lot, so not the super wide overheads you usually hear with metal and the mic'd hihat is good to let the hats be just a little separate thing sitting there on the left or right side.

Just mixed my own cd not too long ago actually, and our drummer does a lot of quick fills on the hats and ride, so its nice to automate the mic'd hihat up to really bring out the articulation. And there were two sections where he was already doing a longer build up type of fill, and would do these little "chick" sounds but just using his foot. With everything going on it wasnt loud enough in the OHs, so it was nice to be able to bring those little "chicks" up.

Even though the fader is almost off 90%, micing the hihat is very important for me and something I wont not do.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I always use a Neumann KM184, works fine for me. However, I only do live audio and live audio recording (no studio work).
πŸ“ Reply