Quantcast
Eminence Front - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eminence Front
Old 13th September 2012
Eminence Front

Clients late (as always ) was listening to this on my newly modded master section.

Front to back depth on this mix is AMAZING.

Anybody know if this was the Neve they had built for their studio?

Any info? What is that verb on the snare BTW? a mix of EMT and some digital verb? AMS? Lot's of pre-delay for sure.

Thanks if you have some info,
john

For those youngin's this is it, as usual, sounds WAY better from CD or vinyl. This is not even the album mix, the vocal is panned all right with no reverb. Don't know where these crap mixes come from, but it will give you an idea at least:
The Who - Eminence Front HQ (Best Quality on youtube) - YouTube

And the original MTV vid, with arguably worse sound quality courtesy of youtube. Some studio footage, but not sure if it really has anything to do with the production of that actual song:
The Who - Eminence front - YouTube
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I actually just discovered this song myself a couple weeks ago when I bought a The Who's Greatest Hits CD (I was trying to find Magic Bus and The Seeker, I found Magic Bus on it lol) and this was on it. not this mix, but a great song still.
Old 13th September 2012
I know, I have no idea what this mix is, but it's not the same as what was released on "It's Hard" at all. Working right now, but thanks for the response. I do like the song a lot, it's simple but very cool.

j
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
cool tune. When I saw Pete in concet, he told someone in the crowd to "shut the **** up" while he was talking in between songs.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I always thought that song sounded cool, but wasn't really a song. It goes nowhere for what feels like hours.

Now that I think about it, it must be where Coldplay got the idea...
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➑️
I always thought that song sounded cool, but wasn't really a song. It goes nowhere for what feels like hours.

Hah!

Great summation of this song--it does tread water in a sonic sense. A terrific intro that never really builds to anything interesting.

It's certainly not a track they could have cut with Moon--can you imagine him playing the same pocket groove for 6 minutes straight?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That musical stasis is symbolic of the song's poignant lyrical message about the superficial facade which masks the spiritual emptiness and plastic hedonism of the wealthy.
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

What's wrong with Coldplay?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yea id be interested to hear the production of this song. Great song...
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This song brings back fond memories of summer on the beach. It sounded like quite a different direction from Pete and The Who at the time, perhaps more like his solo efforts. But, I'm a sucker for a cool, in-the-pocket guitar riff... miss those more and more these days. Interested too...
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by godotzilla ➑️
Hah!

Great summation of this song--it does tread water in a sonic sense. A terrific intro that never really builds to anything interesting.

It's certainly not a track they could have cut with Moon--can you imagine him playing the same pocket groove for 6 minutes straight?
Moon's head would have exploded!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets ➑️
What's wrong with Coldplay?
Lack of song structure. One riff for 5 minutes ?a song.
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Moon's head would have exploded!

Lack of song structure. One riff for 5 minutes ?a song.
Every band has a little bit of that, but I don't see most of Coldplay's material lacking structure and their recordings seem like pretty solid work. The last 2 records were mastered a little crappy but I'm not sure that was their fault or the fault of their mix engineer.

But maybe I'm missing something. You're certainly a lot more experienced than I am.

Moon's head might have exploded, I guess we'll never know. I sure would like it if he were still alive though.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Every band has a little bit of that, but I don't see most of Coldplay's material lacking structure and their recordings seem like pretty solid work. The last 2 records were mastered a little crappy but I'm not sure that was their fault or the fault of their mix engineer.

But maybe I'm missing something. You're certainly a lot more experienced than I am.

Moon's head might have exploded, I guess we'll never know. I sure would like it if he were still alive though.
I just plain don't get the Coldplay phenomenon. They just annoy the piss out of me. You know what they say opinions... please take my comments with a grain of salt.

I also miss Mooney!
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yeah, it's pretty weird by Who standards... but I've always liked it. I think it works in part because it's pretty dang loose. The vocals are rough and step all over each other, but somehow that makes it better. If you were to do now with 50 layers of vocals and everything snapped to grid, it would suck.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm not sure what year they made the switch, but before the Neve (which eventually ended up at Bearsville), Ramport had a Helios

I'm also not sure that It's Hard was made at Ramport... I do know it was recorded by Glyn Johns
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I always loved this song, such an underrated album because of the different drum style. What the heck happened with the first chorus vocal line, " onanaminantz front, eminence front - it's a put on." Some kind of weird edit or comp on the lead vox?
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➑️
That musical stasis is symbolic of the song's poignant lyrical message about the superficial facade which masks the spiritual emptiness and plastic hedonism of the wealthy.
Oh, I always thought they were talking about an m&m's front.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➑️
That might work if this was a creative writing class.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Was supposedly recorded at Glyn's own place.

The "new" mixes you hear of the Who catalog were done in 1997 by Jon Astley.

The "old" album mixes are now out-of-print.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm ➑️
cool tune. When I saw Pete in concet, he told someone in the crowd to "shut the **** up" while he was talking in between songs.
lol do you remember when that was? was it a younger pete or the older pete?
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I sure would like it if he were still alive though.
Oh no doubt about that. Same with John Entwistle, John Bonham, Hendrix, etc. etc. I do find it somewhat ironic though that both Moon and Bonham had somewhat similar personalities and reputations and ended up dying around the same time for similar reasons.

Still great drummers despite their personal problems.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic ➑️
I always loved this song, such an underrated album because of the different drum style. What the heck happened with the first chorus vocal line, " onanaminantz front, eminence front - it's a put on." Some kind of weird edit or comp on the lead vox?
really??
I think, far and away, the "worst" Who album.
No one's heart seems in it.
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I love to drum to this song. The repetition leaves space for everyone else in the band to play a bit.
As for Coldplay, Eno produced (or helped) their last two albums. However, for me, this is indeed one of those "their older stuff is better" things. For me, Parachutes is their best album. I can only take the new stuff in measured doses.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBeez ➑️
I love to drum to this song. The repetition leaves space for everyone else in the band to play a bit.
As for Coldplay, Eno produced (or helped) their last two albums. However, for me, this is indeed one of those "their older stuff is better" things. For me, Parachutes is their best album. I can only take the new stuff in measured doses.
Nice recordings on Parachutes, Rush of Blood is a fantastic example of a great production IMO.

Eminence Front as a song seemed to reflect "the feeling of the times" almost perfectly (if you were out and about and on the scene at that time - clubbing and active in public partying). It was an excellent artistic expression IMO.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman ➑️
really??
I think, far and away, the "worst" Who album.
No one's heart seems in it.
Album? Yes. This song? No.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am always amazed at those that say that Townshend is a terrible guitarist....

What an incredible hook and riff-meister on the guitar, and extension of his mastery as a song writer.....
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephi82 ➑️
I am always amazed at those that say that Townshend is a terrible guitarist....

What an incredible hook and riff-meister on the guitar, and extension of his mastery as a song writer.....
A great number of people have said the same thing about David Gilmour - go figure. It makes no sense.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm having trouser problems after listening to the bass.
πŸ“ Reply