Quantcast
Eminence Front - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eminence Front
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The reason why Townshend never acquired the flashy solo 'guitar god' status is because he foolishly played with .13s instead of .08s like the rest of the guys.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hypnotic synth / organ again .who's Next really was the pinnacle :+)
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephi82 ➡️
I am always amazed at those that say that Townshend is a terrible guitarist....

What an incredible hook and riff-meister on the guitar, and extension of his mastery as a song writer.....
Pete Townshend is a songwriter who plays guitar. That, of course does not mean he's a bad guitarist in any way. I just think his focus has always been on writing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brill bedroom ➡️
I'm having trouser problems after listening to the bass.
rofl
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Nic...e_gdata_player
Pete sounds like a god whilst putting his guitar back on !!! Heh heh bless him:-)
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman ➡️
really??
I think, far and away, the "worst" Who album.
No one's heart seems in it.
Well, I guess I could agree with this.

However, when you compare even this album to a lot of what is going on today...it kinda looks ok doesn't it?

Which is sad.

I think "It's Hard" does have some shining points...no they are nothing like Quadraphenia and the like, but there is some good stuff lyrically happening, and in some spots it seems pretty meticulously put together. This may have been some of the issue?

Not that other previous albums weren't meticulously put together, but it sounds maybe like too much time and deliberation was taken on some of "It's Hard" and some of the energy went out of the process.

Or myabe you are right. Maybe people just going through the motions. This certainly happens. Life also creeps in to the production process, whether you like it or not.

That's why I think this one song is good. It has feel. Clearly brought up to a point, and left the f*ck alone. Not polished until it vaporized.

FWIW Going Mobile, Getting in Tune, Real Me etc., are still probably my all time favorites. Oh, and My Wife! Love that effing song man.

I guess that's mostly "Who's Next".

Ah well.

john
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
MAYBE a large part of the "life" was gone when moonie went to the big gig in the sky!? Also imagine trying to Eightiesasise?.... Keith ! ! Whereas Kenny Jones was a seasoned boring yes man session player by then ( loved him in the small faces but in the who NO)
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Honestly the isolated guitar sounds like a novice player when he steps outside the main theme and attempts to ad lib.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
wow.....that’s really what you got from his guitar part?

wow....
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUK ➡️
MAYBE a large part of the "life" was gone when moonie went to the big gig in the sky!? Also imagine trying to Eightiesasise?.... Keith ! ! Whereas Kenny Jones was a seasoned boring yes man session player by then ( loved him in the small faces but in the who NO)
I love everything about this post.
Well, although WAY different and difficult to draw a real analogy, things happened a lot like that in many bands,

It's kind of similar to Bill Bruford in Yes, when compared to Alan White I guess.

Still, I like Alan White a lot. Massively different playing styles and feel, but I still like them both. Bruford was an acrobat, whilst White was kinda no nonsense, direct and to the point. Every now and then he'll astound you though with some amazing part that lets you know he is not a simple session hack, but a bad ass laying back, and holding it down though.

I agree Keith Moon was an absolute bad ass too though. There will never be another. I liked those kinds of drummers in the early acid rock days. I see similarities with Mitch Mitchell and Moon a bit too. Maybe some influence of the previous generation going on there, Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich and what not.

Still my all time fav (even after going through my Fusion, Prog, Jazz etc. listening phases) was John Bonham.

I loved his style because it was not overly busy, it was never boring, was tasteful and busy enough, and had a sh*t ton of power when the song required it. Just the right balance, and the knack for playing the right thing at the right time.

To my ears anyway.

So, to err.. get back on topic, does anybody have anymore info about the recording of eminence front? Helios or Neve?

What is the consensus on the snare reverb? AMS delay? EMT with delay line? Tape deck with speed / pitch for predelay? Early Lexicon or a Eventide?

For me, everything is cool in the song / mix, but what I was really getting at was the amount of "depth" of that verb. It seems like it goes on for half a mile INTO the phantom center image. Like there is a gigantic cavern or cathedral sitting right behind the monitors. Lots of attempts at this on lots of records, but this one has something different going on...at least for me.

It doesn't sound as much that way on the youtube mixes as it does on the album mix though.

Also, thanks BTW for posting the multitracks. Damn does that snare sound filthy compared to the snare in the mix though.

We have to be either hearing some nasty youtube artifacts, or some sort of work safety that has a ton of passes and serious loss or something.

Anyways, thanks for posting the link. You can really hear what's going on effect wise. Very cool of you to take the time to link that stuff.

Thanks for all that responded.

Peace,
john
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm not sure the gear, but it's a;

1 : a position of prominence or superiority
2 : one that is eminent, prominent, or lofty: as a : an anatomical protuberance (as on a bone) b : a person of high rank or attainments —often used as a title for a cardinal c : a natural elevation

Front... it's a put on... then the rest

probably not 2a, b or c, because they come and join their party dressed to kill.

It was likely an eminently worthy analog front and back end.

Curious too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT ➡️
What is the consensus on the snare reverb? AMS delay? EMT with delay line?
Listening to the Vinyl version, that snare verb sure reminds me alot of my 224.
I like to do that "rhythmic pre-delay" sometimes to get a little shuffle going.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Talking of snare reverb pre delays. here's Kenney again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12rgP...e_gdata_player

@48 seconds
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by godotzilla ➡️
That might work if this was a creative writing class.
???... pretty shallow comment.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➡️
The reason why Townshend never acquired the flashy solo 'guitar god' status is because he foolishly played with .13s instead of .08s like the rest of the guys.
Why do you think it's foolish? He was a better writer than those guys and the thick strings are what gave him his sound... it allows for hitting the strings hard and visceral, emotional expression. Music is not an athletic contest.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➡️
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellotronic ➡️
Why do you think it's foolish? He was a better writer than those guys and the thick strings are what gave him his sound... it allows for hitting the strings hard and visceral, emotional expression. Music is not an athletic contest.

Yep part of his sound and likely necessary for his patented windmill slamming, ringing through eternity, rock'n'roll chording technique and delivery.

And look to SRV wrt bending heavy gauge strings to his will with soulful abandon...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellotronic ➡️
???... pretty shallow comment.
Not intended as an insult. I read your comment as humorous and responded in kind. Sorry if I offended you.

As far as "shallow?" I do love puddles.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by godotzilla ➡️
Not intended as an insult. I read your comment as humorous and responded in kind. Sorry if I offended you.

As far as "shallow?" I do love puddles.
It wasn't my comment. I was commenting on yours. Not offended, just surprised again (and again) that people involved in making music can be so vacant & clueless. Not everyone likeS art &/or poetry. We're all different... I hope. No offense intended on my part, I mean you admit you "like puddles". I argue with hair metal dudes & Katy Perry fans on here all the time, nothing personal.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT ➡️
Well, I guess I could agree with this.

However, when you compare even this album to a lot of what is going on today...it kinda looks ok doesn't it?

Which is sad.

I think "It's Hard" does have some shining points...no they are nothing like Quadraphenia and the like, but there is some good stuff lyrically happening, and in some spots it seems pretty meticulously put together. This may have been some of the issue?

Not that other previous albums weren't meticulously put together, but it sounds maybe like too much time and deliberation was taken on some of "It's Hard" and some of the energy went out of the process.

Or myabe you are right. Maybe people just going through the motions. This certainly happens. Life also creeps in to the production process, whether you like it or not.

That's why I think this one song is good. It has feel. Clearly brought up to a point, and left the f*ck alone. Not polished until it vaporized.

FWIW Going Mobile, Getting in Tune, Real Me etc., are still probably my all time favorites. Oh, and My Wife! Love that effing song man.

I guess that's mostly "Who's Next".

Ah well.

john
You gotta remember a couple things re the band at that era. Pete did not have a lot of heart in continuing the band after Moonie passed. They were contractually obligated to put out It's hard and Face Dances. thus, they soldiered on like good English lads.

Also, some folk accused (I'll leave that kettle of fish alone) Pete of saving his best material for his solo albums.

Just my $.02 ....
📝 Reply