Quantcast
Gefell m900 ~ any opinions on this from users? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gefell m900 ~ any opinions on this from users?
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Gefell m900 ~ any opinions on this from users?

...been searching and reading about the various Gefell mics. I used to own a umt70s and really liked it, but had to sell it a few years back (bummer).

I have sold some gear and have some money for a new LDC and am intrigued by this mic, but there is very little info about it on the web that I have found. I would love to hear about this mic.

I am also considering just getting another umt71s (cardioid this time) OR an m930 (never tried that one).

I'll use it for vocals and an "all around mic". Really scaled back on gear. Less is more. This is for my personal setup. I will be using it through the Portico 5017. I also have an sm7, 635a, i5, Beyer tg i53c

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Gefell m900 ~ any opinions on this from users?-m900.jpg  
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
The M900 is a great handheld with a true LDC capsule.

It has just been reviewed for Sound On Sound magazine in the UK who liked it very much - the only complaint was that it came without a stand clip

Unfortunately the review has not been published in the magazine yet so I am not allowed to give any details from the review.

THIS is what Mercenary Audio say about it - and - THIS is what Ty Ford thinks about it.

I hope this helps.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I have just heard from Sound On Sound that they hope to publish the review of the M900 in the November issue which will be in the shops in October.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks, John!

I had seen the Mercenary thing, but not the Ty Ford one. Good review. Kind of a shame he could only use it on a Crate 4x12 cab though (for the amp test). A good read though...lots of info about the mic there. I appreciate the links!
Old 13th September 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Gefell M900 and M910 [its hyper cardioid brotha] follow along the lineage of the PM860 [also a fantastic microphone] but the PM860 uses a transformer output, and more enclosed head basket shape. To preface my experience with the M900, I have found the PM860, to have a great darker, "olden" tone/sound, with extremely well shaped side rejection. Kinda like a UM70, but more directional, tighter and punchier. Gefell has improved upon that design, quite a bit, with the M900 and M910 offerings, but since they understand the public at large loves their transformer output microphones, they still offer the PM860 in their catalog.

The M900 are high headroom designs, and like all transformer-less MG hardware, are very low in noise. I find them very quick/responsive, but balanced and not hyped in anyway. They are detailed/refined, clear, and elegant sounding. A Very clean microphone meant for staying true to the source, and the ambience around the source. I mainly take note of the off-axis character with these. Absolutely Starling. You think to yourself, that its making you a better engineer. To my ear, the M900 goes even further than the PM860, with ZERO color off the sides of the mic, and less harmonic color than the PM860 has.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks, Adam. I appreciate that info. If you don't mind, how would you compare the hugh-mids to the m930 or umt70s? How is it with the S's? And how does the proximity effect compare?
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk sanchez ➑️
Thanks, Adam. I appreciate that info. If you don't mind, how would you compare the hugh-mids to the m930 or umt70s? How is it with the S's? And how does the proximity effect compare?
Well, sadly, I've never directly compared them, to the M930 [another ball of wax!] and UMT70s. But from memory, I would say the M900 is along the same lines as the UMT70s, with a really even balance/clarity, but perhaps slightly softer and drier sounding than the M930 and slightly more detailed/defined then the UMT70s in that upper mid range. The UMT70s is more silky&forgiving in that range, to my ear.

So, I think its really in between those as far as tone/action. They are certainly not redundant! Not by any measure! The M930 is VERY unforgiving and captures every last detail and has a "richer" pickup without showing itself off to much. Its fast and clean overall, but more present and glossy.

The 930TS, with more of a FAT dense/character. Same mic, more love. This one should make my mic locker sometime in the next year, I loved it when I tried it out. Thought it sounded very cool for my taste. The UMT70s is a multi-pattern mic, so aside from its sound, it is kind of a different beast.

For whatever it may be worth, I did a quick comparison using x2 MT71, and the x2 M930 a while back, as spaced pair in stereo on Drum Overheads and Piano. I've have the files as .wav, if anyone is interested in hearing the difference between the M930 and MT71. Email me at adam AT dspdoctor DOT com, and I will send them your way. These were recorded through an API 3124+ four channel preamp.

peace
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Gefell are very good at supplying loan mics. if you want to try for yourself - certainly in the UK this is normally no problem.
Old 13th September 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
yup
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks again, Adam. I have heard those files you did already at Mercenary. Kind of regret selling my umt70s! I may snag another one of those...was considering the mc930 as well (to try something different), but I have kind of ruled that one out for vocals. Saw the m900 and was intrigued. Your comments have helped. Thanks again.
πŸ“ Reply