Quantcast
Looking for gear setup/mixing advice - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for gear setup/mixing advice
Old 12th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Looking for gear setup/mixing advice

I'm relatively (completely) new to mixing as well as using hardware EQ/COMP/VERB boxes. My setup is currently something like this:

Tascam 1800 dual out > BBE MaxCom Compressor > ULTRAGRAPH PRO FBQ1502 EQ
Tascam 1800 dual out > Lexicon MX300

I'm using Reaper as my I/O. Right now I use my PC and a laptop (hauling my rig around) as I'm trying to get my girlfrend and friends to try an make some tunes with me. So nothing TOO serious, but still trying to get the most out of this and have a lot of fun.

I'm currently in the process of reading the Reaper manual, and a few other manuals that touch base on processing and effects etc etc. But, I still run into a mental wall leaving me with some questions here. Sometimes I feel I might have gotten a little over zealous getting hardware COMP and EQ and VERB vs. Plugins. I was sad for a second, but then decided it's not a waste of time and money. As I'm learning more hands on, and running to things like improper gain staging (which I still don't understand 100% but have heard the terrible noises it can make) etc.

So I guess I'm fishing for advice on things like:

-- How to route the signal to get the most out of recording/mixing?

Right now, I've been recording a dry signal. Creating a send to either the COMP or EQ. I try to listen to the signal as it's passing through the hardware but results really vary. I'm not really sure this is the BEST way to do this, or if it's even defeating the purpose recording a dry signal then trying to proccess the signal. I can't always tell a huge difference while adjusting comp or and eq settings. It would defniintely help I think if I understood more on EQ'ing techniques, comp as well.

The entire routing process on the DAW seems simple, but yet still manages to confuse me a little. As you deal with the faders, pre/post fader, trying to SOLO so I can just hear the processed signal and whats happening to it.

Sometimes I feel like I'm going about this in a way, but the complete wrong way. Though the more I type and think the more I think I just need to keep messing with it and keep reading and trying to learn... but, I still like to rant and see if anyone can provide me with some input/feedback or suggestions. Thank you!
📝 Reply