Quantcast
Daft Punk,Madeon how its done?vocal canceling - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Daft Punk,Madeon how its done?vocal canceling
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Daft Punk,Madeon how its done?vocal canceling

Hi I love Daft punk but I am new to the world of sampling and such and was wondering how they took out the vocals of some samples. Also how do you do you match all the samples just like how madeon did pop culture. Did he also make a lead and such on a synth for that song?

thank you for your time!
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
no body wants to help :(? /sniffsniff
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
It's all about keys man! You don't want anything to clash so setup your samples/vst's etc and put them all in the same key.

When it comes to the whole madeon style it is actually really easy to do. If you have ableton you can do this:

1. go to the live session view and load up a tone of different bass sounds and synths etc
2. set them all up to play the same 2 bar loop(chords)
3. configure ableton to have a random follow action and just hit record.

Eventually you will get a decent set of sounds.

That's all that is needed to be a french producer :P
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
how bout with fl studio?
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
To remove a vocal from a sample (as Kanye did when he sampled Curtis Mayfield for "Touch the Sky"):

1) sample the left and right channels of the source material on separate tracks
2) have them both panned to the center
3) flip the phase on one of the two tracks

This will cancel out any frequencies that were panned hard down the middle (which usually includes the vocal, most of the bass, and whatever else is there).
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➑️
To remove a vocal from a sample (as Kanye did when he sampled Curtis Mayfield for "Touch the Sky"):

1) sample the left and right channels of the source material on separate tracks
2) have them both panned to the center
3) flip the phase on one of the two tracks

This will cancel out any frequencies that were panned hard down the middle (which usually includes the vocal, most of the bass, and whatever else is there).
how do you sample the left and right channels? im new
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahKim ➑️
how do you sample the left and right channels? im new
I don't use fruity loops so can't say exactly how you should do it. But when you import a stereo sample, you need to select an option to split it across two tracks rather than have the whole stereo track go to one track.

This might help to answer your question:

Stereo seperate into 2 mono in FL studio???? - Warbeats - Forums - Production - Sampling
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I have a HUGE question I wanted to sample a part of song but i want the sample to go up and down the scale but when go up and down the keys the tempo gets longer if i go deeper and faster if i go higher i want the tempo the same but the pitch different how do i do that? i just dont know how to sample :/
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahKim ➑️
I have a HUGE question I wanted to sample a part of song but i want the sample to go up and down the scale but when go up and down the keys the tempo gets longer if i go deeper and faster if i go higher i want the tempo the same but the pitch different how do i do that? i just dont know how to sample :/
Takes lots of fooling around and research to figure out all the tricks of the trade.

You have to use a method that pitch shifts the samples without affecting the sample length.

What happens when you just sample a sound at middle C and play up and down on a keyboard is it just plays the sample back at higher or lower sample rates, kind of like speeding up or slowing down a tape machine but in steps. A slower sample rate means it plays the same number of of samples, but takes longer to do it so slows the tempo. Say you sample one second of audio. It will have 48,000 samples for one second of audio at regular pitch, it would take two seconds to play all those 48k of samples one octave down.

A pitch shifter changes the frequency and formants of a sample rather than adjusting the sample rate.

I don't know FL, but many modern sample applications and even hardware samplers have modes to do this realtime. At the least you could do manually by modifying each instance of the sample with an editor.

You might try AbletonLive. It's quite good for sample composition. Reason has some good sample and slicing tools as well.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
nice thread !!!!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…