Quantcast
Our New Studio. Drop ceiling issues. What do you guys think? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Our New Studio. Drop ceiling issues. What do you guys think?
Old 12th September 2012
Our New Studio. Drop ceiling issues. What do you guys think?

This a project we a few friends and I have been working on for a few years. It just all came together in the last Month. So we are revealing it to the Gear Slut World. Constructive criticism is what we are after. This is a studio on a tight tight budget and most of the equipment was free or extremely cheap.

Mackie D8B running V3.0 (cant get 5.1 to work) but has apogee card and a load of ufx and efx cards
HDR 24/96( great unit for the price)
Profire 2626 with M-powered and a slue of neve plugins
HS80M for main monitors and a set of KRK5's for the Live room
Furman Headphone Dist system
Alesis Quadraverb Q2
DBX Comps and gates
MAc Pro Octo Core with Logic and Pro tools
Pair of Sterling ST55 LDC's
SEN E609's
MXL V69 with NOS 64' Mullard
and im sure theres more mics in the locker Im forgetting about.

So let us know what you guys think. We are pretty pleased with it seeing that its in a basement and started as one large room. Only problems we have at the time(other than the inherent problems and quirks of each piece of equipment) is the ceiling. That is where we are needing guidance

Attached Thumbnails
Our New Studio. Drop ceiling issues. What do you guys think?-615591_410899792305574_1943547641_o.jpg   Our New Studio. Drop ceiling issues. What do you guys think?-415563_310093419052879_104900929_o.jpg   Our New Studio. Drop ceiling issues. What do you guys think?-193384_410899685638918_452489141_o.jpg  

Last edited by RickyBobbyStudio; 12th September 2012 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: Missing Links for photos
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
in my old studio we had a drop ceiling and we rolled out insulation up there

the more you can cram in there the better
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
That is an awful lot of foam on the walls. Does it not sound too dull?
Does your left hand monitor not sound bigger in the low end than the right hand one? The ceiling is probably the least of your issues in that room.

Maybe a ceiling cloud in the vocal booth would be helpful. The control room would most likely need some advice from someone with a lot of experience with small imperfect environments. Maybe post this on the Acoustics forum. There are some quite smart designers over there. Good luck.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Drop ceilings are not necessarily bad. They can function effectively as a bass trap which is key in any CR. I did not look at the pix but if the ceiling has typical 2x2 or 2x4 tiles in a frame, there are companies that make acoustical tiles you can replace with. Do a google search. They can look nicer too.

The acoustics of the room are most important.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm no acoustician, but gear and the drop ceiling are most likely the least of your problems. The room is too small and you're probably going to have low frequency problems-galore. Run some sine wave sweeps and listen to where the bass humps are, and treat accordingly. Since you probably can't make the room bigger, keep your expectations in line and do what you can.

Firstly, I'd get as far away from that left-hand nook as possible (low freq. resonance). Put the sofa there. Loose some of foam and add diffusion, as well as some DIY corner traps (rigid insulation cut into triangles and stacked in the corners).

Maybe ask in the acoustics forums for advice?
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I hated drop ceiling at my old studio, now I have a nice solid surface. That's waaaaay too much thin foam on the walls. All you're doing is killing your highs. I'd switch most of it out for diffusers and bass traps.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I agree with junior. That nook looks Problematic. Scoot your desk over to the right.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you can actually use the drop ceiling as a large bass absorber which doesn't needs any space and you can use it as a cloud to catch early reflections too.... BUT

your room/arrangement and use of foam products is REALLY bad. start from scratch, don't put your listening spot into the corner and try to place speakers symmetrical in the room.

you don't have ANY bass absorption but TOO MUCH absorption which only works from 250 or 500 hz upwards. most of the foam stuff doesn't even makes sense where you placed it.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This is a classic case of somebody from Gearzlutz taking the “room treatment” advice to the extreme.
I once recorded in a guy’s house with padding like this. I felt like I was in a psycho ward.
The whole experience was extremely uncomfortable.

But worst of all, what I heard back turned out to be one of the dullest, lifeless acoustic recordings I’ve ever put to tape.
Some of my best acoustic recordings occurred in rooms with nothing more than a few bass traps in problem areas.
Maybe that’s just a preference, but I prefer a splash of natural reverb on my acoustic when I record. I
t feels more natural than adding in fake reverb in the box.

To the poster, you have some great ideas here, but I’d sell off/exchange most of that foam. I’m a bit of minimalist when it comes to room treatment. Bass traps are much more crucial. The vocal booth is the only place I’ve ever needed a completely padded area. Even so, I detest vocal booths. One of those PrimaAcosutic reflection gizmos behind a mic stand does wonders.
📝 Reply