Quantcast
lee jackson 500 gear? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
lee jackson 500 gear?
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
lee jackson 500 gear?

anyone have any experience with the lee jackson stuff? its super cheap (on par with lindell prices) he has a reverb, tube eq and compressor all for only pennies compared to other 500 modules, has anyone use any of it? the tube eq looks like pretty interesting
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've used the reverb on a couple of sessions. Really nice. Used it on a pedal steel for monitoring and the player was extremely happy and allowed me to track him dry. Next time he was in he asked for that reverb instead of his amps :-)

Lee's a good guy too. Very responsive to questions and loves the gear.

And no, I'm not a mark. I just like his stuff :-)
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any links or details guys please ?

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORDICUS ➑️
Any links or details guys please ?

PEACE

MORDICUS
Professional Studio Gear by Lee Jackson
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks hasbeen

peace

MORDICUS
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I am a dealer for Lee and I have all 5 of his modules in stock (Reverb, Tube EQ, Comp, Fuzz, and DI). Hi-rez photos / specs are here:

<LEE JACKSON Mr. Springgy Reverb MRSP-500S Vintage-Style Spring Reverb for the API 500-Seres Racks and 1806 Consoles>
<LEE JACKSON Creamy Compressor CC-550S Vintage-Style Studio Compression for the API 500-Seres Racks and 1806 Consoles
<LEE JACKSON Tube EQ TEQ-500S Vintage-Style Studio Equalizer for API 500-Seres Racks and 1806 Consoles>
<LEE JACKSON Fuzzy Fingers FF-550S Studio Distortion for the API 500-Seres Racks and 1806 Consoles>

Customer feedback has been very favorable:

β€œI used my Mr. Springgy 500 yesterday on a vintage violin, it sounded awesome!! I love this unit.”

-- David Champoux
Studio Champoux
Quebec, Canada

They work perfectly in the API racks and the 1608 console, but we have had a couple of compatibility issues in 3rd party racks, both in BAE and A-designs. They are designed to the API 500 spec, which is for some strange reason not universal.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm curious abouot the tube EQ. Heard good things about the reverb, but I have 4 channels of real spring verbs and I don't need more at the moment, despite the attractive price. Yet to hear any feedback about the EQ which sounds very interesting, but I'm always skeptical of units using a tube in 500 series; is there a power inverter in there or is it starved plate (or is it not being used as a gain stage, i.e. post eq make up amp, but something else, like actually part of the filter section as the promo lit implies, and for which full/normal plate voltage is not required).

Besides that, just generally interested in user feedback as this thing is supposed to be program adaptive.
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Gremlin ➑️
I'm curious about the tube EQ... is it starved plate?
Lee says he is not starving the plate, but running it as high as he can with the available supplies.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The "creamy compressor" just came in last week. Havent had a chance to use it yet, its supposed to be influnced by the LA-3.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Gearslutz App
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipaquarius ➑️
The "creamy compressor" just came in last week. Havent had a chance to use it yet, its supposed to be influnced by the LA-3.
hipaquarius, have you had the chance to use it yet? I'm thinking about getting one.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
yeah, bump for onions, por favor
Old 23rd September 2012
Deleted 1846071
I have his Mr Springgy pedal and it's great - good build quality and smooth sound, no signal degradation.
Old 15th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
anyone heard the tube eq yet?
Old 17th October 2012
I picked up one of the compressors myself recently. I have not had a lot of time to play with it and compare it to others, but my first reaction was that I would not call it "creamy"... but then again maybe it was the source or I was just hitting it too hard. I ran a snare track through it and it slammed it pretty good. not something I would probably use for most tracks though. on a mono room mic it definitely brought out the room. hope to try some other stuff this week.

Mike
Old 29th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
A word of warning. These modules (at least the Mr Springy) have the contacts on the edge connector on the opposite side from my other modules. Not an issue with most racks, but I think THAT is why their site says they don't work with BAE racks. My "Modded" DBX rack had to have it's connector re-wired to work with my Mr. Springy.
Old 13th November 2012
I spent a little more time with the LJ Creamy Compressor recently. I had a jazz guitar track that wasn't sitting right in the mix. It was a semi-muted sort of strummed chord thing (that's drummer talk for I don't really know what the heck he was doing...). it was a bit muddier sounding than other tracks I had recorded with the same setup, so I ran it through the LJCC and then into a PeterC 5003 EQ to roll off a little low end. I would have preferred to put the EQ first, but then it gets kind of noisy. Anyway, I moved the LJCC toward the expansion side and along with a small amount of EQ, got a little more air into the track and it sounded much better in the mix.

next with the same group, the bass player sent me a new bass track. I usually run it through my LA-610 for a little EQ and compression but decided to try the same LJCC to 5003. Again I rolled off some low end because I don't like the results of the particular bass and DI used by him (its always muddy). I adjusted the in/out and adjusted the knob to the compress side this time. The compressor seemed to work pretty well and smoothed out the track without being obvious. I almost wasn't sure it was working but the resultant wave form (in PT) was definitely compressed. and it sounded pretty good in the mix.

so it will probably get some use and it was fairly low cost.
Old 13th November 2012
one other thing I should mention is that the quality of the module itself is lower cost. the faceplate seems to be plastic and all of the modules have a sticker on the front faceplate - not paint or silk-screen. I don't really like the knobs but that is just personal taste (I prefer the larger, machined aluminum found on some). The pots feel solid, but a move a little bit more easily than others - but its not like they are so loose they would drift on their own or anything. again I just prefer a little tighter feel on the pot.

But of course that doesn't affect how it sounds today - of course I will have to wait and see how the pots and other electronics hold up over time. I hope it does OK!

Mike
Old 24th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldrummer ➑️
one other thing I should mention is that the quality of the module itself is kinda cheap- hence the lower cost. the faceplate seems to be plastic and all of the modules have a sticker on the front faceplate. this is not paint or silk-screen folks. I don't really like the knobs but that is just personal taste (I prefer the larger, machined aluminum found on some). The pots feel solid, but a move a little bit more easily than others . . .
Thanks for the info. Has anyone tried the tube EQ?
Old 19th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
reviving this -- interested in the tube eq. .
Old 19th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The tube eq either works on the source or it doesn't. You know in 30 seconds if it's gonna work it's magic. When it doesn't it's no loss, you just move on. When it does.. dang...

Overheads/room mics, acoustic guitar are great candidates.
Old 22nd March 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Good prices and made in usa...
How is this brand of modules holding up for people?

Any build quality issues or anything, after using them for a while?
Old 22nd March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lee's stuff is great and he's a super cool cat! He really cares.
About the 500 series edge connector, many pieces use that side of the edge connector. It's usually earlier BAE lunch boxes that have the issue. You have to mult both sides of the edge connector to get some of the newer designs to work.
Old 3rd April 2015
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Has anyone used the DI? Would be interested on your thoughts on it as a DI and a Re- amper.
I'm currently using a Raidial re-amp box, but I've got a spare slot in my Cube to fill.
Old 3rd April 2015 | Show parent
Noa
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riku ➑️
Has anyone used the DI? Would be interested on your thoughts on it as a DI and a Re- amper.
I'm currently using a Raidial re-amp box, but I've got a spare slot in my Cube to fill.
I have the "Direct Injector"

The DI is nothing to write home about. The DI's on my Metric Halo ULN-8 usually are a better choice and my Electrodyne 501 blows it away. As an insert for guitar pedals and stuff, It works great for me because I use it as a 100% wet parallel effects loop.

Sounds fine and the input and output knobs are helpful. Hope this helps.
Old 28th December 2015
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Have had the tube eq for a couple years now and just actually bought a second one. Doing indie/hard rock for the most part. Like it on vox and acous gtr. For both there is a subtle thickening it adds that I like, and I often use it in conjunction with a more surgical eq as it is very much a broad stroke kind of eq. Side note: in my api 500vpr the eq doesnt power up unless phantom is on...a little weird.
Old 14th August 2016
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Lee Jackson's tube EQ is, for us, a magic bullet. We have 5 of them in various voiceover studios..it adds just the right "air" and lower MIDS to punch thru on TV work. I have only had one rack they didn't work in. A Fedemstein Bento 2. It might be the edge connector issue, or that Lee's module is just a smidgen short and the rack is made for the faceplate to sit outside the surface of the PSU. But these are really outstanding USA made EQs and work just wonderfully for me.
Old 14th October 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have the direct injector and it's a cool piece of kit, surprised you don't hear more about these with the popularity of 500 series and fx pedal use in the studio more these days
πŸ“ Reply