The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
STEMS: Printing Reverb Separate
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
STEMS: Printing Reverb Separate

HEy,

In keeping reverb separate but accessible when printing stems:
Do you prefer to have each stem with it's (sent) amount of reverb RETURNED and printed onto that respective stem? Or, just print one (all summed together) reverb stem? Seems like a toss up of plus' and minus'? If I choose to print each stem WET I will also need to take in a DRY set. Not a big deal, but a lot more work. Or, I could go to the trouble of bringing each reverb send a seperate track (hardly a stem at that point)?

FYI, I'm about to chalk up my first experience of taking stems into a studio to mix through a nice console. The only other times that I've mixed at a studio I had the fortune/luxury of being able to just open the session, pipe it through the console and hardware, and print.

The studio has multiple plates and various other options, and it's a good bet that we'll abandon the reverb that I've dialed up. But not such a good bet that I won't want to have it on hand if it's not happening with the "real" stuff. So, please, give me the low down. Thanks
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
usually I only do dry and wet and reverb-only stems for lead vox, and for drums if there's any artificial drum room or snare effect added ...
these are the most important for remix purposes (that's actually what the stems are needed most often for me), and these are also the ones where changes are most likely to happen.
don't think I (or a customer) ever wanted to change the room / ambience / reverb settings for guitars or synths, but that's just how things go here for me.
Old 24th August 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Well after giving it a lot of thought I think it depends on the amount of control you want to have for a remix or making future changes in the mix. So if you print each stem and its effects sends separately you have a huge amount of control. To save time in the stem print process you can avoid sharing send effects between stems in the mix process. So for each track you’ll end up with two outs, dry and solo FX. So if you route of this outs to a Stereo track you can print your stems in one pass. If yo did share the FX sends then you can route all the instruments to a PRINT bus and all your sends to a PRINTFX BUS, and print stem by stem.
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would consider separating your vocal and music fx into two separate auxs for this reason. Printing those auxs along with dry stems is the ideal way to go from a mixers' perspective.

EZ

Xander Knight
Old 24th August 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
depends on the use of the efx/reverb: if it's an integral part of a group/submix/stem or achieved onlyafter a serious amount of tweaking (say automated de-esser, comp and volume on the aux send), i'd print both aux send and return of this specific instrument
if the reverb was just used as a generic tool to hear the instruments with some room during pre-mixing and will most likely replaced anyhow, i'd ditch it altogether.
if all efx seems to be fine, i'd print all of them into a dedicated efx stem.
Old 24th August 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Generally if the mixer likes to do a lot of compression, parallel stuff and outboard things you should have it separate to get the full dynamic width of his/her mix choices.

If it's really part of your sound, do both and keep both doors open.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…