Quantcast
looking to upgrade. 500 series? 3124+? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
looking to upgrade. 500 series? 3124+?
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
looking to upgrade. 500 series? 3124+?

Hi, This is my first post. I've done a fair amount of reading on this subject but was hoping to get some specific opinions.

I have a 002 (not ideal, I know) and around 2000$(not anymore. I'm married)I won't have any opportunities in the near future since my wife just started uni. so, this has to go a long way.

I'm wanting to upgrade with some gear that will help now and in the future. these are the thoughts I've had.... 1. the black lion signature mod- I read somewhere that PT11 will not allow connectivity to the 002's(which seems weird since you can now run pt with any interface or none at all). 2. Api lunchbox route - 2000$ doesn't get me much to start off with. the radial workhorse is obv what I'd want to go with but then I wouldn't be able to get even one pre. Many people around me are suggesting two API 512's and the 6 spot lunchbox. 3. a used 3124+ for 2000 in the city I live in.
4. anything you suggest.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I'm not sure what you're recording, but it's hard to go wrong with good preamps. I would look at the Daking Mic Pre IV and the API 3124, seems like you're money would go just a little further than with a 500 series lunchbox. But it depends what you're doing, there might be better choices if you just need a vocal chain for example.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hi Mike, I'm recording everything from, vox, bass, drums, guitar, acoustic and keyboard. would you say 2000 for the 3124 is a reasonable price? I've made a low offer of 1700 but he hasn't gotten back to me.

Am I right to think that running each of the pres of the 3124 into a pad/attenuator and then into the additional four inputs(5-8) is the way to use this machine? That would require xlr to qaurter inch cables. That's no issue?
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
whoa. the guy just accepted 1700$. should I?
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i had the same situation before my first child was born. I had 3 API 512c's and a lunch box, and then realized if i sold it all i could buy a 3124+ and have money left over. JUMP on that for $1700, thats a steal

PS - That was 2 years ago and i have been blowing people away with the sound quality of that thing ever since
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Sounds like a good price to me.

I'm using a Daking Mic Pre IV and doing recording at my band's practice space so I'm not running a full blown studio. For me, 4 inputs is enough to record drums (Glyn Johns mic set up, good drummer) so with a few DI's and a reamp box (into BLA modded 002R), I can record complete rhythm tracks live and reamp the guitars later. So basically everything except bass goes through the Daking preamps at some point, they sound great and I think it's provided a big step up in my recordings. If you're in a similar situation/working method , I think the API 3124 could be great for your recordings.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
You shouldn't need an attenuator on each mic output of the 3124, there's a -20db pad on each preamp if the signal is too hot. You should be able to run them straight to the line inputs on the 002, so yes you'll need 1/4" to XLR cables, I had some made for me by Redco.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricity17 ➑️
You shouldn't need an attenuator on each mic output of the 3124, there's a -20db pad on each preamp if the signal is too hot. You should be able to run them straight to the line inputs on the 002, so yes you'll need 1/4" to XLR cables, I had some made for me by Redco.
It might be nice to have attenuators handy though, if you're tracking drums. In my experience, having to use the pad on the API is a total vibe-killer. Right when they start to hit the sweet spot, you're clipping your converters. When I was on an API console 4-5 days a week, I always routed signal through the small faders on the way into pro tools, and would drop the signal 6 or so dB.

When I moved to working in a place that had 200-series racks, it was somewhat of a pain to deal with not having a fader or attenuator available on the back end.

If you like to run your preamps really clean, this isn't much of an issue, and won't impede you in any way, shape or form. Definitely take advantage of the pads on your mics though, if you can.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hey Nick, what do you use for attenuators? I've always used the pads in my Daking but maybe I'm missing out on some good crunch.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks guys. Going to grab it tonight. He says it's in perfect working condition. Any things to look out for?
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'd get the attenuators for sure and crank those pres!! That's when it starts to get good! Don't bother with the built in pad.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamjohnny ➑️
Thanks guys. Going to grab it tonight. He says it's in perfect working condition. Any things to look out for?
Not much really: check for scratchy pots and just make are channels are working i.e. that all op-amps are fully operational. Great purchase btw. Thumbs up!
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricity17 ➑️
Hey Nick, what do you use for attenuators? I've always used the pads in my Daking but maybe I'm missing out on some good crunch.
Little labs makes the REDCLD, an 8 channel attenuator with Ddub connectivity. I hear really good things about that box, though I haven't used one myself. The guy who designs that stuff is a genius!
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Alert. The guy at the local music store says that he would be putting that money towards the used 1300$ Ensemble before I get an amazing pre like that. Because of the clock and converter. Thoughts?
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ignore him. Upgrade your analogue before your convertors. The APIs will make a bigger difference. ALSO resale value. If you ever want to resell then you'll always get $2k for the 3124. The Ensemble is already down to $1k on ebay and will likely drop even further in the next year.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
pres

Agreed, $1700 for 4 API, that is a great deal get it! I truly believe in the mantra that has been chanted around here for days in this order:

Good Song -> Good Performance -> Mic -> Pre -> Converter -> Life's Good!

The song and the performance is the real key, the API is just gonna make your life that much better. Now don't get me wrong good converters and other stuff do help are are necessary, but from my experience mic, mic placement, good preamps make a bigger difference.

Good luck!
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnpdi ➑️
Agreed, $1700 for 4 API, that is a great deal get it!
Insane deal! Well, well worth the money! That's the cheapest I've ever heard of. That's not much more than the list price for 2 API 512s and no lunchbox.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Okay. I talked to the guy. Seems like a nice enough guy. Weird thing is, I'm supposed to meet him at his truck(I guess he does on site recording and has an rv sized recording truck). Def giving me a bit of the heebeegeebies.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Time to call your homie to go with.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Along with your buddy, take a small mixer, 2x xlr cables, mic & headphones to test the unit before buying it if you can.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
It's beautiful. It's beauty was completely eclipsed by the beauty of his studio on wheels. Jesus. Anyways, thanks for your help.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Glad the situation turned out well! I've got a few preamps I'm really happy with right now, but I'm at the end of saving toward a big step up in conversion, after which I'll be looking for a 3124 (I have a 2 channel handbuilt API clone that I love, I want more channels!), and I'll be thrilled if I can find one for $1700. I think you made a good choice!
πŸ“ Reply