Quantcast
Drum chop and recording - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum chop and recording
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Drum chop and recording

Just wanted to share a project if anyone is interested. My buddy is doing a drum shell chop to make dragging gear around the city easier.

We have no idea how its going to sound so I'm going to do a quick recording of it when its done, anyone interested in the process or results?

Drum shell precut | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 11th September 2012
More cowbell!

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'll be interested to hear, but dont think it was a.good idea. If I really wanted easier to carry, woulda just gone electronic pads

Sent from my MB855
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I get what your saying, they are old toms that were just collecting dust so whats the harm? And dealing with E-kits at venues would be just as much as a nightmare as dragging around clunky toms. And for rock/ metal a E-kit would just be horrible sounding
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Punk ➑️
...And for rock/ metal a E-kit would just be horrible sounding
I know from experience that electronic drums are useless for country, jazz, funk, blues, and reggae. And forget about using brushes... So what ARE they good for?

Regarding the topic at hand, I've never heard of a drum shell chop (what do I know? I'm a guitar player). Could you post pics when the project is complete?
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato ➑️
I know from experience that electronic drums are useless for country, jazz, funk, blues, and reggae. And forget about using brushes... So what ARE they good for?
They only work if you have a really funny haircut and wear makeup and a head band.
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I have used some single headed half-shell drums and even played once on those no-shell drums (arbiter flats)

they certainly don't match the tone of a full shell, two headed drum, but they can fill the role of "drums" for a lot of different kinds of gigs.

I have also done a lot of gigs in the city, lugged drums up flights of stairs, through kitchens and into service elevators and so on, so I understand the other side = that the trade offs of sound quality can well be "worth it" - especially when the gig is short, inconvenient, low paying, or way downtown.

My criteria for setting up such a kit would be that they stack. If each tom does not nest inside the next larger tom - WITH the hardware on, then you really aren't saving much except a little weight.

Bulk is as much an issue as weight especially when you are trying to get a taxi to pick you up!

my half-shell drums and cymbals fit into one bag and another bag for pedal, seat and 2 stands.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear
If you're doing this for weight considerations, typically most of the weight is in the rims and hardware, so cutting down the shell depth probably won't be that significant if you continue to use the bottom rims/heads. But it really depends on the shell construction, thickness, material, etc.

If you don't continue to use the bottom rims/heads, the sound will change significantly, but can be cool if you're going for the 80s Phil Collins sound.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Alright the project is done! Here is a vid to check out the results.

Cut toms | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The goal was to save space in the car and to have less to carry. Most gigs you get in Ny you have to park a few blocks away and unloading in front of the venue is sometimes not an option. The more gear you can carry at once the better. Now 3 toms and a 13" piccolo snare are the same height as a floor tom.
I think even with really old heads the tone cuts through and the results were well worth it for an extra set of toms that were laying around. I would like to hear them with a fresh set of heads.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool, not to shabby.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear
How did you do the bearing edges?
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
The bearing edges were done with this, what ever it is

bearing edges | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Punk ➑️
The bearing edges were done with this, what ever it is

bearing edges | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Were the corners of the edges beveled, rounded, or just left flat?
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
The bearing edges were done like the original, beveled on both sides and slightly rounded.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…