Quantcast
What's with all the HR824 hate? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's with all the HR824 hate?
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What's with all the HR824 hate?

I've got the original versions (I think). Over my time here and on other forums, I've seen people act like the HR824 monitors are the absolute worst, terrible, worthless, PoS monitors ever manufactured. It's like they want to gather up all of the HR824s in existence and burn them in a huge pile like it's 1933.

Are other monitors really THAT much better? Why are they so bad?

The HR824s were my first monitors and I don't have experience with other brands/models. After reading so much about them, I'm thinking of trying out some new ones to see what people are talking about. I don't have the cash to get any new ones though so it's either I'm stuck with monitors that are terrible, or I'm stuck with hearing people say they're bad when in reality they're not.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is the reason people hate them that they've got that extra bass response or something? I turn the setting on the back to the 80hz cutoff point and let my sub do the work down there.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I also have the original version of the HR824 and I don't understand the hatred either. I guess they are not expensive and slutty enough for some people or they hate anything Mackie. I am not saying they are the greatest monitors in the world, and like any monitors you have to get used to them, but as tools to get the job done they work nicely. If you think they have too much bass you can easily switch that off. I would rather have a pair of 824's than a pair of Yamaha NS10's.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
They're incredible, if you are familiar with them. Like the NS-10's, if you get it sounding good on them at a low volume, it means it sounds really great and will translate well.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Know your room..know your monitors. You can have whatever monitors. Learn the room. Learn the monitors.
Old 11th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Mixed in a room with the original HR824s and I could not get the mixes to translate for the life of me. That's my only experience with them.
I'm sure though, just like any other monitors, if you get to know them, you can make them work. But for walking in blindly and using them for a mix, it did not work for me.
Old 11th September 2012
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Eh, people can work with whatever they want, but the 824s are the definition of a hyped monitor. Exaggerated high end, scooped mids, and hyped highs. They sell well because stuff sounds pretty good on them, but they're notorious because they tend not to translate well. People learn to work around them, but they're not ideal in terms of an honest set of studio monitors. YMMV, of course.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Many years ago my original 824 were my first set of "serious" studio monitors and I worked on them a couple of years. I never had big translation problems, they did not sound hyped to me at all, extended yes but hyped no. in fact I think that they came with a frequency plot that was very very flat, like +/- 1.5 dB from very low to very high. They have a unusual low bass extension which shakes the room more than average monitors that size and I guess that is why many think they do not translate well. I took them to another studio once and in that room with that placement they sounded totally different and unworkable to me - the difference was the room/placement: user error. The speakers sound, midrange, detail was excellent as far as I remember. Heck, I wish I could grab a pair cheap to bring back the old times, I get nostalgic with that stuff
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSLand ➑️
I've got the original versions (I think). Over my time here and on other forums, I've seen people act like the HR824 monitors are the absolute worst, terrible, worthless, PoS monitors ever manufactured. It's like they want to gather up all of the HR824s in existence and burn them in a huge pile like it's 1933.

The HR824s were my first monitors and I don't have experience with other brands/models. After reading so much about them, I'm thinking of trying out some new ones to see what people are talking about. I don't have the cash to get any new ones though so it's either I'm stuck with monitors that are terrible, or I'm stuck with hearing people say they're bad when in reality they're not.
They're great if you're doing EDM. I find the abundance of bass a bit annoying but if you've got a second pair of monitors to check the material on they're absolutely fine.
A few years back they were a good buy considering the price (and still are for house music) but there are so many monitors in the price bracket that there are alternative nowadays.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My buddy has them in a nicely treated room and I thought they were clear sounding . Maybe a little exaggerated in the lows but nothing that you couldn't adapt your ear to. Every monitor seems to have some characteristic that could be nitpicked about I think.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought an original pair from a friend who was going to Genelecs. The only issue I had early on was with the low end, but it was due to my room size and lack of bass traps. Once I got the room treated, everything I've done on them has translated beyond my expectations. No plans to replace them.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo ➑️
They have a unusual low bass extension which shakes the room more than average monitors that size and I guess that is why many think they do not translate well. I took them to another studio once and in that room with that placement they sounded totally different and unworkable to me - the difference was the room/placement: user error.
Just checking but, you guys know that there is a room mode selector switch on the back of these right? It's a baffle step compensation / wall or corner gain compensation depending on the setting. So if you have it set to full pi room mode (baffle step compensation) when you have them up against, or close to, a wall then you're getting a 6 db shelf boost starting around 80HZ (give or take, don't feel like doing the math) on top of the 3-6 db boost from the wall.

The key to using these monitors is setting this switch correctly with regards to monitor placement (out in room vs up against wall vs in the corners).

That has nothing to do with any issue as regards excessive top end, but may be a contributing factor to feeling that the mids are scooped as below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds ➑️
Eh, people can work with whatever they want, but the 824s are the definition of a hyped monitor. Exaggerated high end, scooped mids, and hyped highs. They sell well because stuff sounds pretty good on them, but they're notorious because they tend not to translate well. People learn to work around them, but they're not ideal in terms of an honest set of studio monitors. YMMV, of course.
I have used them but only in imperfect rooms. I did find that they were not very honest in that context (even given the correct room mode setting) but it could have been the room(s). I also found them to be fatiguing.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds ➑️
I heard the 824 MK1 in a well treated acoustically studio back in 2006 and I also felt that they gave quite a flattering sound too, particuarly the stereo image.
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun ➑️
I heard the 824 MK1 in a well treated acoustically studio back in 2006 and I also felt that they gave quite a flattering sound too, particuarly the stereo image.
Yeah, the widened sweet spot thing they went for just made it so there was no sweet spot. I always found the imaging very weird on them.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used 824s a few times and didn't care for them. I thought the bass was tubby. However, I could see how people could get used to how they sound and be able to mix on them.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I bought them when they first came out... been in the business as my sole career for 41 years. For me, the Mackies gave me the most inaccurate mixes I've ever done... ever... Maybe I didn't "learn them " properly but I must admit those monitors made a complete fool out of me on several ocassions. I would reference on other speakers and couldn't believe I mixed that far off.....but that's just me..... YMMV....
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSLand ➑️

I think it's the fact that engineers in general are on a limited budget, when the expectations are that the 824's are enough and real life tells those expectations are not met the monitors are easily blamed, with a non-limited budget that blaming would not be as obvious. I personally have used these and they were tricky, but once I found out how I could use them in combination with other sets they became equally important to all of my other systems and made a perfect contribution. It's the combination that makes the difference, no matter what speakers you use.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1. They have an honest low end and because of cost, many people who may not have decently treated rooms are going to buy them and find they have disastrous results.

This would happen with most, if not all monitors with extended low ends.
My Event ASP 8, similar to the Mackie at least on the bottom end, sound like crap in a typical untreated room. So do Dynaudio BM15a, even more so.
The low end excites the room and it goes downhill fast from there.

2. It's fashionable to slam Mackie and believe me, with their current crop of China made gear I am first in line. Their forum website says it all. In fact it's probably the only thing the company kept from the 90's when they were a complete USA company, and the site looks pure 90's if not 80's.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I used a set in School (i use that term loosely) In our A Room and B Room. I wasn't disappointed with and will say for the money they are good. However I love the HS80's and don't even consider anything else when I am building a studio or Post Facility. The Mackies, especially the more recent Chinese built ones, Just seem very generic sounding and well plain. With all that being said they are good monitors and it comes down to engineer preferences
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
In my experience the 824 sound GREAT on some genres of music , and TERRIBLE on others.

This is their biggest weakness, to me.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have an original set with the individual plotted graphs for each speaker from the factory. They are very flat. I've had them in a dozen different rooms over the years, and they sound very different in each room. That's the nature of acoustics.

I'm definitely not saying everyone complaining is a bedroom studio user at all, but reading on a forum often we have no idea how people set them up. ....against a wall, in a small room, no treatment, in a corner, etc.

I feel that when properly set up in a large, treated room they sound great.
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy ➑️
1. They have an honest low end and because of cost, many people who may not have decently treated rooms are going to buy them and find they have disastrous results.

This would happen with most, if not all monitors with extended low ends.
My Event ASP 8, similar to the Mackie at least on the bottom end, sound like crap in a typical untreated room. So do Dynaudio BM15a, even more so.
The low end excites the room and it goes downhill fast from there.
I suppose its good that there are lots of monitor choices as they are such a personal choice. I don't think the low end of 824s is honest. The overall sound of the 824s is dull. I also have asp8s, which (to my ears) sound miles better than the 824s.
Old 12th September 2012

🎧 10 years
I always liked em for parties. Fun and capable speakers, but not so capable "monitors".... know what I mean?
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I had them for 7 years. I always struggled to have those mixes translate into the real world. They aren't flat at all and they embellish things a lot which isn't a good thing for mixing monitors. The mid-range isn't very clear.
I upgraded to Focal Twin 6 and it was like a blanket was lifted in front of the monitors and my mixes translate very easily.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Guru

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
they're good enough for this guy...

[image removed]

jus sayin...
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I had a problem with the set in a friends studio Going into thermal at 75-85 db. I also had the same issue out of a set of Mackie Powered Concert cabs. Its all up to preference. Like bose. Smoe live guys swear by bose, others use them for bar stools.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➑️
I always liked em for parties. Fun and capable speakers, but not so capable "monitors".... know what I mean?
I agree, fun to turn up, but not to critically evaluate a mix. I can understand why the home EDM crowd dig them though. Too hyped for me though, but I am spoilt with ATC's. I can never go back.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I`m selling a pair to anyone interested. PM

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 ➑️
I agree, fun to turn up, but not to critically evaluate a mix. I can understand why the home EDM crowd dig them though. Too hyped for me though, but I am spoilt with ATC's. I can never go back.
ha! Yes. I can see you would be
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I bought a pair of the original 824s and am still using them today. I know that people here have been talking about the bass response, have you tried adjusting the filter on the back for the speaker position at all to see if that may not alleviate your problem. I know that technology has come a long way since these babies first came out in..what was it...1997?? So yes there are some better sounding speakers today I am sure. I mean come on NS-10s. If you don't think those sound a bit veiled then I must need new ears. As long as you're using more than one reference point you should be able to get something that will translate well. I still use my HR824s and I love them. Of course I don't have the thousands of dollars that I'd like to have to get me a set of nice Genelecs either. Lol
πŸ“ Reply