Quantcast
What's with all the HR824 hate? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's with all the HR824 hate?
Old 12th September 2012
Deleted User
I have 2 pair of the originals. one pair I have had for several years in a good room.. no translation issues beyond me loosing objectivity.

the second pair (in another room that I will also call good) has had the woffers changed to the new ones ( as in the current issue version) and i will say they sound better on the low end than the originals.. a tad deeper and a little less 'speaker sound' .

I have thought several times of getting better monitors but imho it would cost a lot to get enough improvement to justify.

like some other posters i think the room has L.O.T. to do with the responce ...but arent all monitors a bit like that?
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbrain ➑️
I have 2 pair of the originals. one pair I have had for several years in a good room.. no translation issues beyond me loosing objectivity.

the second pair (in another room that I will also call good) has had the woffers changed to the new ones ( as in the current issue version) and i will say they sound better on the low end than the originals.. a tad deeper and a little less 'speaker sound' .

I have thought several times of getting better monitors but imho it would cost a lot to get enough improvement to justify.

like some other posters i think the room has L.O.T. to do with the responce ...but arent all monitors a bit like that?
That's what I think it is. At least in part.

Most monitors in this price range don't go nearly as low down in the frequency range and I suspect the target audience (price wise) is not working in properly treated rooms. Some monitor that drops -3db at 65 hz may be a problem in a poorly treated room but one that drops -3b at 37 hz is going to be much, much worse in the same room.

That being said, I compared the original HR824 with the Event ASP8 in my own semi treated room and I preferred the ASP8 by a wide margin. But that's just me. I did feel I could mix on either one though and in fact worked a project solely on Mackies shortly after my purchase and they were fine for me.

Bottom line is we all have our own taste and the most important thing is to know your monitors in your room and if they work for you forget about what others say unless of course they are telling you your mixes suck
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have worked with mackies in other studios and they sound very nice, not accurate, just very very nice, kind of (please do not stone me) genelecs... in a way that anything will sound very good on them.

That being said, i have a pair of 8 inch mackie monitors (HR824mk2 or MR8) in my wishlist for editing and tracking after checking with my HS50's and HS10W combo and the remote for the presonus 2626 lets me mute the sub.

For me, this yamaha setup gives me very good translation but i get tired sooner with them (i use to have a pair ALP5 but it made me pull some hair while learning them)
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The low-mids are indeed tubby. The high-end is not hyped at all. I don't understand where this comes from. If you want hyped high end listen to Dynaudios or Adams.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've always had a bump at 125hz that I can't get rid of no matter what I do. Can that be the 'hype' you guys are talking about?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Used em for a couple years.. Weird soundstage, tubby low-mid. When I listen to mixes I did during that time, they sound thinner than I'd like. I was doing lots of folky acoustic stuff then, I remember I'd struggle with getting guitars & acoustic bass to sound full but not boomy. Never really got the hang of them.

I do remember rather enjoying them for watching movies & cranking them up for party time.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've only worked with mkII's. I've mixed quite a bit on them because a couple of my clients have them in their writing suites. They get the job done cause i have gotten to know them. But the reason I don't like them is cause they are harsh. I get ear fatigue very quickly on them. I have to mix really low which annoys my clients. But I just explain and turn it up once and a while so we can check.
Whatever works for you!
I know a Grammy award winning engineer that brings a pair of Samson Rubicons to every session.
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by radlid ➑️
I know a Grammy award winning engineer that brings a pair of Samson Rubicons to every session.
Samson and "Rube" just seems to go together well

FWIW I had a friend who has some fairly decent engineering credits to his name and he used to mix on a pair of Jensen 6x9 car speakers mounted in oak wood boxes. They were the ones with either the yellow or blue cones and were three way speakers heh
This was late 70's early 80's.

Whatever works for each of us is all that is required.
There is no right or wrong.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They're totally useful. I like to have ns10's and some krk's to switch around on but my mixes are much better having them around. I could absolutely mix on just them in a pinch and be alright. Actually I could mix on any of the 3 alone if I have a decent ref cd laying around to keep my brain in check.
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by radlid ➑️
I think thats cool - but I'd just like to say; I've a few awards and noms now - and it tends to be for my worst work. Go figure!!
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I have a pair of originals and I still really like mine. That said, lately I'm mostly just listening to tunes through them from one of my pc's in my office/studio. They also double as my gaming pc's speakers and I blast Battlefield 3 or Crysis 2 through them, awesome !
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a pair of the originals along with some high end speakers and the mixcubes. I have mixed several records on them in several different studios. My buddy has a pair in Hollywood that are soffet mounted and the mix we did on them translated better than just about anything else I have ever done. Other mixes I did years ago didn't translate as well. They have to be setup correctly but at this point I think they are better for getting inspired while tracking or to crank the mix and feel that rumble to please the band.
πŸ“ Reply