GS-R24m vs ZED R16 for the project studio
Old 1st April 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moatl ➑️
Ok just get a hold of the situation:

- Speakers connected to CRM OUT of the desk
- Mac connected to the console via firewire and all issues to the Mac and its FW port - incl. cable ruled out
- Instruments & Microphones plugged into the console are audible
on the console's master bus and the control room speakers, right?

now:

- check the allen & heath firewire application on your mac: what does it say
about the status of the console? does it say "OK"?

- If you have a mic plugged into the console - do you get a signal in Logic and
can you record it properly?

- if you have an already recorded track in Logic - let's say on track 1 in Logic - and you choose track 1 of the console as the track 1 output in the DAW - does the signal reach track 1 of the console? And if so do you hear it through the speakers?

check the attached pics - in the first pic there's two circles - a red one and a yellow one:

if you have none of the buttons in the area of the red circle pressed you will hear what comes from the channels and the master bus of the console. If you want to hear what comes from channel 31 & 32 returns (audio from the Mac, iTunes, etc.) you have to have the button in the red circle "DIG MASTER" pressed - otherwise you won't hear it.
If you have this button pressed you won't hear what comes from the channels anymore.

The peak meter in the master section (not the VU-meter) shows what reaches the control room (see pic 2)
So if you play back music from iTunes and have the DIG-MASTER button (red circle) pressed, do you see the audio level on the peak meter?

The knob and the button in the yellow circle:
if you press the button below the "DIG MASTER INPUT" knob, you send the CH 31&32 return (e.g. what comes from iTunes) to the Master bus (you'll see the VU-meters moving) - the knob controls how much of return signal is sent to the master bus.
In this case should have leave the DIG MASTER (red circle) unpressed - so you hear how the return signal sounds through the console's master bus.

...just ideas

WOW!
...Thank you SO much for this!

Allen & Heath, this is the kind of help I was expecting to get from YOU weeks ago!

I'm gonna go through all this in the next couple of hours and report back.

I really am blown away by your responses. What a great community this is!

Thanks again.
Old 1st April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR24mProblem ➑️

Mike Griffin are you out there somewhere?
You could try to PM him here - his username is "AlienHealth" I think...
Old 2nd April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes Mike from A&H is AlienHealth! Very helpful if you catch him here online.
Usually a PM will get you a reply but it may be awhile. I'm sure he only checks here from time to time.

I find it funny that the OP's username is "GSR24mProblem"....
Are you planning on changing that to "GSR24mWorking" when you get this figured out?....

Trying to read and comprehend what is going on is so difficult on forums.
There's just no way to really know.
99% of these just work fine and then there is that 1% that are quirks.

I think Moatl's response is the best anyone can do (including A&H support via email). Phone call to A&H or your distributor is your best method of service/support help. Emails as follow up is fine but emails in general have the same problems and results as getting advice here on the forum. Then there is possible language barriers and users background knowledge to contend with.
Never enough real time info and feedback via email to expect more than the standard reply with typical trial and error guess.

The standard help will always be start all over from scratch, uninstall everything on the computer related to the device drivers and go through the manual carefully reading every step and reinstall. The manual will tell you how to use the board and how to install drivers....the rest is just up to your own experience and knowledge.
Old 6th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
so how did it work out gsr24mproblem?
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm also interested - how did it work out?

Did I mention that I love this console? The EQs alone are fantastic!! I'm mixing another project at the moment and the EQs are almost like a magic wand

Sometimes I feel like I'm well overpaid for what I do because I don't have to work really hard to make it sound good.
It's like "What?! That's it already?"
Just listen to the sound - turn some knobs and instantly everything just falls into place. And when I bypass the EQs then I almost can't believe it sounded so relatively bad before!
And I'm only talking about pushing or pulling just a couple dbs here and there - the two fully parametric mid bands are a killer feature!
This board is a sleeper and I'm sure if it cost 3 or 4 times as much as it does and had a bigger name printed on it many more Gearslutz would rave about this board!

Thank god it's in a price range where many of those don't even look at it

P.S.: Mitzush - did you just buy an AES-EBU snake on ebay?
Old 8th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
P.S.: Mitzush - did you just buy an AES-EBU snake on ebay?
heh yes indeed! I wondered if it was you.

as you can see, I'm fluent in google translated German
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hahaa that's hilarious!! heh
The world is very small indeed!

I'll send it to you tomorrow morning
Old 8th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hahaa that's hilarious!! heh
The world is very small indeed!

I'll send it to you tomorrow morning
At least I know now it's going to be a good quality cable

cheers, Pete
Old 9th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi everyone

I've had to go abroad due to a family emergency. When I'm back in a week or so I'll report on the state of the issues with the desk. Thanks again so very much for all your help and advice.

Best regards!
Old 24th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm back.
I've had a quick play with the desk again thisafternoon.

Its all connected up properly and I can hear audio when a mic or guitar is plugged in.
It records to logic fine but it plays back at very low volume.

After having a bit of a fiddle with a few random buttons (remember I'm no engineer - my knowledge is extremely limited) it seems that I can get almost full volume by pressing all the AFL buttons and turning up the aux sends. None of the Auxes go anywhere at the moment.
Although the volume is almost at a normal level there's a terrible hiss.

Are we onto something here or is this a little misguided?
Attached Thumbnails
GS-R24m vs ZED R16 for the project studio-gsr24.jpg  

Last edited by GSR24mProblem; 24th April 2013 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Typos
Old 24th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm back.
I've had a quick play with the desk again thisafternoon.

Its all connected up properly and I can hear audio when a mic or guitar is plugged in.
It records to logic fine but it plays back at very low volume.

After having a bit of a fiddle with a few random buttons (remember I'm no engineer - my knowledge is extremely limited) it seems that I can get almost full volume by pressing all the AFL buttons and turning up the aux sends. None of the Auxes go anywhere at the moment.
Although the volume is almost at a normal level there's a terrible hiss.

Are we onto something here or is this a little misguided?
Hi there,

a couple of questions...

where are you routing the audio from Logic to on the desk? which channels?

what happens when you don't have any AFL buttons pressed (none lit up)?

It makes no sense that turning up the Aux sends would have any effect at all if they are not routed anywhere.
Old 5th May 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User
sorry to ask the odvious but can the GS R24 pans be automated along with the levels and aux levels etc ? and whats the total number of analogue inputs this can handle ? 56 ? but 24 at mixdown ?
Old 7th May 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Answers to these questions.

Quote:
Ok just get a hold of the situation:

- Speakers connected to CRM OUT of the desk

Yes.

- Mac connected to the console via firewire and all issues to the Mac and its FW port - incl. cable ruled out

Yes.

- Instruments & Microphones plugged into the console are audible
on the console's master bus and the control room speakers, right?

Yes

now:

- check the allen & heath firewire application on your mac: what does it say
about the status of the console? does it say "OK"?

It says NORMAL

- If you have a mic plugged into the console - do you get a signal in Logic and
can you record it properly?

Yes it records fine.

- if you have an already recorded track in Logic - let's say on track 1 in Logic - and you choose track 1 of the console as the track 1 output in the DAW - does the signal reach track 1 of the console? And if so do you hear it through the speakers? edit: you have to have button "C" or "B" on the console's Channel 1 pressed!!

Yes, but very low volume.

check the attached pics - in the first pic there's two circles - a red one and a yellow one:

if you have none of the buttons in the area of the red circle pressed you will hear what comes from the channels and the master bus of the console. If you want to hear what comes from channel 31 & 32 returns (audio from the Mac, iTunes, etc.) you have to have the button in the red circle "DIG MASTER" pressed - otherwise you won't hear it.
If you have this button pressed you won't hear what comes from the channels anymore.

The peak meter in the master section (not the VU-meter) shows what reaches the control room (see pic 2)
So if you play back music from iTunes and have the DIG-MASTER button (red circle) pressed, do you see the audio level on the peak meter?

The knob and the button in the yellow circle:
if you press the button below the "DIG MASTER INPUT" knob, you send the CH 31&32 return (e.g. what comes from iTunes) to the Master bus (you'll see the VU-meters moving) - the knob controls how much of the return signal is sent to the master bus.
In this case should leave the DIG MASTER (red circle) unpressed - so you hear how the return signal sounds through the console's master bus.

...just ideas

The only way I seem to be able to get near-normal volume is by cranking the auxes and pressing the AFL buttons although this also brings a high-pitched hum. The aux sends don't go anywhere - its like there's some weird internal routing going on here. How can I check this?

See photo for the AFL buttons pressed.

Thanks again for all the help and advice!!
Attached Thumbnails
GS-R24m vs ZED R16 for the project studio-andhdesk.jpg  
Old 7th May 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
urgent help needed.

Hey all.

If you have one of these desks and/or know it inside out I could really use your help!

I really need to get my GSR24m working ASAP as I have some recording coming up in a week or so. I'm happy to pay you (via Paypal) for your time. If you think you can help me get this desk sorted once and for all please DM me and we can talk further. I'm happy to pay 50 Euros per hour for a max of three of hours to get this sorted. You MUST have first-hand knowledge of this desk. Please let me know if you're up for this.

Very best regards!
GSR24mProblem

Please
Someone
Help
Me!!!
Old 21st May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice thread,

About GSR24mProblem,
Is your desk still under warranty?
You should push A&H to help you out, unless they are convinced maybe the problem is your MAC and not their FW/Desk
Old 24th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ok so I was finally able to remove the FireWire card. See the attached photos - I think we have found our problem.

I'm not any kind of technical expert but to me it looks like something has exploded! Maybe a capacitor.

It's out of warranty but hopefully Allen & Heath will replace it for free. Surely these Β£600 firewire cards are not meant to be a consumable item! Only had the desk just over 18 months, and this problem happened in November last year.

Does anyone know what the exploded thing was?
Attached Thumbnails
GS-R24m vs ZED R16 for the project studio-imageuploadedbygearslutz1369385465.386453.jpg   GS-R24m vs ZED R16 for the project studio-imageuploadedbygearslutz1369385490.175276.jpg  
Old 24th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ok so I was finally able to remove the FireWire card. See the attached photos - I think we have found our problem.

I'm not any kind of technical expert but to me it looks like something has exploded! Maybe a capacitor.

It's out of warranty but hopefully Allen & Heath will replace it for free. Surely these Β£600 firewire cards are not meant to be a consumable item! Only had the desk just over 18 months, and this problem happened in November last year.

Looks like two capacitors next to each other. If the rest of the board is in good condition it should be an easy fix to de-solder them and replace them, but I would definitely show those photos to Allen and Heath. Glad you found the cause of the problem. I would like to know what caused them to malfunction.
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good to finally have a solid possible cause identified and hopefully that is the only culprit, I hope it is an easy fix and A&H can get it sorted for you possibly
Old 24th May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

It was an electrolytic capacitor that buried two resistors under its remains...you can see they're blackened from the explosion.

If you can do it yourself this fix will probably not even cost you 1€ in parts - very easy!

But still A&H should help you there - this is not supposed to happen!
Old 3rd June 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
GS-R24M - Blown Capacitors

There have been problems in the electronics industry with some components being sold which were "counterfeit" components: they were labeled as being a certain capacity (usually in "X" number of microfarads) and with a certain maximum voltage, but in reality there were smaller capacitors installed inside the capacitor's "can" housing. This basically means it's too small to do the job, which can result in overheating and possible rupture / explosion. It could also be a cause of increased noise and inadequate filtering, even if it does not fail quite this dramatically.

It is possible this is the cause of the failure, but, this is only one possibility.
If the capacitors were from China (and if the board was actually manufactured there) I would certainly not rule this out, as I've seen articles about this on electronics sites.

Starliner
Old 20th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
So.....

Allen & Heath came to the party and repaired the exploded FireWire card superfast to accommodate a pre-booked recording session. The desk is now working perfectly - apart from a stuck VU meter which has never worked.

Thank you Mike at A&H UK for turning around the repair so quickly and for covering all costs despite the desk being officially out-of-warranty. I really appreciate the effort in getting the FireWire card back to me as fast as you did.

Also thanks again to all of you guys on GearSlutz for your input. Without your suggestions I never would have pulled out the FireWire card and discovered the problem.

To answer an earlier question: Yes, I will change my username to something more appropriate now that there is no longer a problem with my GSR24m.

Beat regards!
Old 20th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Good news! Have fun!
Old 20th June 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
GS-R24M - Ready to get one

Good to hear the board fix was fast and easy!

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I've been looking at this unit and researching it myself... and I can't really find anything that directly competes with it. What I've read so far has reinforced my decision.... I WANT ONE!

I'm interested to see and hear comments and tips on use (good, bad, neutral) from other users of the GS-R24M, as is a friend of mine who is also thinking hard about one for his studio.

Thanks!

Starliner
Old 20th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Glad you got it sorted GSR24mProblem, maybe username can be GSR24mNoProblem now...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo ➑️
Glad you got it sorted GSR24mProblem, maybe username can be GSR24mNoProblem now...
Hmmm ... I was thinking more along the lines of 'GSR24mFanBoi.'

Prado

PS I want one too ... but if it ever happens, it won't be for a few years yet.
Old 20th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo ➑️
Hahaha!

But good to hear you got it sorted!!
Have fun working with this great console - still loving mine!

And I'm really anxious what your new username will be
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Thank you Mike at A&H UK for turning around the repair so quickly and for covering all costs despite the desk being officially out-of-warranty. I really appreciate the effort in getting the FireWire card back to me as fast as you did.
Nice one. That sounds more like the Allen & Heath we know and love
Old 22nd June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I think the new username is gonna have to be G5Problem.

...No sooner than the GSR is fixed the Mac decides to flatly refuse to boot up.

Might take up knitting instead...
Old 25th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Wow, I didn't realize this thread was still going.

I wanted to give everyone an update and say not only is the GSR24m great for the home/project studio, but Pete made a set of beautiful mahogany side panels for mine that look great in the custom desk I built. Thanks Pete!

I've been using this board about 8 months now and I just keep loving it more and more.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
GS-R24m vs ZED R16 for the project studio-dsd_1351_1195.jpg  
Old 25th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaCali ➑️
Wow, I didn't realize this thread was still going.

I wanted to give everyone an update and say not only is the GSR24m great for the home/project studio, but Pete made a set of beautiful mahogany side panels for mine that look great in the custom desk I built. Thanks Pete!

I've been using this board about 8 months now and I just keep loving it more and more.

Cheers!
Glad to be of service

Lovely set up you have there!

Cheers, Pete
πŸ“ Reply