Quantcast
Full range loudspeaker for re-amping - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Full range loudspeaker for re-amping
Old 10th September 2012
Fezzle
Full range loudspeaker for re-amping

Can anyone recommend me a large quality loudspeaker/monitor for re-amping sounds.. I've been looking at some on ebay, but would love any to chime in with their perceptions/experience. Even if its slow and a little flabby, nice airy tops whatever, olf n crusty from 1979... basically after a low wattage speaker that has its own tone and a nice one if possible.

Cheers!
Old 10th September 2012

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Depends entirely on the effect you want - do you really want low wattage though? I consider reamping to be about getting the sound of an amp, and there is no end of possible amps to try.

I'm guessing you are looking for more of an echo chamber speaker, or just some "world-ising" with a fairly full range clean speaker? A lot of people would use their monitor speaker for that.

Unless you want to capture some AC hum and hiss, I would suggest avoiding most active monitors. And i'm generally trying to get away from any 'hifi' sort of sound, so my preference is to use an EV12L guitar cab with a quality solid state amp that is far away from the mic so there is no acoustic hum and no electronic hiss or hum. The EV12L is like 200W - but that means Headroom for days - very clean (for a guitar cab) and more highs and lows than a typical guitar cab.

Low watts means higher noise floor and more distortion - and if it's physically smaller that generally means a boxier midrangey sound. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Especially if you are trying to get acoustic reverb - some dirt and coloration can be very desirable. If you wanted clean and noise free then you wouldn't be leaving the box anyway.
Old 10th September 2012
Fezzle
Ah OK, well maybe low wattage isnt the way to go....but it wont need to be powerful by any means. No no guitar speaker/amp.. got a few of those. Yes I want a full range and flat speaker for evrything from bass, to keys/synths and percussive sounds. My aim is to stereo mic the speaker in the room for early reflections, before reaching for any reverbs. So I dont know if an old timer is the way to go, I'm thinking it could help me with tone a little, some old wooden cabinets have really great soundstage that fill the room, this is the kind of thing Im after, any ideas most appreciated!
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Advent makes a 70watt wedge called the AV570? It sounds "stupid" good (best way to convey how great it sounds,lol). It has a two band EQ on the front (Hi & Lo) so you can dial in the tone to a certain extent. Two of these things can fill a huge room. And I'm talking huge like 50ft x 50ft with 30ft ceilings! I've done it before. You won't believe how much air these little things can push. No joke and they are crystal clear. Thumbs up.
📝 Reply