Quantcast
Does it matter if a mac OS is higher than needed? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does it matter if a mac OS is higher than needed?
Old 10th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Does it matter if a mac OS is higher than needed?

Okay so I just upgraded my interface to a profire 610, I have protools 9 MP, and I wanted to switch out my PC for a MacBook Pro. Profire requires minimum OS of 10.4 (10.5 recommended), and Protools MP 9 requires 10.6 or higher....

My question is this: Apple just released 10.8 on their macs. Last night I had a friend say "oh, I don't know if that gear will run on 10.8, maybe it won't recognize it", but since those are the MINIMUM system requirements, I would think it would run fine. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? Any truth to what my friend said? I don't want to go buy a mac if there's a chance none of my stuff will run on it, ya know?
Thanks for your time guys!
GP
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by glpbqb ➡️
Okay so I just upgraded my interface to a profire 610, I have protools 9 MP, and I wanted to switch out my PC for a MacBook Pro. Profire requires minimum OS of 10.4 (10.5 recommended), and Protools MP 9 requires 10.6 or higher....

My question is this: Apple just released 10.8 on their macs. Last night I had a friend say "oh, I don't know if that gear will run on 10.8, maybe it won't recognize it", but since those are the MINIMUM system requirements, I would think it would run fine. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? Any truth to what my friend said? I don't want to go buy a mac if there's a chance none of my stuff will run on it, ya know?
Thanks for your time guys!
GP
Yes, it matters. In particular, a lot of stuff was broken when OSX went to 10.7 (Lion). Check with vendor docs on all of your critical software and drivers before upgrading.

That said, Pro Tools is probably fine. If your Profire's drivers are up to date, the Windows > Mac upgrade will be harder than the specific OSX version. I did it a couple of years ago and it's the best decision I ever made for recording software. So nice to have an OS and backup system that Just Works.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yeah, software is really picky when it comes to what version of Mac OS you have. better stick to the letter of the law or you'll likely find your software malfunctioning
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I use OS 10.6.8 on my Macs The later Lions are a terrible change and will break a lot of legacy software. Use Snow Leopard!
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson ➡️
I use OS 10.6.8 on my Macs The later Lions are a terrible change and will break a lot of legacy software. Use Snow Leopard!
And newer Gear/drivers/SW will then break with SnowLion.... Frankly speaking third parties should upgrade their stuff, if they don't you get abandon-ware and just abandon such companies.
📝 Reply