Quantcast
matched mics, is it really worth the extra $$$? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
matched mics, is it really worth the extra $$$?
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Asymmetrical Stereo Mic Technique

Actually some of the best engineers I know use Asymmetrical 2 Mic Technique.

Guy Fletcher in UK tracking Vicente Amigo on Nylon Guitars w. SD and LD Mics:
Attached Thumbnails
matched mics, is it really worth the extra $$$?-vicente-amigo-guitarist-guy-fletcher-engineer.jpg  
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech ➡️
.... Another microphone that I've found to have very little unit to unit sonic difference is the Electrovoice RE20.

Dennis
That looks like the mic in those recent Metheny vids.
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If I was doing a lot of recording of live/symphonic sources in the field I might consider a matched pair. In the studio I am another one of those people who will grab two different mics and use them to record two different aspects of whatever instrument or vocalist I am working on at the time. Even on drum OH applications I often choose a mic based on which side of the kit I am using it for. I have a pair of SDCs (not specifically a "matched pair") that I use when I am close micing the kit and am using the overheads primarily for the cymbals, but that is more for convenience. Usually I will have most of my other mics on other sources in the band if I am close micing the kit. Otherwise I would probably still be better served with two "mismatched" LDCs.
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Villella ➡️
Actually some of the best engineers I know use Asymmetrical 2 Mic Technique.

Guy Fletcher in UK tracking Vicente Amigo on Nylon Guitars w. SD and LD Mics:
For close micing Ac Gtr I love a ribbon on the bridge and a SDC on the neck/body join for an older guitar and the opposite for a newer brighter Ac Gtr.

For Overheads [unless you are doing a Glynn Johns thing], and Classical Recording, Strings, Woodwinds, and non Pop piano, not so much, give me a matched pair.

That picture almost looks rather Mono to me, unless it's a strange variant on M/S with the Schoeps blocking one side of the bidirectional mic?
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
HA LOL!
Hey, I am being serious. Spaced pair. RE-20s that is.
Old 17th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
An interesting subject cropped up when I was talking to DPA. They say that with their small diaphragm mics, the tolerences in the sensitivity and frequency response are very small which means there is no need to have them matched electronically at the factory. They are selecting consecutive serial numbers.

However this is not the case with all matched stereo sets. The larger the diaphragm, the more the tolerences vary, which sort of makes sense. So it seems it may be more important to match larger diaphragms than smaller ones. I think it just depends on how the microphone is built.
📝 Reply