Quantcast
Easy Stereo Summing Question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Easy Stereo Summing Question
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Easy Stereo Summing Question

Hey all, so I have a fast easy question, something I have been thinking about here at the studio. I always send all of my tracks out to my board but I want to try just stemming all of my drums out of PT into a stereo set of faders.

I pan both of these channels on the board hard right and hard left but what about the instruments I want in the center? Won't the console just send them out hard panned? For example a mono snare I have in the phantom center of my mix is where it needs to go in PT but on the board won't it go out hard panned and loose that center position because I have those channels hard panned?

Thanks,
Kenny
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Surely not if you're just running the STEREO stem out of PT - everything will follow that, unless PT is even more weird than I previously thought.
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
If I understand what you're saying, then all will be well. When you pan the snare to the middle in the stereo submix you create in protools, then that means it is equally in the left and the right channels of the subgroup. So with you console panning left and right (with equal gain on the console's channels and equal level on the faders), then the snare will still be equally on the left and right.

Should be just fine.

Joel

Last edited by Rascal Audio; 9th September 2012 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal Audio ➡️
If I understand what you're saying, then all will be well. When you pan the snare to the middle in the stereo submix you create in protools, then that means it is equally in the left and the right channels of the subgroup. So with you console panning left and right (with equal gain on the console's channels and equal level on the faders), then the snare will still be equally on the left and right.

Should be just fine.

Joel
Thanks Joel! It's funny because I'm not new to this but I sat down last night and said, "Ok if I just use PT to mix this drum stem" haha so I was a little confused there.

Cheers,
Kenny
📝 Reply