Quantcast
atari st for a setup when sequencing? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
atari st for a setup when sequencing?
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
atari st for a setup when sequencing?

so while looking at sequencing options I recently remembered how people still use atari's (I think norman cook has one which he has used a lot in the past and still uses?)
I have some general questions about it.
which atari st models have the midi connectors? which model is preferable for music production? what hardware can be used with them,can any hardware with midi capability be hooked up to an atari and recognised with software? do I need anything additional apart from the computer itself,software, hardware (synths,samplers), a display screen/old tv.

I kind of like the idea of using an atari, I learned to produce music using trackers so I kind of learned my sequencing stuff on primitive computer setups. I also love old skool games! so I could always get my retro gaming fix on there too :D
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler22b ➡️
so while looking at sequencing options I recently remembered how people still use atari's (I think norman cook has one which he has used a lot in the past and still uses?)
Yes, some people are still happy sequencing with a ST.

Quote:
which atari st models have the midi connectors?
All of them.

Quote:
which model is preferable for music production?
The model which has at least 1 MB of RAM. 1040ST or 512ST with expanded RAM.

Quote:
what hardware can be used with them,can any hardware with midi capability be hooked up to an atari and recognised with software?
Yes, any MIDI compatible device can be used with Atari ST.

Quote:
do I need anything additional apart from the computer itself,software, hardware (synths,samplers), a display screen/old tv.
For sure you need a high res monitor. Using a TV won't work since the resolution would be inadequate (the RF modulator in the Atari can go up to 640x200, which is not good enough). If you can't find an original Atari monochrome monitor, there are plenty of links on the net which will explain how to connect a "normal" PC monitor.

I'd also go for a non-atari mouse, since the atari mouse was really, really ****.

Quote:
I kind of like the idea of using an atari, I learned to produce music using trackers so I kind of learned my sequencing stuff on primitive computer setups. I also love old skool games! so I could always get my retro gaming fix on there too :D
Good luck and happy sequencing. Do post some of the results here!
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
These days? Go the Lynn route. MPC1000 +JJOS. You'll be happy. I promise.
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Custom Audio ➡️
for sure an Atari ST is a much more powerful and easier sequencer than MPC, c'mon!
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
a mpc1000 with JJos is pretty easy to sequence on. id choose this option over an Atari any day
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yes the ST was a studio staple in the 80's and 90's.
Atari really made a wise choice by including those midi ports.
It is still highly regarded for its tight midi timing, and is probably better than my DAW in that regard.
I started using Cubase in the mid nineties on the Atari, and still use Cubase to this day, probably just because I am so familiar with it.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I started on Dr T Music Studio. It wasn't too good.

There were some good games on the ST too, I can't remember the name of it but I was obsessed with a racing one where the car was a buggy.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by filipv ➡️
Yes, some people are still happy sequencing with a ST.

All of them.

The model which has at least 1 MB of RAM. 1040ST or 512ST with expanded RAM.

Yes, any MIDI compatible device can be used with Atari ST.

For sure you need a high res monitor. Using a TV won't work since the resolution would be inadequate (the RF modulator in the Atari can go up to 640x200, which is not good enough). If you can't find an original Atari monochrome monitor, there are plenty of links on the net which will explain how to connect a "normal" PC monitor.

I'd also go for a non-atari mouse, since the atari mouse was really, really ****.

Good luck and happy sequencing. Do post some of the results here!
thanks for the help. I was going to use an old tv but it is small ,I guess I could still use that for games. I have a couple of spare flat screen monitors around which i'll look into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Custom Audio ➡️
out of interest if I wanted to do intricate editing, would an mpc be easy to do that sort of thing on it. would it be easier to write idm or breakcore on an atari? I like the idea of an mpc for music with a simple beat structure but i'm kind of interested in doing other more complex stuff. I have been looking at the idea of getting an mpc but one of the problems is I don't have a lot of money at present and I see the atari as a cheaper solution. plus like I mentioned I am interested in retro gaming so this would serve a dual purpose.
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
does anyone use any other retro computers for music making? I assumed that it was just atari that was used for serious music making.

I used to have a cpc when I was a kid, had no idea they made midi interfaces for it,but it seems there was 3 and a couple of software programs for it. I wonder if many people made music with it? can't find anything on the web about it apart from this one page;
MIDI - CPCWiki

that stuff is probably as rare as hens teeth!
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide ➡️

There were some good games on the ST too, I can't remember the name of it but I was obsessed with a racing one where the car was a buggy.
Buggy boy?
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I have some general questions about it.
which atari st models have the midi connectors? which model is preferable for music production? what hardware can be used with them,can any hardware with midi capability be hooked up to an atari and recognised with software? do I need anything additional apart from the computer itself,software, hardware (synths,samplers), a display screen/old tv.

Try to get a STe instead the STf.
-You can read/write disk & swap between PC and the ST without any tools. -The memory slot is always a SIMM connector on the STe. So you can put 8 or 9 bit RAM in 30 pins SIMM. Old STf can be SIPP, and can be wired too. You can easy find memory on Ebay, 4 Mo for few bucks. Four modules of 1 Mo 9 bit 30 pins- 1Mox9 or 1Mox3 (with 3 or 9 chips) 60,70,80 ns.
-The blitter speed up the screen display.

You can use ANY hardware that use MIDI with the ST.

You are better with the mono hi res Atari monitor (640*400 72 Hz), but you can use a TV or any monitor with peritel/scart cable/50/60 Hz in Medium and Low Res. (640*200,320*200)
But if you use Cubase or any tool meant to work in Hi res it won't work, unless you need use little ST tool that emulate the mono display (you can scroll the screen vertically) , can't remember it's name. =] That's what I did back!
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camembert ➡️
Buggy boy?
Buggy Boy!!
That's the one.
You Superstar!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide ➡️

Buggy Boy my friend... The game was called Buggy Boy!

I remember those days. I really wanted an ST but managed to get a Commodore Amiga instead and bought a midi interface with Music X, Roland JV30 and the love affair with sounds began. Not sure I'd shelf the Mac Pro now though and dig out the old Amiga again. It was good but... Not that good.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
There are folks using the Amiga hardware for sound synthesis still: chip tunes I guess. You can buy interfaces and slot 1-4 of the sound chips into them, then run them from a standard midi keyboard. Commodore was WAY ahead of the curve with that machine.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I had a friend who did some great stuff with the Amiga.
It also had perhaps the greatest game of all time "Deluxe Galaga"
There is now a PC version of it called "Warblade" which is awesome.
I don't really play games at all now, except for this one.

Warblade - the classic arcade shoot'em up game! Home of Warblade - Deluxe Galaga - Deluxe Pacman
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Buggy boy?
wow!!!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Atari Falcon is a very good option imo. Not so "retro" but better than the st family.

S
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Try to get a STe instead the STf.
-You can read/write disk & swap between PC and the ST without any tools. -The memory slot is always a SIMM connector on the STe. So you can put 8 or 9 bit RAM in 30 pins SIMM. Old STf can be SIPP, and can be wired too. You can easy find memory on Ebay, 4 Mo for few bucks. Four modules of 1 Mo 9 bit 30 pins- 1Mox9 or 1Mox3 (with 3 or 9 chips) 60,70,80 ns.
-The blitter speed up the screen display.

You can use ANY hardware that use MIDI with the ST.

You are better with the mono hi res Atari monitor (640*400 72 Hz), but you can use a TV or any monitor with peritel/scart cable/50/60 Hz in Medium and Low Res. (640*200,320*200)
But if you use Cubase or any tool meant to work in Hi res it won't work, unless you need use little ST tool that emulate the mono display (you can scroll the screen vertically) , can't remember it's name. =] That's what I did back!
cheers, i'll look around for ste models. it would be great if there were retro computing shops in the city where I could see and test one, looks like my best chance is the classifieds/ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago... ➡️
Atari Falcon is a very good option imo. Not so "retro" but better than the st family.

S
I had a look at the falcon, its out of my price range from what I have seen in the s/h market.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This may be of some interest to you :

Atari 520 1040 STE ST VGA high resolution monitor adaptor cubase Notator midi | eBay
📝 Reply