Quantcast
Shoegaze Gear - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shoegaze Gear
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've recently re-discovered Shoegaze (back in the late '80s / early '90s I listened to it a lot - although I don't remember it being called Shoegaze but "Indie") and I'm trying to reproduce that sound today.

I think the main components are chorus, reverb and delay. And distortion / fuzz.

These effects can of course reproduced with any processor (hardware or software), but I wanted to offer my recollections from those years and from some research I'm doing:
  • I remember that the Boss pedals were popular all through the '80s. I would think a lot of those sounds can be achieved with Boss chorus, delay and distortion.
  • Another processor with that sound was the Midiverb series, cheap way to get good reverb in the '80s - I, II, or III (the IV came later, IIRC)
  • I read an interview with Chapterhouse that they used a Quadraverb GT
  • I read another interview with My Bloody Valentine that mentioned the Midiverb II or III, and SPX90
  • I read an interview with (can't remember which band, might have been Ride) that mentioned the use of FX500 "Soft Focus" patch
  • Cocteau Twins have supposedly used Eventide reverb (the original one) Owning an H3000 with a similar reverb flavor, I tend to agree
  • Anything with lush, modulated reverb, e.g. '80s Lexicons, Eventide, AMS

and of course, today there are sooo many multi-FX processors, that I think with just a little bit of tweaking one can get those sounds from something even expensive like a small Zoom multi-FX.

-
📝 Reply