Quantcast
I'm on a mission! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I'm on a mission!
Old 8th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm on a mission!

I've decided what my mission in life is... Well not exactly, but here goes: I'm going to set out to buy as many old/vintage instruments, particularly synths or just audio crap that I can for as cheap as I can find itβ€”even reel to reel tape decks and things of the such. I've heard that thrift stores are a good place to start. Does anyone know any good thrift stores in LA or San Bernardino that are known for good finds in the audio world?
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You want to open a museum?
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

your going to be pretty hard pressed to find any good deals at thrift stores these days. especially well populated areas such as the ones you mention.

but everything is possible i suppose.
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Garage sales might be something for you to check out. You never know what you might find lurking next to an old lawn mower or broken fridge. Good luck!
Old 10th September 2012
Eat
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
got a teac 3440 sitting in the closet for 20 years. the belts have turned to dust no doubt but its mint almost like new cosmetically. not sure what 20 years does to electronics tho'
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
In twenty years we will all watch the episode of Hoarders you star in.

D
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Craigslist is worth a look. Be selective and take a close look/listen before plunking down the cash.
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I guess the question would be why, but in the interim, I'm sure you're already finding out that you're 20 years too late. With the internet and ebay, even the most ignorant of audio can find out they hold a gem.

Best bet? Yard sales, where people don't care enough to check - they're just clearing out their parent's garages.... Pawn shops, music stores, thrift stores, etc. are all too saavy at this point in time. Worse! They may want top dollar for a dismally worked over POS - but they don't know it because they know nothing about audio. Only how to check closed listings on ebay.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Skip the yard sales and thrift stores.

There is a guy selling vintage equipment on ebay dirt cheap. look for the flower pots in the background. get it before it's gone.
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Oh yeah, that FLOWER POT GUY !!!

Man, what a joke that dude's prices are; and the sad thing is that he probably preys on the naive ones out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➑️
Skip the yard sales and thrift stores.

There is a guy selling vintage equipment on ebay dirt cheap. look for the flower pots in the background. get it before it's gone.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Man, I would say you can aim higher! haha

Sounds like a huge waste of money, time and space. I understand a few key things but as much stuff/junk (my words, not yours) as possible sounds like a nightmare. Specially when you decide you want to move and you throw half of it away.

Snare drums on the other hand... now I am a believer in that.

My 2 cents.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo ➑️
Snare drums on the other hand... now I am a believer in that.

My 2 cents.
OK Dan.....fess up. How many? I have a buddy with close to a hundred now... But he's an addict.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Don't discourage the guy. He sounds young and we have to have a market to move all the overpriced vintage gear we own when it's time to retire... Gotta encourage the new collectors.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 ➑️
Oh yeah, that FLOWER POT GUY !!!

Man, what a joke that dude's prices are; and the sad thing is that he probably preys on the naive ones out there.

When I saw that "store" I sent them an email that basically said, "Dear TURD, On behalf of all artists that are seeking to acquire gear, I would like to thank you for inflating it's value and making it less attainable. p.s. EFF'OFF." I've tried negotiate many deals with people from Craigslist postings (btw it's a shame craigslist blocks jaxed) where they'll say/reference, "There's one on ebay right now for $700." And I'm like, "Do you want to wait for a year and see if some dummy comes along?" Or, "Oh, you mean the one that is in mint condition."

Doesn't it bug you that there is so much amazing gear out there that doesn't get used? It drives me nuts when I think about it. Way too rare to come across someone who says, "I just want it to have a home where it will be used and appreciated."
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➑️
OK Dan.....fess up. How many? I have a buddy with close to a hundred now... But he's an addict.
I have 20 or so. If I desire something different I usually just go make it at the shop. Its honestly not a big collection. I am sure many guys here on GS have more then that. I also have a friend who has been a serious collector for decades. He has 2 warehouses full of drums. Most of it very rare stuff. Its an amazing collection and all great condition. He brings stuff into the shop every now and then just to show us stuff. Crazy
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo ➑️
I have 20 or so. If I desire something different I usually just go make it at the shop. Its honestly not a big collection. I am sure many guys here on GS have more then that. I also have a friend who has been a serious collector for decades. He has 2 warehouses full of drums. Most of it very rare stuff. Its an amazing collection and all great condition. He brings stuff into the shop every now and then just to show us stuff. Crazy
Very cool!!!
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Check out radio and TV stations that might want to dump old gear in case they update their studios. Smaller cities, better luck.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…