Quantcast
How to connect compressor to mic preamp? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to connect compressor to mic preamp?
Old 8th September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
How to connect compressor to mic preamp?

Hi,

first of all, I want to apologize for my bad English, but as a "Kraut" it's not always so easy to deal with the English grammar.

Just a simple question: I've a Golden Age Project PRE-73 and want to buy a FMR Audio RNC 1773 compressor. So far, so good, but how can I connect these two devices with each other? The PRE-73 has an sidechain insert jack, is it possible to loop the FMR compressor by this jack in the preamp?

Which cable do I need? Is a Y-cable the way to go? The one end with the two 1/4" connectors in the "in" respectively "out" from the compressor, the other end with the single plug in the sidechain insert from the preamp?

I'm a bit confused

Thx and best regards
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by orator โžก๏ธ
Hi,

first of all, I want to apologize for my bad English, but as a "Kraut" it's not always so easy to deal with the English grammar.

Just a simple question: I've a Golden Age Project PRE-73 and want to buy a FMR Audio RNC 1773 compressor. So far, so good, but how can I connect these two devices with each other? The PRE-73 has an sidechain insert jack, is it possible to loop the FMR compressor by this jack in the preamp?

Which cable do I need? Is a Y-cable the way to go? The one end with the two 1/4" connectors in the "in" respectively "out" from the compressor, the other end with the single plug in the sidechain insert from the preamp?

I'm a bit confused

Thx and best regards
Yep get an insert cable. Stereo jack on one side and ring and tip on a y on the other side

Or you could just run out of the pre into the comp... I have both and use a patchbay instead
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Connect a 1/4" to 1/4" mono cable from the "GAP Pre 73 output" to the "FMR RNC left in". Then connect 1/4" to 1/4" mono cable from the "FMR RNC left out" to your audio interface (or whatever). You use 1/4" mono cables because the FMR has only unbalanced connectors.

As far as I can tell the GAP Pre73 does not have a sidechain insert jack (there is no need for a preamp to have a sidechain). The GAP Pre73 Mk II does have an insert jack (which is different to a sidechain). In this case an insert cable (which looks like a Y cable) into the insert jack on the GAP Pre73 with the other ends connected to the FMR RNC left in and FMR RNC left out will achieve the desired result.

The sidechain is used by a compessor to control the action of the compressor by a separate audio signal. Normally the compressor will act based on the input, by using a sidechain you can use a separate signal (which is not sent to the output of the compressor) to control the compressor. For your purposes you would be unlikely to need to use the sidechain of the compressor.

Last edited by anthonythecat; 8th September 2012 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: rechecked the diff between MkI and MkII GAP Pre 73.
Old 8th September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Okay, thank you very much for your responses.
Is there any difference in quality, etc. between the solution with the insert jack on the preamp and the direct connection via a mono 1/4" cable from the compressor to the interface?
What makes more sense?

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface.
Is it a line signal which is sent by the compressors outputs? Most likely so I not have to set the input switch to "instrument" on the interface?

Thx
Old 8th September 2012
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
It's specific to the RNC so you won't be able to do it with other comps, but you can run a single 1/4" TRS cable from the insert point to the Left in of the RNC, and it will carry both the in and out signals. Make sure that the two are wired correctly, though. Some single-point inserts are wired differently (send/return)
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Since the RNC is unbalanced in/out.

Using it inserted on the pre73 is the best option. Then connect pre73 using XLR to TRS cable into 212 and select LINE level. This way your signal is balanced from the pre to the interface.

(TRS inserted into 212 will reduce/attenuate signal to accept line level) XLR into 212 is for mic level not line level.
๐Ÿ“ Reply