🎧 10 years
bump

looks very interesting, any users ?
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
its modelled after the legendary LS3/5A

has anyone heard / got / used this in a studio context ?

cheers
Old 23rd February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
FOR ME these are simply the most fast, accurate, beautiful sounding monitors i've ever heard !

BE CAREFUL to place it well on a heavy stand and use with a high current/damping/complex charge capable amplifier (like a D class Hypex Ncore NC400 for example)

AND the result will be stunning: well balanced, neutral , no phase shift, accurate and deep low end, realistic high end,very sharp sound staging and holographic 3D effect.

the LS50 is complex to drive, so with a poor amp you'll have poor results...

the price is a joke for this quality but keep in mind that if you add good amplifiers and cables, you'll be next to 3500$ .

BUT These are world class monitors, really! (and i'm not working for kef!!!)

(had genelec 8040A, adam A8X, dynaudio BM5A,Focal Solo 6 and i've sold them all...)
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The LS50 are indeed great monitors! Kudos to Kef for building them this way..
I didn't mix on them yet..I bought them for home use.. I was very impressed! heh

For the price it's a no brainer.. as the previous poster said above.. well balanced, detailed..and they have quite a huge bottom for that size. Very well built IMO, good components..
Just pair them with a good amp (with some power), they're not very sensitive..85db/v

I think I'll have no problems mixing on them (I just dunno how "revealing" they are).. If I try them in the studio, I'll report back.

Also I bought the R900 from Kef.. fantastic loudspeakers.. Very ballsy and detailed.. They sound great!

Kef competitors have to work really hard to come up with something that could be on par.. I've recently also listened to the new Tannoy's precision 6.4..
Very nice loudspeakers as well..a little bit more punchy/aggressive in the high/mids, but the sound is great and the finish is absolutely stunning. I preferred the R900 though (probably subjective).

Cheu
Old 28th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Imho The ls50 is far more neutral than the R300
I've compared them with the Kef R series and the R are more "hifi" , thus flatering , even if they are good speakers indeed.
I've done (with my ls50) few pop/ rock/ electro mixes with very nice success .
I really love them !
I've compared them too with some sterling l3/5a reissues , and they are much more usable , especially in the low end, even if the sterling have very great mids/high end.
They are very dynamic/ well balanced but count 250h of break in !
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Now you made me really curious! I have separate tracking and mixing rooms (in different areas of the town), and I was leaning towards the 8" prodipe ribbons for tracking. Now those KEF's come along...

As for the amp ("complex to drive" says granger.frederic): do they need sheer clean power or rather a certain slew rate/impulse/velocity character?
Old 3rd March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
imho the ls50 are far better speakers than all the prodipe, in fact not even in the same league.
you need an amp with min 100w RMS and with a big current capacity (like a good class d amp: bel canto,rotel rb1572,micromega...)
i use a hypex ncore nc400 class d amp, with a very good result.
read all the reviews about the ls50 on the web , they're all right ...
these are fabulous speakers:
-very large and deep soundstage
-acurate
-super fast transients
-very well balanced
-usable low end
i'm actually in heaven with these monitors ( i repeat that i'm not working for KEF ...)
PS:i mix all kind of music on them and it's a big pleasure
Old 1st April 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
How do they compare to the Dynaudio BM5A MKII?
Old 1st April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I heard them a few weeks back - was not particularly impressed to be honest. I mean, very musical and good for affordable hifi speakers, but definitely not what I'd call 'honest'. Significant port contribution/lag was the main issue I heard...

I also can't see how they can possibly be modelled on the LS3/5A. Different drivers, different box size, not sealed but ported, coaxial design, different crossover. What is the same? Nothing. The whole 'based on the LS3/5A' thing is marketing nonsense.
Old 1st April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here are some anechoic measurements:

SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com - NRC Measurements: KEF LS50 Loudspeakers

Not hugely impressed myself.

Drops at 12dB/oct below 100Hz and produces 10% THD there at 90dBspl. 1.5 - 5kHz is about 5dB too hot.
Old 2nd April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. ➑️
Here are some anechoic measurements:

SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com - NRC Measurements: KEF LS50 Loudspeakers

Not hugely impressed myself.

Drops at 12dB/oct below 100Hz and produces 10% THD there at 90dBspl. 1.5 - 5kHz is about 5dB too hot.
That's what I heard - very congested and muddy sounding low-end/lower-mids, and ragged midband. They cost a lot more than I thought as well... You can buy a pair of ATCs for that money.
Old 2nd April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
****, I had no idea how much they cost!

I thought they were around Β£300 the pair and even for that money I'd give them a miss.

granger.frederic is right: The price is a joke, it is way too high!
Mind you I wouldn't touch LS3/5s with a ten foot pole either.
Old 27th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
"very congested and muddy sounding low-end/lower-mids, and ragged midband"
"cost too much"

i can't believe that we're talking about the same monitors...
but it depends A LOT on the amplifier quality (like ns10s...) and some various results could be expected as i said before.
about the port ,it's for me the quietest port i haven't heard in a loudspeaker,period.
the frequency plots that you could find on the web are not reliable as they are room dependent ,and there is a plot far more linear in a french review called stereo prestige.
Look at all the awards that they win,it's quite impressive.(victim of his success: out of stock for few month in france actually)

and a little advice: don't look only at the frequency plot it's only one parameter and it's not critical.
and even a perfectly flat monitor is in real life/in your room, is hugely irregular.
it's a match between monitor/room treatment.
i've heard so many sayings linear monitors which are unusable for professional mix.(phase/sound staging...)

don't be afraid to go to hifi/audiophile shops to listen to the LS50.They usually are paired with better stuff (amps/cables...), and STOP with that: a Good Speaker is a Good Speaker, no matter if it's HIFI or PRO.
IT's just usable or not.

you'd better look at : http://www.kefamerica.com/july12/LS5...te%20Paper.pdf
and see what i talk about

cheers
Fred
Old 27th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The plots I linked to were done independently by the National Research Council of Canada in an anechoic chamber.

You linked to some KEF marketing blurb.

I know who I put more trust in. Do you?
Old 27th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Dear O.F.F

Look at my posts....

You can find the Stereo Prestige review of the LS50 with some very accurate measurements...

Sorry if you don't speak French : Use REVERSO ....
Old 27th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
i would not choose or refuse speakers on measurements. just because one is flatter does not mean it has less fidelity. jbl had a nearly flat speaker once, it did not sound good. i forget the model..
Old 27th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
that's what i say
Old 27th January 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
wow, strange to see such widely different opinions of the KEF LS50 speakers, I've had mine for about 6 months powered by a Rotel RA12 amp, really impressed with them, a big upgrade from the Q300's I had before - they tell you exactly how the engineer in the studio mixed the track, warts and all.
Old 27th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffyslayer ➑️
wow, strange to see such widely different opinions of the KEF LS50 speakers, I've had mine for about 6 months powered by a Rotel RA12 amp, really impressed with them, a big upgrade from the Q300's I had before - they tell you exactly how the engineer in the studio mixed the track, warts and all.
The post saying they're modeled after the LS3/5a… they're not at all. If that's what you want, you want the first-generation KEF 101's from the mid-late 70's. Great speakers, much better than the LS50 at a fraction of the price.
Old 25th February 2015
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
just heard these today. fantastic. thinking about buying them for my home setup. have previously used standard low to mid levels like dynaudio, mackie, pro ac. beats them all by a long shot imo
Old 4th May 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Touch of marmite about LS50s then? I just heard a new pair of actives, on stands: impressive, powerful, and detailed... but on female voice - a BBC studio newsreader - astonishingly prominent upper-mid resonance. Like a jug. I remember ancient LS5 at BBC would repro male and female voice with almost complete believability. Not so these, nor any modern mini-wonder heard so far. I wonder if designers/reviewers overlook plain voice in listening tests? At what size and price does true realism kick in?
Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
According to reviewers who use voice as a part of their tests Neumann, Gethain and a few others have been recommended for accurate reproduction.
πŸ“ Reply