The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SM57 ...overrated?
Old 21st December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz ➡️
This.

And I honestly can't think of another mic for less than double the price that can do the same job on such a wide range of applications.

I honestly think I'd be entirely comfortable recording an entire album with nothing but 57's.
I think Daniel Linois did record a record using only 57s.
Old 21st December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It's alright if you want a quick handheld vocal, rather than messing around with some troublesome condensor, sits quite well really
Old 22nd December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loaf ➡️
It's alright if you want a quick handheld vocal, rather than messing around with some troublesome condensor, sits quite well really
Well said, Mick Jagger.
Old 22nd December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
thanks!
Old 23rd December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

On the other hand.
Maybe the only things left, after the Nuclear Apocalypse will be...
Cockroaches, 57's, and Keith Richards (sorry Mick).

My two "least trustworthy" vocal mics IMHO opinion, are my 58 (well it's almost a 57) and AKG 200.

Meaning, that I expect to do much poking and prodding.
AKA "Processing" them into Sonic Obedience.
Chris
P.S. Did you hear the latest about Mick and Keith? Sure enough, Keith got caught hacking Mick's computer.
Mick had to tell him,... "Hey you" "Get off of my Cloud!"
Old 15th February 2022
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'm always surprised how well an SM57 does on a guitar cabinet. And the odd vocals every now and again (mostly certain types of rock) And on some drums here and there for a cheap man's mic on a kit.

All in all, I've spent 10x the amount on much less useful microphones. IF the SM57 cost $500 you'd go, "Yeah, thats about right" and if it cost $1000 you'd go "A tad expensive but dang, I like it better than the Royer 121".

I think b/c it's so cheap, it's underestimated by many.
Old 15th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Its fine that you like it more than a royer 121.
I do like the Royer more.
Its always tast.
Old 4th April 2022
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBeer ➡️
I record mostly acoustic instruments and vocals. BUT, per building my mic locker, I picked up a couple SM57's because EVERYONE said you need to have at least a couple.

Now, I realize that they are the staple for recording electric guitar amps and even have their place on acoustics in a live scenario. However, I've got to say. 1) the noise level on them (at least the new ones) are HUGE. When compared to bringing the levels up to match other mics. I do understand that their use is normally in front of high volume instruments, however, the other thing I noticed is that the quality is SO low that everyone sounds very different from one another. So, when people say "use an SM57"...it's seems a bit misleading to me as, they're just not consistent. Sure, I can use them and get a descent sound...not a problem. But it just seems like there are better choices out there for the same $$.No?

I'd be interested in hearing others thoughts on my particular observation.
Yes, IMHO, overrated. Inexpensive? Yes. Durable? YES. Decent? Sure.. Great on a snare? Not so much..
Old 4th April 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by db9091 ➡️
I'm always surprised how well an SM57 does on a guitar cabinet. And the odd vocals every now and again (mostly certain types of rock) And on some drums here and there for a cheap man's mic on a kit.

All in all, I've spent 10x the amount on much less useful microphones. IF the SM57 cost $500 you'd go, "Yeah, thats about right" and if it cost $1000 you'd go "A tad expensive but dang, I like it better than the Royer 121".

I think b/c it's so cheap, it's underestimated by many.
I agree with you that the best I have heard a 57 sound is on a guitar cab.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 57 was introduced circa 1967. Round figures 55 years ago. That is ignoring its 565 etc predecessors. Before we start writing about it being over rated, let us see if it has staying power in the marketplace.
Old 4th April 2022
Lives for gear
Some of the best snare sounds ever have been recorded with a 57. Bob Clearmountain anyone? If you can't get a great snare sound with it, that's on you. Do I use it on snare anymore? No, but I'd be fine with it. Funny how so many love a snare sound until they learn it was recorded with a 57. Sure, it's fine if you have a distaste for it in your own applications, but all those great recordings made don't mirror your experience. You'd be surprised what was recorded with a 57. I got some acoustic guitar tracks recently that were recorded with an AT condenser and a 57. Blended 50/50 together, they sound great in the mix, surprisingly. Of course I'm personally beyond brand names and hype. If it sounds good, it is good. To me.
Old 4th April 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Why bringing this silly 2012 thread back to life?
Let's put it this way: whether anyone likes it or not, any audio product that is considered as "an industry standard" IS NEVER OVERRATED. It is what it is and it does what it does when you know how to use it.
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
On the other hand.
Maybe the only things left, after the Nuclear Apocalypse will be...
Cockroaches, 57's, and Keith Richards (sorry Mick).
I think the Queen will still be bumping around. (Sorry Charles).
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by numero6 ➡️
Why bringing this silly 2012 thread back to life?
Because praising and panning the SM57 is like painting the Golden Gate Bridge. When it's all said and done, you have to back start at the beginning.
Old 4th April 2022
Deleted 603ad98
57 overrated?
Nah, I don't think so. I find them to be excellent for hitting drummers that won't stop playing while a guitarist tunes. I also prefer them to other mics when I need to hit a mic stand's clutch loose after being tightened too much. Once it was perfect as an equalizer in a fight.

So I always have one or two around - for when nothing else works.
Old 5th April 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
I think the Queen will still be bumping around. (Sorry Charles).
"She's one baaaadddd Mother"
"Shut your mouth!".

Chris
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
The 57 was introduced circa 1967. Round figures 55 years ago. That is ignoring its 565 etc predecessors. Before we start writing about it being over rated, let us see if it has staying power in the marketplace.
I may not use them as much as I used to but they are certainly an industry standard if not then to compare other mics to.
The 57 Beta has major spec improvements over the standard '57.
Lives for gear
Older ones are great, newer ones are not.
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by momomel ➡️
That's because everything old is better than anything new.
Old 5th April 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
What's the best new dynamic mic akin to old 57s?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom ➡️
What's the best new dynamic mic akin to old 57s?
A newly made Shure SM57.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️
A newly made Shure SM57.
Upvoted for joke. Thanks reddit.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom ➡️
Upvoted for joke. Thanks reddit.
Not a joke at all.

Plenty of other dynamic mics you can buy if you want less proximity effect, better highs, less 5k-6k presence boost, ect, ect...

If you want something that sounds like a 57 the answer would be a 57.

If you want your 57 to sound "vintage" (I'd just call it proper but people love the word vintage) plug it into a 1073 type micpre and punch the 300 ohm button, whether it's an old worn out, spit encrusted, beaten up USA one or a brand new Mexican one.
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
That's because everything old is better than anything new.
It is uncool to dig the SM57. But if it's an old SM57, that's a "save".

in much the same way that in the 1960's it was uncool for jazz musicians to play an electric bass guitar, but if it was a Fender Bass, that was the "save".
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️
Not a joke at all.

Plenty of other dynamic mics you can buy if you want less proximity effect, better highs, less 5k-6k presence boost, ect, ect...

If you want something that sounds like a 57 the answer would be a 57.

If you want your 57 to sound "vintage" (I'd just call it proper but people love the word vintage) plug it into a 1073 type micpre and punch the 300 ohm button, whether it's an old worn out, spit encrusted, beaten up USA one or a brand new Mexican one.
Or into a Launcher.
(Haven't tried the Tierra's yet)
Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by momomel ➡️
Face it, you just like the sound of years of caked-on capsule spit.
Old 6th April 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can't find my other SM57 rants. So here goes again.

I had four SM57's from early 90's for 20 years. No issues. Then I was able to get a set of four U3 versions (Unidyne III on them). Each was a different weight, the heaviest almost twice the weight of a new one. The quality of the sound was in proportion to the weight in just about every case. The heavier ones sounded better. I don't much like the new ones vs the old ones. When used for toms, I use the heaviest on the largest one and on up.

It does two things really well. It rejects sound not right in front of it well. And it captures fast transients in the mid range better than most moving coils. All for a low price.
Old 6th April 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I pulled the transformer out of one of my 57s 15 years ago or so. In all of that time, I have yet to find a mic that I like better on rock snare, and I've tried a few. The Sennheiser 541 comes pretty close.
Old 12th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopysnorp ➡️
I pulled the transformer out of one of my 57s 15 years ago or so. In all of that time, I have yet to find a mic that I like better on rock snare, and I've tried a few. The Sennheiser 541 comes pretty close.
I put in a AMI transformer instead and it sounds great. Much wider and flatter frequency response.

I also dig the unmodded 57 as well.
Old 12th August 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
How about GS set up some kind of „sticky“, listing all the tried-and-true, standard tools, with one or two descriptive sentences?
„SM57: affordable, always useful, rarely the best option, never really bad. See also: Xformer mods, Unidyne.“
„Neve 1073: one of two highly regarded mic preamp standards. See also: hype, API“
Could free up a lot of diskspace and bandwidth.
Jes‘ sayin‘...
📝 Reply