The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SM57 ...overrated?
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
overrated?

here is a mic that costs less than $100
you plug it in and sound comes out the wire.

are we so starved for controversy?
Seriously.

What a monumental waste of time/energy/bandwidth. Troll city.
GS is appalling lately.
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Didn't really read more than the first couple posts but wanted to contribute to the public record.

I'm really surprised at how useful a 57 is through a UA 610 on vocals.

I had a great singer in a while back and I tried a bunch of usual suspects on her voice. None of them sounded right. I tried playing with position, spots in room, preamps, blah blah and I couldn't get it RIGHT.

In a fury of "what the hell is wrong with my instinct" self hatred madness I pulled the 57 out. Really, I just didn't want to appear stumped in front of anybody. Had to keep looking busy while I thought about what I could do to salvage this moment.

I put it up and there it was. A cool rock and roll vocal sitting beautifully in a mix. Obviously a touch of all buttons 1176 helps but I was blown away at how quality it made her voice sound. Surely it couldn't be that good of a mic.

Well, out of curiosity I'd pull it out for other singers and while it doesn't usually get picked I'm still amazed when I hear it. It's not that any mic would sound wrong; it's that the 57 sounded RIGHT!

I'm firmly in the land of believers now. Every mic has it's magic and you merely have to find the places to use it. It's not a sacred "prometheus brought it from heaven" holy grail but it is pretty kick ass.

A good baseball bat ain't gonna help you golf.
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I finally got my SM57 a week ago.

I record Hip/Hop and spoken word mostly. I normally use an AKG Perception 120 mic. Not a bad mic at all. I like it. Gives me a good clean recording. I run it into my Echo Audiofire4 interface and get a clean recording.

I recently got an SM57. I paired it with my Studio Projects VTB1. I must say.... I started as using it just as my control room/talkback mic, and right away... i'm seriously impressed with 1) the clarity, but 2) how it only picks up the sound you're pointing it at. It didn't pick up ANY of my computer noise (I have it phycially placed on the table actually above the computer. There is ZERO noise getting into this mic other than where i point it.

Not only that.... but as a talkback mic... I can turn of the gain on my preamp, point the SM57 at me, and it picks up my voice just fine, with perfect gain, without me having to lean forward to talk to the person i nthe booth.

Needless to say... i did a few verses now w/ the Sm and the soudn is awesome... i'm actually impressed by how it sounds. It's the "right sound" that I wanted, without spending tons of money. I think i'm starting to prefer it over my AKG.
Old 1st October 2012
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I like the N/D767a more than the sm58/sm57. sm58 was my first mic five years ago but after years of audio recording i realized i was scammed. honkey nasal garbage mics, lol. broadcasting mics like the re20 are the best though. consistent sound is what i need for commentaries in a noisy environment. but i prefer condensers when i can. i got a re27 and re20 and my favorite handheld is the nd767a like i said. why get a muddy bassy piece of crap when you can get a crisp clear no proximity effect sound from the more modern mics? 900 evolution series is good too. only shure i kind of like is the sm7b but i prefer the re20 over it. im not a electro voice fanboy i jsutl ike a fair amount of detail and no proximity effect. ev does that the best.
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
EV baby!
10/11/15/16/18/20

Excellent. Every single one.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix ➡️
I finally got my SM57 a week ago.

I record Hip/Hop and spoken word mostly. I normally use an AKG Perception 120 mic. Not a bad mic at all. I like it. Gives me a good clean recording. I run it into my Echo Audiofire4 interface and get a clean recording.

I recently got an SM57. I paired it with my Studio Projects VTB1. I must say.... I started as using it just as my control room/talkback mic, and right away... i'm seriously impressed with 1) the clarity, but 2) how it only picks up the sound you're pointing it at. It didn't pick up ANY of my computer noise (I have it phycially placed on the table actually above the computer. There is ZERO noise getting into this mic other than where i point it.

Not only that.... but as a talkback mic... I can turn of the gain on my preamp, point the SM57 at me, and it picks up my voice just fine, with perfect gain, without me having to lean forward to talk to the person i nthe booth.

Needless to say... i did a few verses now w/ the Sm and the soudn is awesome... i'm actually impressed by how it sounds. It's the "right sound" that I wanted, without spending tons of money. I think i'm starting to prefer it over my AKG.
Good for you man.

Yeah, that's why that mic is still being made, and is probably the best selling mic of all time.

Over rated?

IMHO, it's the SM7 that is over rated (hyped on the internet), even though both are kinda similar when it comes down to it. The SM57 just works on a lot of stuff. More so than the SM7 for me.

I have a boat load of dynamics, and have used quite a few throughout my life. I still grab the 57 for snare and gtr cabs all the time. Nothing else like it out there. Until I find something better, it's what I will continue to use on a daily basis.

One thing I will say, is if you really like the sm57, check out an m201 too. You will like it just as much. You will probably never sell either. Both have their place, 57 has more cut, the 201 is a little more hi-fi and flat when you want that, but with a lot of the same qualities of the 57 you just spoke of.

Glad you found something you dig
john
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
A Sennheiser 421 preferably the old white ones...will trounce my 57 or even my Sm7 and also the E409 in the dynamics locker on drums or guitar or percussion. But I'm more of a Ribbon and Condenser guy most of the time. Even then if your doing a sweetner/color part against tracks recorded with those ribbons and condensers the dynamic route is a very good option.
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't think it's overrated at all, a go-to and consistent performer for loud sources. AB it with lots of others on the same source and it rarely every performs the worst of a bunch of microphones. For live sound and quick recording jobs, having mics that perform consistently across a variety of sources is sometimes far more useful than having the best mic for the job... somewhere... in the mic cupboard..... in the box at the back, under the broken male-male XLRs...
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

The SM57 is basically a 58 without a windscreen and perfect for just about everything. Tom Petty used a 57 live, not sure about studio. His voice was perfect for the mic. Mic'ing drums and guitar amps is also in the 57's wheelhouse. Great mic for $100 or less these days.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjnugent ➡️
The SM57 is basically a 58 without a windscreen and perfect for just about everything. Tom Petty used a 57 live, not sure about studio. His voice was perfect for the mic. Mic'ing drums and guitar amps is also in the 57's wheelhouse. Great mic for $100 or less these days.
Petty used one until he was convinced by Robert Scovill to try the Neumann KMS 105.

As to the 57 in general. There are SOOOOOOO many mics that sound better, even in it's price range.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
That mic sounds like 1990. Not my first choice, or second
📝 Reply