The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lexikon mpx110, Lxp-1, Roland Srv330, Yamaha R3?
Old 4th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lexikon mpx110, Lxp-1, Roland Srv330, Yamaha R3?

Hi all,
Do you think the above units are comparable?
I'm looking for a cheap used reverb solution and have heard good things about all of them.

Do you think it really makes any sense to get one of these units or are they comparable to stock Cubase 6.5 reverbs? I'd imagine they have more character....?

Thanks!!
Old 4th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The Lexicon MPX110 and LXP1 sound completely different to me (and I've owned both). I love the LXP1 (and LXP5), ditched the MPX110 long ago. To me, though, these are more about OTB vs ITB mixing approaches. If you want to work OTB, an old LXP1 is a great way to cheap, good hardware reverb. But if you just want a budget solution, buy a good plug-in instead. The ValhallaRoom plug-in is only $50 and has that old-school algorithmic reverb feel, AND you can put it on as many channels as you like, not just one!
Old 5th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hi thanks! Yes it is essentially a OTB v ITB question. I suppose stick cubase reverb is good but very clean. So I was wondering if putting an outboard box would help get die better reverb. Do you really think is pointless and can get aay with good plugibs, unless perhaps going for high quality expensive equipment (PCM 70, 90 and the like?

Why to ditched mpx110? Have you had a Mpx 1 ??

Thanks
Old 5th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I don't think outboards have better reverb than ITB, particularly cheaper/older hardware. However, they do have a variety of algorithms and approaches, which all sound different. OTB requires a whole philosophy of mixing and a lot of wiring. Honestly, I'm getting myself set up to go back in that direction myself, but for reasons of process, not sound.

As for the MPX110... I have an LXP1, two LXP5s, and a couple of LXP15s that I don't even use. All of them sound better. And the MPX110 isn't very programmable.
Old 5th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yes, I realise that otb will require a different mixing approach.
Might I ask if not for sound, why are you moving otb?? Isn't it much more time consuming to mix? Or are you doing it to "listen" or approach the mix differently?

As for reverbs, if you say older boxes are not better, what is for you their appeal? Just different sounding algorithms?

Thanks
Old 5th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I want to go OTB not for sound or for "efficiency", but for intellectual clarity. Knobs are more intuitive than mice. And I find it useful to be locked into decisions.
Old 5th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
...excellent way of putting it!!
I'm beginning to feel also the "intellectual clarity" problem. Endless possibilities are quite exhausting... On the ears at least.

So you'd definitely recommend Valhalla rev plugin over mid of the range boxes.
Is the Valhalla actually that much better than stock cubase reverbs?
Old 5th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
lxp1 sounds better than a pcm 70 of course not nearly as configurable even with mrc lxp is perhaps the best reverb under 1000 (excluding h3000)
and you can get them for $100

lxp 5 is great too. Nice and thick delays, chorus and a mean pitch shifter
Old 6th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I also heard only good about lxp1

Now the big question: compared to the above gear, how is Valhalla room plugin?
Old 6th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I don't know about the Cubase reverbs, but I really like ValhallaRoom. It has many of the same qualities I like about Lexicon hardware reverbs. For $50, it's a bargain. Download the demo and try it!
Old 6th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop ➑️
I also heard only good about lxp1

Now the big question: compared to the above gear, how is Valhalla room plugin?
lexicon lxp is better than Valhalla room
but of course Valhalla works on unlimited tracks so it has its advantages.

IMHO Valhalla room is just ok compared to other plugins The best reverb plugin is IR1 or relab for lexicon type sound
also SSL xverb is really good. Another great verb plugin is Variverb

for its typical used prices lxp is hands down the best reverb
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I have a lxp1 and have a/b it with the vahallaroom. Very close. The lxp1 has a nice sense of stereo spread. They both have a nice "sound from behind the speakers" feel.
Like 80's janet jackson type reverbs on drums. The vahallaroom is maybe cleaner and not as "dirty" sounding.

I do agree with the decision making process when using outboard. I plug the lxp1 in and patch it to the track and basically start twidling knobs till i like something and basically print that output to a new track to have it etched in stone. It sort of like tuning drums. You want to record them right after you tune them cuz tomorrow they will not sound the same as you remembered it.

In comparing them the average person may not hear the difference essentially and vahallaroom does the darker lxp1 type reverb more than some other plugin reverbs i've tried. Just know it's an old unit. The best way to get full use of it is with the mrc slider unit or with something that can send midi to it or a midi program. The controls thru midi offer more parameters than the front knobs. It is certainly not a "light fluffy" reverb and is thick. It does blend with the dry sound very well and maybe better than alot of reverb plugs. This has an effect of pulling the dry sound apart from the mix in a cool way and the reverb can make the sound seem like it's coming from behind my speakers.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
In response to the OP. I own the mpx and the Yamaha R3 and have used on occasion the roland verb. Lexicons usally have a distinct Lexicon sound. Most people like it, some dont. The mpx is not their best version but still has that Lexicon sound. The Yamaha is one of my all time favs. Its smooth and almost invisible to my ears. The roland unit I remember as being very, very good but I was at another studio and dont remember any particulars. I would rate all of the units you mentioned as pro gear. Just use your ear and choose the one that sounds best to you. Or at todays prices why not buy them all?
πŸ“ Reply