The best setup for 2000$ ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The best setup for 2000$ ?
Old 11th August 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The best setup for 2000$ ?

Good evening,

I'm a composer, I record only Vocals and D.I (electric guitar and electric bass). I have a budget of pretty much 2000$, I'm looking for a 60s pop sound and more particular this kind of record : Alex Turner- Piledriver Waltz- Submarine with lyrics - YouTube. I know it's been used a AKG C12 and a pultec preamp for the voice. What kind of setup (microphones + preamp) could bring me closer to that sound in my budget ?

Cheers !
Old 11th August 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Anyone?
Old 11th August 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you have a preamp now I would use all your cash, maybe more and buy a mic first.

As far as the mic goes, to really find the best one, you need to try the mics on your voice. I am sure many will sound good but the right one will sound amazing and there is only one way to find the right one.
Old 11th August 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I don't have preamp at the moment, what would u advice like mic and preamp for my budget thus ?
Old 11th August 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
A 60's sound is probably gonna be a tube mic, and you'll have to audition a few to find what fits. Under $2000 will get you something cool, like a Peluso P67.

With your budget, I'd pair that with a clean pre and then color it up with Nebula. That's a great budget solution for a 60's sound (and not just for vocals). For very little money you open up the world of analogue - preamps, tapes, consoles etc. Eqs and reverbs are delicious too. (comps still suck butt however)
Old 11th August 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thank for the replies, but I think I didn't express myself as I meant to, I'm looking for a mic AND a preamp for 2000$.
Old 11th August 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
in that case you need to tell us what setup you already have, because you're not going to get that sound just because of your mic and pre.
Old 11th August 2012
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Based on the info at hand, a combo of a UA LA-610 and Peluso P12 or 2247 would be a pretty good chain. If you look used you should be able to do this for $2k.
Old 11th August 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin ➑️
in that case you need to tell us what setup you already have, because you're not going to get that sound just because of your mic and pre.
Well I work mostly with plugins (ive got a lot....)
Old 11th August 2012
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I think you really need to audition lots of mics and pres head to head in the same session if you can. Everyone's taste is subjective and you'll get lots of great starting points but you really have to try them to know what will work.

Since you work with a lot of plugins, I'd say you may find you're best off with something really clean that you can sculpt. Also the particular singing style and vocal tone will have a huge impact on what works for you.

Personally I've been happy with the two preamps and two mics I have chosen and both are well below $2000 in combination:
GAP73mk2 + SM7b dynamic
Focusrite ISA-one + Stellar CM6 tube condenser

The first is round and warm and the second has a lot of depth, clarity, and air.
πŸ“ Reply