Behringer Xenyx 502 phantom power - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Xenyx 502 phantom power
Old 29th July 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Behringer Xenyx 502 phantom power

Hi!

Does the Xenyx 502 have phantom power? I've read quite a lot about this problem on various forums but some people said it has, some said it hasn't. If it has, how can it be turned off if I don't use a condenser mic? Also if it has phantom is it only on the xlr input or on the jack as well? And what happens if I plug a dynamic mic into it? Would it get damaged?
Thanks in advance!
Old 29th July 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Doesn't have any phantom power I'm afraid. Any preamp/mixer that would will always have a button or switch to engage it, you won't find one that has phantom power on all the time.

As for the phantom power with dynamics, if you had a dodgy cable you could short the mic yes. A sudden volt of power through a dodgy ground could fry your mic.
Old 29th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stetyrrell ➡️
Doesn't have any phantom power I'm afraid. Any preamp/mixer that would will always have a button or switch to engage it, you won't find one that has phantom power on all the time.
I beg to differ - I've seen PA's that have phantom on all the time.
Old 29th July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
As for the phantom power with dynamics, if you had a dodgy cable you could short the mic yes. A sudden volt of power through a dodgy ground could fry your mic.
Absolute Myth....

The PP would simply go to shorted state which all PP supplys incorperate by
Design.

This also applies to Condensers and ribbons
Old 29th July 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
To get phantom you have to go up $20 in the Xenyx line to the 802.

I've never seen a mic get fried, but the loud "pop" you get when plugging/unplugging a mic with phantom power engaged can blow a driver in a stage monitor, easy (seen that one more than once).
Old 2nd November 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ears2thesky ➡️
To get phantom you have to go up $20 in the Xenyx line to the 802.
This is false.

The old 502 didn't have Phantom Power, the new ones do. There are some old one's floating around but I can assure you the Xenyx 502 does come with phantom power. Otherwise my B-1 Studio Condenser Mic would not work.
Old 13th March 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I beg to differ. The Behringer 502 DOES have phantom power and it is NOT switchable. I just bought one second hand, serial number S1013469576 Date code 1 004 and it powers all my condenser mics - Neumann U87Ai, KM184 and a Red5 RV6 perfectly. It is odd Behringer themselves do not claim it has, but none the less it does. Maybe older ones don't, I don't know.
📝 Reply